Tractor help, thinking 2305?

/ Tractor help, thinking 2305? #1  

glasslaker

I’m looking for a CUT. I’ve just about decided on a JD 2305 but am a little hesitant. Here’s my situation.

I’m in the process of building a house. My wife and I own 4 acres. It’s all field. There is an old 4 stall horse barn on the south 2 acres. We plan on fixing up the barn and keeping my wives 2 horses on the property. We will be converting the south 2 acres to horse pasture.

So here’s what I’m looking to do with the tractor. Mow 2 acres, install 2 acres of fencing, snow removal, maintain horses and pasture, whatever odds and ends need to be done after the house is complete.

The reason I’m hesitant with the 2305 is the limited cat. 1 3 point hitch. I believe I need a 4 ft auger to install the fence posts and the limited cat. 1 hitch won’t allow me to use a 4ft. auger. From the specs I’ve seen the 2520 and the 2320 are full cat. 1 hitches. The 2520 is really more than I want to spend and the 2320 isn’t out yet.

I think the 2320 would put me at the max I would want to spend. Anybody have any idea when the 2320 may be coming out. Also I’m not 100% green and would be open to alternatives if anybody has suggestions.

Thanks for all your help

/ Tractor help, thinking 2305? #2  
If i were you i would spend the exta money for the 2520 then i would load the tires with rim guard and get a set of Pallet forks i got a set of mine and i use them more than my fel bucket dont listen to the people that tell you it wont lift any thing it will lift plenty i would estimate max at about 700 lbs about 3ft off thr ground , also the 2520 as larger rear tires and that adds to more stability and a safer tractor , mine does a good job of rough cutting with a brush hog 48" squlear, its also abot as small as i would go to drag a harrow with to spread horse presents with in the paddocks ,just my 2 cents

"

/ Tractor help, thinking 2305?
thanks for your thoughts.

I did test drive a 2520 and it was very nice. The stability factor is of concern as there are some steep hills on the property.

I'm having a hard time parting with the money and my wife keeps telling me it's more then we need. Although there is a toy factor in it for me I'm not sure I believe it's too much tractor.

/ Tractor help, thinking 2305? #4  
I'd go with the 2520 or 2320 (when available) over the 2305 for your uses (and I just ordered a 2305). You'll want the extra clearance unless the fields are pretty level and just prairie grass (i.e. predictable bushhog conditions). I guess I'm assuming you'll be bushhogging - maybe you're talking finish mowing? I'd also check more on the rear post hole digger - doesn't sound right that you couldn't use a "standard" digger (normally 46" or so with ~42" useable) with a limited Cat 1.

Might look at the 790 or 990 or the 4100 sereis as well. I know the 2520 was about a $5K jump over the 2305 - not sure what the 2320 will be.

Good Luck!

Scott

It will be finish mowing. For now I don't think I'll have a use for a brush hog. I will have to do a fair bit of ground work to level some areas out.

As for the auger. I guess I need to do more research. I've been told I need a 4ft. hole for the post (to clear frost line in upstate NY). The JD dealer told me I couldn't get 4ft with the limited cat.1 hitch but I could with a full cat. 1.

I was quoted about 5k more for the 2520. I'm hoping the 2320 comes in about 2k more than the 2305. However, I'd like to get the tractor in the next 3 months and I'm not sure if the 2320 will be out in time. I wish they would give an updated eta on the 2320 release.

I would like to stick with the deere but with everything going on $ is tight. Any thoughts on other manufacturers models around 15K.

Thanks

/ Tractor help, thinking 2305? #6  
glasslaker,
You stated earlier that you're not 100% green: not trying to start a war on the JD forum, but I too was looking at this same size and needed it back in the beginning of spring. I also had heard rumors of the 2320 coming out for over a year and a half, and can't believe its' still not out. Your JD 2320 competitors are: CaseIH DX 26, New Holland TC 26, Massey Ferguson 1523, Kubota 7610/2630. Also, identical to the Massey are the AGCO ST24A and the Challenger MT225. These are all small-framed CUT's with full cat. I. I ended up with the Massey 1523. Here in NC it was $4,000.00 less than the JD 2520. $9,600.00 vs. $13,800.00, and I was told the 2320 would come out at around $12,000.00. I test drove and loved the 2520, but for me it was just a little more than I wanted (size and price).

