Canopy Question

/ Canopy Question #1  

papafoxtrot

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 3520
Hi Folks,

This is my first post, although I've been lurking here for a while now, just soaking up the vast knowledge that resides here. I've just ordered a new 3520 from a great dealer in Arab, Alabama. This guy and his knowledge and friendly attitude was what sealed the deal, although having the best price around didn't hurt things either. What I learned here was instrumental in my decisin making process and I'd like to thank all you folks for answering all the questions I never even had to ask.

One question I would like to ask that I've not seen much press on (probably more my failing than anything, but) is the JD canopies. I noticed there were two varieties and was wondering about the pros and cons of the two models. I definately want a canopy so the reflection off my head doesn't blind airline pilots flying over my place, but is the deluxe worth the funds or will the stanard suffice?

/ Canopy Question #2  
I wasn't aware that they offered different ones for the 3x20 series. (Except aftermarket of course).

I have a canopy on my 3320 and on my 2305. The 3320 one is the Deluxe one I think. It's fiberglass, solid as a rock and durable. I've hit many a branch and it's fine. It covers a lot of area (protects my noggin from the Sun) and I'm glad I got it. I used my 2305 for a year without one and I'm glad I got one for it also.

The frame is very rugged steel and I'm sure I could stand on top of the Canopy where the steel supports are underneath.

Yes, I do hit branches I wouldn't otherwise but it's worth it. I haven't tried folding the rops with it on but it will still fold. It'll be quite a bit heavier and will stick out toward the back though.

The frame of the canopy also gives you a lot of places to mount things should you desire (Radio, lights, etc.). Plenty of steel to mount things to.

Anyway, that's my two cents even though I didn't answer the standard vs deluxe question. ;)

/ Canopy Question #3  
Got a canopy with my 3520. Great decision. I have folded it back with the canopy attached. It allows me to park it in my garage. When folded back it sits just a hair off my rear tires. I place bolts in the holes the pins come out of (on the part that is folding down) and they rest on the ROPS frame giving me about an inch of clearence. I back it into my garage and there is a few inches of clearence at the top.

/ Canopy Question #4  
I have a canopy on my 3720 and like it alot. Much better than their older ones.
You can take a look at my gallery. Not sure if there is a close up there or not.
The deluxe has a radio in it. yuk.

/ Canopy Question
slaveToHorses said:
I have a canopy on my 3720 and like it alot. Much better than their older ones.
You can take a look at my gallery. Not sure if there is a close up there or not.
The deluxe has a radio in it. yuk.

From what I can tell they both use the same frame. The deluxe is hard fiberglass while the standard is fabric. Where do I go to look at your gallery?

/ Canopy Question #7  
Thanks Neophite.
Turns out there wasn't any decent canopy shots there so I just added a couple more. Not great but much better.

/ Canopy Question #9  
Those are the folks that make the John Deere canopy anyway. Good stuff. I guess I have the deluxe canopy because mine is fiberglass. But I saw another 3x20 at the dealership that had basically the same canopy but it had a console with a radio and speakers. I thought having a radio in an open station tractor was kind of stupid. Headphones with music, fine, but open speakers? I assumed that was the deluxe version.