Dealer For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #1  

joes_427_vette

Veteran Member
Tractor
IH Cub Lo Boy, 955 John Deere , TC 55 DA New Holland, Bolens HT 20 and 1456
The John Deere dealer where I bought the 4110 would not throw in a fender handle like the literature shows. Also said he would give me a deal on the mid mounted mower they had in stock. Turns out it wouldn't fit and offered a new one at near list price. Found a new mower at another dealer and when I put it on it was missing 2 metric washers and fasteners. Didn't know what size so I asked for them to be shipped. Dealer and John Deere service stated they were not needed and not included. I guess I'm supposed to listen to the top shields rattle while I mow the lawn.
I replaced my big tractor with a New Holland TC 55 DA ordered five weeks ago. Would like to have had a green one but I like good dealer service and they did not meet my expectations.

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #2  
Well, $32 either way is a push. If the dealer sucks - you did the right thing regardless.

D.

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #3  
joes_427_vette said:
Would like to have had a green one ...

You must not have wanted green that bad. $32 is peanuts compared to the overall cost.

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #4  
Gatorboy said:
You must not have wanted green that bad. $32 is peanuts compared to the overall cost.

He might have thought he wanted the green one at first,but soon learned he did not. Could it be the principal of the whole deal he is against,no matter the color or brand? A bad deal is a bad deal is it not? Just like poor service whether at the dealer or company level.......

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #5  
Except for minor differences and a few known kinks, I saw the major differences between the various sCUT tractors as one of color. With that in mind, my choice was for a good dealer. And, I can tell you: A GOOD DEALER IS HARD TO FIND!!!

I now have a Massey Ferguson GC2300 with a FEL and am very happy. No fenders that crack, rocker HST pedal, cruise control, no slam stops, dual FEL pistons, gauges I can easily read - yep, life is good.

In the end, I consider myself lucky that the other dealers were so negative and uninterested in making a sale. My tractor is perfect for my needs and the dealer is great.

When it gets time for money to change hands - it is all about the comfort level and not just a few dollars.

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #6  
Good for the dealer. As a business person if I have someone that walks on a large deal for $32.00 I probably don't want them as a customer!! Most of those folks end up costing me alot more than $32 in agravation.

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #7  
ICGREEN said:
Good for the dealer. As a business person if I have someone that walks on a large deal for $32.00 I probably don't want them as a customer!! Most of those folks end up costing me alot more than $32 in agravation.

I totally disagree. Just because a customer is fighting for every dollar doesn't mean he will be a bad customer.

In my job I am the person who purchases most, no all, big dollar items, (over $1,000.00).

I have been doing this for over 5 years. I am what I consider a good customer. After we make the deal if you live up to what you agreed to you never hear from me again. But in the initial negoations I will tell you if you make any money of of me I have done a poor job neogating the cost. I am a shopper and I am loyal to one thing and that is the dollars spent. If X sell something and Y has the same thing, and i mean the same, cheaper then Y gets my business. Pure and simple. Some dealers try to make too much mark up. In a capatolistic society like we have supply and demand rules. If you have a demand you set the price. If you have no demand i set the price. Look at Ford 5 years ago they would of never thought of given you the deals they are now. But they can't sell vehicles. You can buy a Ford a very near cost today. I guess I am the reason why so many start-up companies go belly up. If they don't know how to negoiate then they shouldn't be in the business of selling.

Some dealers just think the customer needs to lay down and say rape me when they are buying something.

I consider the orginal post this way. If the dealer wouldn't come up with the $32.00 then the dealer would be a bad dealer in the long run.

Just my thoughts.

Don

PS I have walked away from deals for less $100.00. Only to have the sales people to come back at a latter date and say OK we will make the deal. I then say too late, I bought it already from your competion.

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #8  
I agree here as a dealer(not JD). In some cases I have had some customers that will ask for everything for free. You give good discounts on the tractor and implements and then they want more and if you do some more then they ask for still more.

I had one customer who was in for 6 hours. He pushed, asked for and got an extremely good deal on a great little tractor. I delivered to him for free (62 mi.)filters, fuel additive and a few other things.

We pick up fix and reurn free of charge on any warranty need. After 5 weeks he called and said he had a whine driving down the road at full speed that was excessive(he never owned a compact tractor). I picked the tractor up to check it out and no problem, just the higher gears doing what they do.

He called 2 weeks later and said it was driving him nuts. I went out to his place and re-confirmed that it was normal. 2 weeks later he drove to my store and wanted to drive some of the other same models on the lot to see if they do the same and guess what, they do.

After this he said he wanted to trade up to a larger tractor and I just flat said no as he was becoming a real irritant(his real goal was to go from a value compact to a premium). When he was ready to leave he asked me if I would throw him some more free stuff because he drove up and at this point I not only said no but told him if I got a call for any more warranty I would pick it up as promised but if it was nothing wrong he would pay a $150.00 fee as well as time involved. If it was a real warranty need he would have to pay nothing but I had to stop this foolishness and it worked.

He has not called since then and I know he uses his tractor lots and has no problems. If I had to do it all over again with this guy I would send him to another dealer as some people just want something for nothing and they wind up not worth the sale.

I am not saying that the original poster is this way but sometimes as a dealer you have to let a person walk. This is rare but in the last 3 years and a few hundred tractors sold I can identify about 3 customers I would let walk for $32.00 or $1.00 as they are just not worth the constantly having to walk behind and pat their bottom.

I bend over backwards for customer satisfaction but a dealer has to draw a line somewhere and not be abused. This one struck a nerve so sorry for the rant but sometimes you just have to let them go.

Maka

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #9  
DonWorrell said:
But in the initial negoations I will tell you if you make any money of of me I have done a poor job neogating the cost. I am a shopper and I am loyal to one thing and that is the dollars spent. .

And at my dealership you would walk because
I am a shopper and I am loyal to one thing and that is the dollars spent..
we are not only looking out for numero uno but our many loyal customers who expect us to be here for the long term, to our employees who expect to be paid for their loyal and good service, to my wife and children etc. As a dealer if I let you cut a deal where I make no money then I have done a dis-service to not only the eight employees we have and their families then I have done a dis-service to all my other customers who rely on me to be there for them. So if you came in with that attitude then you would leave pretty unhappy. I know I would be far better off.

At our dealership you get free pick up and return on any warranty need. Very good mechanics, excellent service and a dealer who will be there for you years from now for support. We can't do this with customers who are unreasonable and would rather deal with people who understand that you can expect a fair deal, good service and longevity but for this we need to make some money. I am not here to give stuff away and I am not a charity organization. I am fair, offer good products and services and have mouths to feed.

A good deal only happens when the buyer and seller are happy. If one party is unhappy then the deal is no good and it should not happen.

Maka

/ For $32.00 my dealer lost a sale #10  
When I went to the dealer to buy mine I told him straight out I wanted the best deal he could offer. I was going to check other prices, in and out of state. Just as importantly I wanted service not to be put in the rear of the line because of someone more important wanting their's first. Mine cost a little more than some of the other brands, but they evedently didn't take me serious. Dealer gave me the best price, then we talked over other options. Prices were good and a few installation options he threw in free. If we were to argue about a $100 or less I'de have walked out too. If a dealers going to argue about that it tells me about service too. You don't need him. Your still the customer and yes he'de have lost my sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.