Mowing

/ Mowing #1  

Arcane

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7800
Mowing season has arrived and I'm looking to upgrade. I have a JD 4115, FEL, BH. The tractor is 24hp, 19hp at the PTO.

I have 4 acres of slightly sloping, bumpy fields surrounded by stone walls, that I'm currently cutting with an LX4. It looks terrible, and takes too long.

Midmount mower vs. rear mower? Are the MMMs as good and convenient as claimed?
If I go with a rear mower, 60" vs 72"?

Thanks in advance.

/ Mowing #2  
If you have wide open areas and very few obstacles to deal with (meaning you are now going around couple hundred trees) get the rear mower, 72" (the difference in price between it and 60" is peanuts). Now, as for cut quality you will love it, because it runnings on 4-wheels and tracks the ground very nicely. IMO, the advantage of a MMM is getting around obstacles and it makes the unit much more compact, no added length to the machine as opposed to the pull behind.

/ Mowing #3  
You migth want to consider a zero radius mower - I am sold on them for cutting grass in a hurry. I had a LX-4 on my 2210 and it didnt do a very good either.

D.

/ Mowing #4  
I agree, love my zero turn and can't imagine life without it now, and if your budget supports it, then I would suggest making the move in that direction and leave the 4115 dressed to kill (loader and backhoe equipped).

/ Mowing #5  
I have the 72" 7-iron MMM on my 3320 and love it! For the slope degrees I cut I do not want to be in a ZTR and in fact in the really sloped areas I go back to the 1973 Simplicity 4041 which is just slight larger than the 4115. If you are buying a new mower for the 4115 and already have the LX4 opt for the 72" MMM that you can use on your machine. BAck when I was researching what is now my 3320 - the 4115 stood out because of the option to use the 72" MMM.

/ Mowing
Neither the Deere, nor the Woods, nor the Land Pride dealers would "let me" buy a 72" RFM, saying I would be unhappy with the cut. I wonder what that says about the advertised hp of the 4115.
Especially odd because the 2320 configurator specs the Deere 272 72" RFM.

I went with a 60" Land Pride RFM, and got a 72" landscape rake with wheels. More time in the seat!