How many hours is too many hours?

/ How many hours is too many hours? #1  

tkenney65

I have an opportunity to pick up a used X585 4WD (Gas) tractor from my local Deere dealer. It has all the attachments I am looking for (loader, 2-stage snow thrower, 62” mower deck, new tires). It is approx. 4 years old and will be put through the shop for a once over at the dealer prior to sale. My question is, how many hours is too many hours for a used purchase? It has approx. 380 hours on it at trade-in (being traded in for a 2305). Price is right around $10,000. Should I be leary about that amount of hours? How about the price?

Any help is greatly appreciated…

/ How many hours is too many hours? #2  
100 hours a year isn't bad. You're looking at about $13,000 new.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #3  
But I wouldn't give that kinda money for a gas machine....

/ How many hours is too many hours?
Mike,

Why should I avoid the gas machine?

/ How many hours is too many hours? #5  
I checked around on a bit, the closest I could find was a 2003 with 62" mower, no loader or snowblower, 430 hours, priced at $9450

/ How many hours is too many hours? #6  
Fuel usage.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #7  
It's being traded in on a 2305 for a reason. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Believe me if this guy thought it could do what a 2305 can he wouldn't be taking the beating he occurred on this deal, but that is my opinion. Keep in mind, if you decide to get a 3-point and rear PTO add another $1200-$1500, plus the attachments for that guy become very limited in terms of finding anything used. This is not to imply the price is bad, but I personally wouldn't go there, because been there done that and the X-series is a wonderful machine in it's own right, but the 2210/2305 has it covered on all the other points.

/ How many hours is too many hours?
JD2210,

Thanks for the advice. I actually have looked at the 2305 and love it, but fear that it is too much machine for my needs (mowing/light landscaping). Also concerned about not being able to bag the clippings when I mow. How does your 2210 do with regards to this? The price differential for me between the X595 and the 2305 is about $4,000. I could swing it, but would definitely be at my maximum spending wise. I see the future and wonder if I will need more capability and hence don't want to make a bad buying decision but $4,000 is a pretty big bump.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #9  
Hours are fine. Price is high. I purchased my 2003 x585 used (barely), with only 26 hours on it. Included 54" deck, single-stage snow blower, blade, front angle quick hitch, rear weights and bracket. Price was $10,500 (back in 2003). I mow about 1.5 acres, and clear a 700 foot driveway (in Wisconsin, where there's plenty of snow). With the exception of a sheared cable to rotate the snow-blower chute (it was rubbing on the black plastic cover), the machine has functioned flawlessly.

/ How many hours is too many hours? #10  
Hours are fine. Price is high. I purchased my 2003 x585 used (barely), with only 26 hours on it. Included 54" deck, single-stage snow blower, blade, front angle quick hitch, rear weights and bracket. Price was $10,500 (back in 2003). I mow about 1.5 acres, and clear a 700 foot driveway (in Wisconsin, where there's plenty of snow). With the exception of a sheared cable to rotate the snow-blower chute (it was rubbing on the black plastic cover), the machine has functioned flawlessly.