/ Tractor help, thinking 2305? #7  
glasslaker,

Are you sure you need to put the posts in that deep? You're not putting a foundation for a home. Anyway, if you do indeed need to go to that depth, then you have answered your question. Unfortunately the 2320 has been delayed for a second time. The first delay pushed it back to the first week in May, and then the second as a "tentative" July date. We'll see. There is another possibility though, you may be able to find a 4110 (being replaced by the 2320). It may just give you everything you wanted.

/ Tractor help, thinking 2305? #8  
glasslaker -

finish mowing = 2305
snowblowing = 2305
horse maintenance = 2305
ground leveling = need more info, but 2305 can do quite a bit.
fencing = ???

I'm not sure what kind of fence you're putting in...electric, barbed wire, regular wire, etc. I live in MN so I'm familiar with the frost line issue - we never had a problem with it on our farm (electric with 8" corner posts).

If you need the post hole digger for *every* post, then it's a need. If it's only corners you can rent a tractor and post digger if need be for that.

Scott

I appreciate the competitive manufacturer model information. When I get more time later tonight I'll look them up.

I actually haven’t considered used but the 4110 isn't a bad idea. I'll have to talk to the dealer and see what kind of used equipment he has.

As far as fencing I was thinking of wooden fencing or wooden posts with electrical wire. I'm new to this and haven’t given it as much thought as I should have.

I'm trying to get everything straitened out with the house right now. I just know we'll have to do something after we move in. So while I'm working on the house I want to get a tractor. I just want to make sure I'm not being an idiot when I buy it. I'm trying to think of everything I will be doing and things I may be doing.

It's been said here before that you can do smaller jobs with a bigger tractor but you can't do bigger jobs with a smaller tractor. I'm just trying to follow that advice.

I know nothing about the horses, that's my wife’s deal, but I'll do what's necessary for her. She did say we could get metal stake fencing with electric wire and clips. Like I said I'll have to delve into this more. Right now my time has been consumed with the house.

I guess what I'm trying to prevent is buying a tractor now only to upgrade it in a year or two because it wasn’t enough tractor.

As far as ground work. There are a lot of ruts and holes. I plan on making things as smooth as possible for the horses and for finish mowing/lawn.

Thanks for all your help and comments. It's given me a lot to think about.

/ Tractor help, thinking 2305? #10  
glasslaker said:
I appreciate the competitive manufacturer model information. When I get more time later tonight I'll look them up.

I actually haven’t considered used but the 4110 isn't a bad idea. I'll have to talk to the dealer and see what kind of used equipment he has.

As far as fencing I was thinking of wooden fencing or wooden posts with electrical wire. I'm new to this and haven’t given it as much thought as I should have.

I'm trying to get everything straitened out with the house right now. I just know we'll have to do something after we move in. So while I'm working on the house I want to get a tractor. I just want to make sure I'm not being an idiot when I buy it. I'm trying to think of everything I will be doing and things I may be doing.

It's been said here before that you can do smaller jobs with a bigger tractor but you can't do bigger jobs with a smaller tractor. I'm just trying to follow that advice.

I know nothing about the horses, that's my wife’s deal, but I'll do what's necessary for her. She did say we could get metal stake fencing with electric wire and clips. Like I said I'll have to delve into this more. Right now my time has been consumed with the house.

I guess what I'm trying to prevent is buying a tractor now only to upgrade it in a year or two because it wasn’t enough tractor.

As far as ground work. There are a lot of ruts and holes. I plan on making things as smooth as possible for the horses and for finish mowing/lawn.

Thanks for all your help and comments. It's given me a lot to think about.

glass,

I wasn't suggesting used. There are still some 4110's available!