JD 790

/ JD 790 #1  

ratterrier29

Tractor
john deere 790 2 wd
I am thinking of buying a 2001 John Deere 790 2 wd with 315 hours. The tractor was used exclusively for rototilling. What is a fair price? Is there any specific things I should look for? I am aware of problems with battery and cables.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

/ JD 790 #2  
The 2WD might be an issue depending upon your future needs. Unless you are on flat land all the time, I would give this some serious thought. There is no way i could have done all the things I did without the 4WD.

Combine any of these conditions and you will want all four wheels helping:

Going straight up a hill over 15 degrees
Loose soil or gravel
Wet conditions
Packed wet clay
Too much weight on the back

I got myself into a cople situations where I needed to go up a short 20+ degree hill with a backhoe on the back. The only way I made it was to have my son in law sit on the top of the FEL and give me 200# of front ballast and to let those front wheels do their 4WD job. 1st gear in low and away we went. You can take all feet and hands off everything and just wait for the ride to be over in a minute or two.

/ JD 790 #3  
Source: The Official Tractor Blue Book- 2007 Edition

2001 JD 790 2WD App Retail New- $10829 Used Trade in Avg $4770 - $5740
Used Retail Avg. $7150- $7800
25HP, 91ci, 3 cyl, Yanmar engine, 8F-2R speeds

(add $500.00 for 4WD)

/ JD 790
thank you. if there is any other info that might be useful i would certainly appreciate it. the jd dealer would go to 6600 but no lower. I made a deposit and will pick the tractor the middle of next month. i'm sure i'll be asking questions from you experts. i haven't used a tractor in 40 years.

thanks again,

jim