Dealer Bizzare JD Dealership Exp.

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #1  

TomKioti

Gold Member
Tractor
Long 2310
I had a strange expierience at a JD dealership in Southeastern Va. last Thursday. Let me state first that I have no bias whatsoever on brand.
I own a very old Long tractor and almost bought a Kioti hence the Tomkioti moniker (and still am not ruling out that brand). In a nutshell I'm still lurking.

Anyway I was so impressed with the drive over deck for the 2320 and the 200cx loader that I had to go check it out (enter salesman). First off, I like a confident saleman that knows his specs and the attributes of his product. That being said this guy was from another world alltogether. According to him there was no other tractor worth a crap except for JD. He told me ALL other brands were inferior at the very least and just plain useless at worst. At that point my wife looked at me and said "honey be nice". I challenged his comments and stated that while I know the standing of JD in the marketplace how could he completely dismiss every other brand of tractor ever made period! Right about that time a flatbed went buy with a NH on the back and I said to him "so that guy isn't gonna get his job done today with that tractor?", he just looked at me with a kinda coolaide drinking stare and said" that's a city owned tractor they always buy the cheapest".

At that point he offered to let me have whirl on a 2320. I told him that I've driven many tractors and unless he has a pile of gravel to dig into I would have to pass. I know this isn't a model of all JD salespeople but man this guy really turned me off. Not on the brand, mind you... but on the sale. I wouldn't buy a Slim Jim from that dealership much less a tractor.

Again let me state "this is NOT a stab at John Deere" just a wierd situation I thought I should share. Thanks for reading.

Tomkioti

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #2  
This to me is really ashame. John Deere has among the best product lines out there and to demean someone else's line to attempt to make your line seem better is really unnecessary. I am a strong supporter of JD. I think they make very nice machines that are tough, durable and comfortable--thusly highly productive. My dealer is really great, and I support JD products in large part due to my loyalty to him. That said, even I, staunch wearer of green and operator of green machines, am not foolish enough to think there are not other good machines out there. In fact, I think in some product lines, JD might not have the best machine. So to me the experience you had with the dealer mentioned is truly unfortunate. I hope this does not blunt your desire to own green, not all dealers are this way.

John M

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp.
Jcmseven.

My sentiments exactly. If I can benifit from a JD purchase I will most certainly take that into serious consideration. God Bless!

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #4  
He's a salesman not a tractor guy. He's selling tractors this week, probably furniture next and washing machines before that. He gambled that you already sold yourself on the tractor and had already researched it thoroughly,(internet) and was just there to help you with the paperwork. If you like the dealer,(close proximity, comfortable with them wrenching on your tractor etc.), go up a notch and talk to the manager or the owner and ask why you should by from him and not the guy down the street. That's my two cents

Dennis

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #5  
If I were selling tractors, I'd be picking your brain with questions determining your usage and needs. Then offer what models I felt might suit you best. Showing options and what your paying for is what most customers want to know. Yes, I have sold motorcycles and ATV's in the past and if I knew of glaring differences between my product and the competition's I would point them out, offer a test ride, and TELL the customer to go test ride the competition's machine and make up their own mind.

As a consumer, if a salesman knows of a competitor's machine's issues, I would want them to tell me about it so I could research it myself.

Kyle,

He never once asked about my uses or needs. I'm a big guy and he did however point that out and told me the 2205 would be tight for a guy my size. I don't think he was trying to insult me but just being realistic. I've been shopping for this purchase for over a year and none of the dealerships ever mentioned other brands in a negative way until that day. I honestly don't think He's aware of how he came off. He probably sells a lot of tractors that way..... just not to me.

I forgot to mention that I watched him work another guy before me and he had this guy talked into a 790 for about 2.5K more than he should have to pay IMHO. I should have known then to run away. Funny thing is the pricing he gave me was about right. I guess he figured I had a clue.

The saga continues. Thanks for the repiies guys!

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #7  
TomK - My JD dealer salesman gave me the exact opposite experience..........we talked about what I intended to use the tractor for (tree farm), horsepower; features; atatchments; etc, and then he and my wife spent the next 30 minutes talking about trees; fertilizer; planting; harvesting; state nurseries; government forestry programs; etc.....an hour later (really!) we finally got back to TRACTORS! ahhhhhhhh.

The point here was that not once did he bash, trash or otherwise disparage another brand. There is even a NH dealer almost next door and he offer to show us which of their models was closest to what JD model we were considering. He really made an effort to get to know us and our needs......he even said that most times brand really only comes down to design reliabiliity; price; and most of all - support. His pitch was that his dealership offered superior support of an outstanding product. And then he recommended a local mom-n-pop restaurant with great pie for lunch (and by the way...this whole conversation took place on a Saturday - AFTER THEY WERE CLOSED!)

My two cents..........

Champy,

I'm definately going to find another dealer and try it again. Sounds like your dealer was a great guy all around. Most of the dealers I've met are more like yours. In general tractor folks are some of the coolest most thoughtful people I've met and this was an isolated exp. I'm sure. Man I just loved that deck and loader. I hate hassling with attachments. I know... I'm lazy but hey it gives me more seat time... right? Thanx for the post!

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #9  
One nice thing about JD is they have a lot of dealerships. Makes it pretty easy to try another if at first you don't succeed. Also, the quality of the product is such that you usually dont have to go back very often after making the purchase.

/ Bizzare JD Dealership Exp. #10  
I have always felt that a salesmen should never run down the competition. Just point out the superior qualities of your product. I wonder how long the salesmen you encountered has been working for the Deere dealership. More importantly, how long will he stay there (or the dealership for that matter).

As others have said, he should be finding out what your needs are. The reality is that there are many fine tractors out there and Deere is certainly one of them. But to make such derogatory remarks about other brands just doesn't make any sense.

I also think you are correct about "driving the tractor". A spin around the parking lot just doesn't do it. You need to have some real work to accomplsih or what is the use of sitting in the seat. You can do almost that much in a showroom. I wonder how many dealers have a pile of rock to move, or something like that. You have a very good idea.

Good luck on your continued search for a tractor.