Who has bought a JD gun safe??

/ Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #1  

gordon21

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 790
Can anyone give me some feedback on the paint quality of a JD safe? I am interested in model JG23GU or the 8 logo model JL23-GG if still available. These are the 23 cu foot burgandy gloss models.

http://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5263_fb_Safes.htm

Who are they made by? The specs are suspiciously similar to those from Liberty. The prices seem in line with most other mfgr prices for generic type logos, so for the same money, I could get the JD version.

/ Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #2  
So I did the research on gun safes two years ago and I found that the champion safes were a far better investment than any of the Libertys or clones. I bought a 36 CUFt Challenger CH35 in granite color and I LOVE it. It has far thicker doors, a 1350 one hour rating (double Libertys), door was almost twice as thick, and had more door bolts that were also thicker. Price was $1800 delivered to the room.

So the trick to testing gun safes is to 1. Put your knee into the middle of the inside of the door and grab the upper right hand side and flex it if you can - nicer safes you are not going to flex. and 2. reach into the inner upper left side of the fron of teh safe. That is the thinnest part of the safe - the nicer ones you will feel how heavy duty they are.

All safes are steel so you can buy a magnetized emblem and place whatever grafic you want on them.

The research I did on other buyers was that none of them complained about buying too ugly a safe or not enough security components - the only complaints I found were that people did not buy a big enough safe.

People always say they want a safe and not very many people buy them. I look at the value of the guns/collections and cannot justify not having one.

/ Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #3  
Last edited:
   / Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #4  
I currently have two gun safes - one is a 36 cuft granite painted with no logo made by Liberty with a 1280/75 minute rating. The other one is a JD 23 cuft with a 1280/45minute rating. The JD is for my guns and the other one is where I store papers, pictures, etc..

The biggest difference between Liberty and other safes that I could find were the other safes were placed in a fire and the clock started. Once they reached the 1289 temperature, they were taken out and the time it took is what is given to that safe - hence the 45 minutes or whatever it was.

Liberty does the same test but the clock doesn't start UNTIL it reaches that temperature outside and the clock stops once the inside reaches around 220 degress if I remember right.

From what I could find, Liberty safes were top of the line safes. A lot of bank vaults are made by Liberty.

/ Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #6  
Browning The Best There Is. Check their reason to buy Browning on the internet.

/ Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #7  
The best safes aren't Browning. After I said that my safe is a browning. The only people getting it to a high quality safe have a random number generator which goes on the safe dial and tries every possible combination until the save opens. They can open a four number safe inside of an hour. The best safes have a five number dial which exponentially increasing the number of possible combination thus greatly increasing the time to open. Those safes are for jewelry stores storing millions of dollars of jewelry, not the average homeowner storing their guns.

/ Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #8  
The newer Brownings have three choices of security. I have the mechanical dial with a key lock, there is a fingerprint reader and the S&G electronic lock with many technical security features. I didn't know about the number generators. I have a number pad on our winter home in Florida a d two four number garage door wireless pads.Locks keep honest people out.

/ Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #9  
I have the largest one they make . It has a dial . It is in my shop with an old tarp over it . If you find it ,you won’t be able to lift it and my dog will kill you .

/ Who has bought a JD gun safe?? #10  
The newer Brownings have three choices of security. I have the mechanical dial with a key lock, there is a fingerprint reader and the S&G electronic lock with many technical security features. I didn't know about the number generators. I have a number pad on our winter home in Florida a d two four number garage door wireless pads.Locks keep honest people out.
Us TBN guys aren't dealing with bank vault thieves. All we have to do is keep crack heads with a crowbar and cordless grinder out. Somebody that has a number generator isn't worried about your key pad. They are busy robbing multi million dollar stores.