How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #1  

tglass

Platinum Member
Tractor
3320 w/cab
Been around a year since I've bought my 3320 cab model and overall wanted to see how other people like theirs. I personally don't know how I lived without mine, except for J.D./dealer support in the past. Any input?

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #2  
I bought a 4720 open station last year before the cabs came out. I bought a 5525 cab to go with it. A cab tractor is the real deal. I do not know how I lived without one. I get so much more done with it being comfortable, etc. The 4720 still gets used for smaller projects, etc - but man - a cab 4720 sure would be nice.

D.

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #3  
I know I'll never have anything less than a Cab Tractor again... John Deere as of right now still has the best Cabs available for this size tractor. Nothing else compares, and I mean nothing.... nobody has a better cab. Not Kubota, Not even the latest New Hollands have come close to beating this cab.

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #4  
I LOVE mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #5  
I only had my cab 3720 for a few weeks but do drive large ag tractors with cabs. No doubt about it, cabs are nice to work in. Mowed 6 hours with it yesterday. The upside strongly out weighs the downside.
UPSIDE: Can work comfortably in almost any weather. Much quieter. No dust, bugs, exhaust fumes etc. Cabs have rear view mirrors for road travel. Can easily listen to radio. Can't hear my wife yelling at me.:D

DOWNSIDE: Overall more difficult to get on and off seat. Sometimes so quite can't tell if having problems with tractor or implement. (ie scalping ground with mower, tractor lugging too much, something broke on implement or tractor, implement hit something), Difficult to get someone's attention - can't yell through glass (considering getting a horn). Perception that uneven ground seems rougher than open station (I believe this is due to cab movement on rough ground give sense of greater motion). On relatively cool days still need to use A/C because of greenhouse effect of so much glass. Can't see rear wheels because of tractor fender/cab (sometimes difficult to tell if wheels spinning or not).

Improvements I would like to see:
-be able to get off/on either side of cab. However this is the case for most cab tractors. Some ag tractors can get off/on both sides.
-quarter rear windows that open like Kubota has. Our ag tractors have these and on cooler days, you can open windows to get cross ventilation. Dont get good air flow with only rear window open.
-option for more tint to glass
-reversal of placement of 3 pt lift control and 3rd/rear hydraulic control. 3 pt used much more than hydraulic.
-no visual method to determine if in A,B or C range or control lever. Kind of have to use sense of feel and general position of lever. Electronic indicator on dash?

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #6  
Excellent post!

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #7  
The other downside I have seen discussed about cab tractors is they seem to be less stable (or at least appear that way) on slopes due to their higher center of gravity.

Despite some of the downsides mentioned, I can see myself possibly trading towards a cab model in the future. Time will tell (especially winter time).

Here are a few other related threads.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/jd-buying-pricing/86561-3020-series-cab-any-regrets.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/jd-owning-operating/86958-just-bought-4720-cab-unhappy.html

I did have another question about cabs. When getting on and off of my tractor when it's raining, the platform gets extremely muddy, especially with clay. With a cab tractor, would it be a problem to hose down the platform? I imagine the design allows for this but I wanted to ask since I'm sure someone has some experience with this.

Last edited:
   / How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #8  
Neophyte said:
The other downside I have seen discussed about cab tractors is they seem to be less stable (or at least appear that way) on slopes due to their higher center of gravity.

Despite some of the downsides mentioned, I can see myself possibly trading towards a cab model in the future. Time will tell (especially winter time).

Here are a few other related threads.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/jd-buying-pricing/86561-3020-series-cab-any-regrets.html
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/jd-owning-operating/86958-just-bought-4720-cab-unhappy.html

I did have another question about cabs. When getting on and off of my tractor when it's raining, the platform gets extremely muddy, especially with clay. With a cab tractor, would it be a problem to hose down the platform? I imagine the design allows for this but I wanted to ask since I'm sure someone has some experience with this.

The rubber mat on the floor is essentially flat and should be easy to wash out. I usually just vacumm mine.
The JD 3x20 series do seem tippy. This may be more due to narrow wheel base rather than cab. However, the cab does weigh 500-600 lbs and much of that weight is high and the center of gravity is certainly raised. I thought a few weeks ago, I might tip it over. Was trying to push a small tree out of a dried up pond. One side of the rear end slid into a deeper, soft spot when trying to back up and the tractor was already on a slope. I was barely moving at the time but the pucker factor went way up. I could almost imagine myself slowly tipping over. Instinctively, I tried to grab something but in a cab, there isn't much to grab but the armrest. Traction was poor and any spinning made it tip more. Carefully I used the bucket to push me backward as I gently backed up onto firm ground.

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #9  
I have a 3720 cab model and mow miles of trails though the woods. A huge benefit for me is the protection from branches. Branches now slip by the streamlined and curved surfaces of the cab without catching on anything, most importantly, my face. A welcome change from my previous, non-cab tractor.

The 3720 is compact, very nimble, but still has lots of power. A good design.

/ How do you like it now? 3x20 4x20 cab #10  
Local dealer finally got some cabs in. Will check them out soon!