Deere 750

/ Deere 750 #1  

dennis5150

Iam looking at a deere 750 w/ 4wd, ps,loader, brush hog, 825 hours. They are asking $9k. I have 10 acres, mostly woods,and pasture,with some slope to it but nothing too steep, but some areas can get very soggy during the wet season (generally November to June here in Oregon!). I expect to be clearing heavy brush (blackberry), small trees, some grading, dirt moving, light road building. does anyone have any experience with the 750. I was looking at the new 790, but I would rather trash a $9k machine than a $20k new one. I am afraid it might be too small, light and unstable for these chores? Does any one have any thoughts or experience with the 750.

/ Deere 750 #2  
dennis5150 said:
Iam looking at a deere 750 w/ 4wd, ps,loader, brush hog, 825 hours. They are asking $9k. I have 10 acres, mostly woods,and pasture,with some slope to it but nothing too steep, but some areas can get very soggy during the wet season (generally November to June here in Oregon!). I expect to be clearing heavy brush (blackberry), small trees, some grading, dirt moving, light road building. does anyone have any experience with the 750. I was looking at the new 790, but I would rather trash a $9k machine than a $20k new one. I am afraid it might be too small, light and unstable for these chores? Does any one have any thoughts or experience with the 750.
Just as a price point I know where there is one for sale with w/ 4wd, ps, MMM and a front blade for $6500 with 2000 hours and looks like it has spent a lot of time outside.

/ Deere 750 #3  
Well.. at best it is 17 ys old... perhaps 25 ys old.

Here is info from a dealer in fl:

John Deere 855

24 HP, diesel, 4x4, and hydro-stat transmission. Includes loader. Runs and works good.$8,500.00

Figure a 4' hog is worth 500$.. that puts the money even.. now.. the 855 is 4 more hp, and it's a hydro.. I'm pretty sure the 750 didn't have a hydro option.

I'd keep that one int he back of my head and keep looking. if you don't find anything else, perhaps ask if he will take an offer, and try to get 600$+ off.. etc..

You also have the chinese option of getting a new 25hp, 4x4 and loader and a mower for just under that price you are looking at ( probably ).. etc..

here are some tractordata stats:

John Deere

Manufactured: 1981 - 1989

Cost: (US Dollars) $10,000 (1989)

Power:
Engine (HP): 20
PTO (HP): 15

Engine:
Manufacturer: Yanmar
Fuel: diesel
Cylinders: 3
Bore/Stroke (inches): 3.15 x 3.35
Displacement (ci): 78.2
Compression:
Rated RPMs: 2400
Torque (ft-lbs):
Firing order:
Oil capacity (qts):

Transmission:
Forward: 8
Reverse: 2

MFWD: optional

Capacity:
Fuel (Gal): 6.2
Cooling (Qt): 1.125

Power Take-off (PTO):
Type:
Rear speed (RPM): 540

Tires:
Ag front: 4.00-15
Ag rear: 9.5-24

Dimensions:
Weight (pounds): 1800
Wheelbase (inches): 61

/ Deere 750 #4  
dennis5150:

Welcome to TBN :D! My property profile is similar to yours. I used a tractor much smaller than a JD 750 and made it work for many years. I do not think the 750 will be too small, light, or unstable (especially if you weight the tires). Jay

/ Deere 750 #5  
I had a new JD 750 back in about 1984. I also had a JD 7 backhoe on it. It was ok for light work, but as I remember it it was very small and not very stable. I traded it shortly there after for a Ford 1710. I think the price is high. Also for the work you're considering I think it is too small.

Andy

/ Deere 750 #6  
I've owned a JD750 and here are my thoughts on them.
The Yanmar 3cylinder gets all good marks for reliability. I never had any trouble with the geared tranny. I was dissapoined with the PTO horse power when bush hogging thick bushes. 15 pto hp isn't much. The largest bushhog I'd use is 4ft. The stability of the tractor leaves alot to be desired. I eventually sold it in favor of a 39hp farmtrac. One of the good things about the 750 is it can fit in very narrow places. I used to weave between tree's without a problem....until I came to a slope. fwiw, my tires were loaded.
The technology used in the 750 is proven, so no suprises there.
I added a Bush Hog front loader to my 750 and while it worked for most jobs, it would not lift all the things I needed to.
If you intend to use any implements larger than 4ftish, and have jobs that require signifigant pto hp (ie, bushhogging thick stuff) I'd pass on the 750. Otherwise, its a fine machine as long as you stay on level ground. It was my first tractor and I learned alot from it. It will do alot of work, but it has limitations that I could not accept so I moved up. I paid $7000 for mine, it had 720hrs when I bought it. No power steering on mine, so thats worth some extra $ if you plan to use a front loader much.
Here is a pic of mine with its brand new front end loader and toothbar. That little bucket would dig like heck, but it wouldn't lift much.
tractor.jpg

Last edited:
   / Deere 750 #7  
I had a 750 2wd with ag tires that I liked pretty well. It would handle a 4ft bush hog without too much trouble. I had a 48" tiller for it and it would do fine in 1st gear but would pull down in 2nd. I sold it and bought a new 790 MFWD this fall. The 790 is twice the tractor the 750 was. I can pull a 62" tiller in 3rd gear and the engine doesn't pull down at all. I would say that $9,000 is on the high side. Most dealers with 750 4wd's are asking around $6000 to $6500 without the loader which I still think is a little high. Go for the new 790 if you can afford it, you will not regret it. Too bad Deere is not still offering 0% financing :(

/ Deere 750 #8  
BobinIL said:
I had a 750 2wd with ag tires that I liked pretty well. It would handle a 4ft bush hog without too much trouble. I had a 48" tiller for it and it would do fine in 1st gear but would pull down in 2nd. I sold it and bought a new 790 MFWD this fall. The 790 is twice the tractor the 750 was. I can pull a 62" tiller in 3rd gear and the engine doesn't pull down at all. I would say that $9,000 is on the high side. Most dealers with 750 4wd's are asking around $6000 to $6500 without the loader which I still think is a little high. Go for the new 790 if you can afford it, you will not regret it. Too bad Deere is not still offering 0% financing :(

DEERE IS STILL OFFERING 0% 36MO. FINANCING
WWW.DEERE.COM

:)

/ Deere 750 #9  
750 is a nice little tractor, but that price is too high. I see them all the time for $6000 w/ a loader.