New 3520 ordered yesterday

/ New 3520 ordered yesterday #1  

savageayape

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD3520
Well, I'm new to this forum and new to owning a tractor. I've driven many before, but this is the first one I can call my own. After spending many hours reading everyone's posts on this site, and analyzing my needs in comparison to what I can afford, I decided to order a 3520. I'm getting e-hydro, 300cx fel w/73" HD bucket and tooth bar, iMatch Quick Hitch, engine coolant heater, vertical exhaust (because I like the way it looks), rear work light, automotive style cruise control, 3rd SCV, delivery about 25 or 30 miles away. With tax, out the door for a grand total of $23,400. I checked around with three different dealers on this JD, but I also was considering a Kubota and NH, so I looked at a couple of those dealers as well. Once I decided on the model I wanted, I started shoping the dealers. It's not as good a deal as I've seen others receive on this site, but I think it's a pretty good deal. Remember, the $23,400 includes 6% tax in Indiana. w/o tax it's 22,076.

Just to let you all know... I just purchased 41 acres in Owen County IN. It has about 10 acres rolling open area and about 31 acres wooded with trails already cut through the wooded area. There is a small 1/2 to 3/4 acre pond and a shelter house.

My next decision has to do with which rotary cutter to purchase. I've read other posts with regard to this, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask the question one more time. I'm definately planning on getting on 6' wide, but which model and brand? I've been considering Frontier, Woods and Land Pride. At first I wanted to get a KK, but after some of the posts I've read and after looking at the new yet rusted one's @ TSC, I've decided against the cheap route. I'm also planning to purchase the TSC 3pt log splitter. I may also pick up a box blade to serve double duty as a box blade and balast for when using the fel.

Now I have to wait for delivery...4 January, 2007

Attachments

• 100_0662.JPG
    100_0662.JPG
    985.3 KB · Views: 519
Last edited:
   / New 3520 ordered yesterday #2  
Can't help with the rotary cutter... But I do have a Landpride BB that I would recommend. Congrats on your new 3000 series tractor... I stopped by my dealer tonight on the way by and looked over a 3720 w/cab... sweeeet tractors. Had to get out of there fast :D .

Pretty pic of your land...

/ New 3520 ordered yesterday #3  
Welcome to the site and congrats on the new tractor!

For a 3520, the only 6' cutter Deere recommends is an LX6 (light duty) model. When going with a medium-duty cutter, they suggest a 5' model.

If you are just going to be mowing that lovely open area, then the LX6 should work fine. I use my 3520 & LX6 to mow ~10 acres of pasture and it does a great job. However, if you are going to be clearing some of that forest, you should consider going with a medium-duty cutter.

Of course, your question was about "brand"...
I've not used any brand but the Deere. It's kind of expensive, but comes with chains & slip-clutch that are offered as added-cost options on other brands. When shopping, be sure to compare all the features & options included in the price.

/ New 3520 ordered yesterday #4  
Why is your delivery Jan 4th? Seems kind of long.
Any of the brands you listed are good for a rotary cutter and I would also add rhino. I personally believe the 6' is the way to go for that size of tractor and the JD MX 6' will work just fine if that is what you want. I tend to always favor the medium duty over the light duty cutters. The light duty cutters seem to have arrived in the past 10 years, probably as an attempt to reduce costs. If just mowing mostly grass and light brush the light duty will do just fine. Consider buying a used 6' medium duty over a new light duty cutter if cost is a consideration. I bought a used 6' rhino medium duty 10 years ago for $400 and never had a single issue with it. Driveline, gear box (hp rating) and deck thickness are the critical factors. I personally believe slip clutches may be overkill for most CUT's unless you have lots of rocks. I mowed down 200 cedar trees recently with my old 6' rhino and didn't break any shear bolts. Some diameters were up to 4" but went very slowly over the bigger trees.
You have lots of time to look around for different brands and options. Happy hunting.

/ New 3520 ordered yesterday
I requested the January 4th delivery date to give me a little more time to save some money. I just put a 25 % down payment on the land and I don't want to leave myself with too little emergency money.

Why does JD recommend against the 6' medium duty tractors for the 3520? I don't understand why a 6' light duty is ok, but a medium duty is not.

If I can find a good used cutter, I would like to go that route, but most of the used cutters I've seen look to be in poor shape. Do any of you guys have suggestions as to what I should check out on any used cutters to make sure they are in good condition?

By the way, I don't plan to clear any of the wooded area. I will most likely just use it to mow the open area. There will be some areas that I will only cut once every year or every other year. How often I cut those areas will be based on the suggestion of a local wildlife biologist. I'm a hunter and I want my land to be as appealing to the animals as it is to me (so I can kill them :eek: :D ).

/ New 3520 ordered yesterday #6  
The MX6 is approximately 400 lbs. heavier than the LX6. The MX6 min. rated HP required is also right at the 3520's rated PTO HP, so I'm assuming that it just works the tractor awfully hard. I have a 45 PTO HP JD ag tractor and use a 6' medium duty Bush Hog cutter on it, there are times that it bogs the tractor down a fair amount.

/ New 3520 ordered yesterday #7  
If I recall correctly, I think rockyridgefarm has a MX6 on his 4310. The 4310 is the precrusor to the 3320.

/ New 3520 ordered yesterday
Well, I took delivery of the 3520 Wednesday. I decided to purchase the 1072 Frontier Rotary Cutter so I could include it with the 0% financing. It really wasn't much more than the other cutters I looked at and in some cases it was cheaper. I've been trying to resize my photographs so I can attach them to this, but I can'tremember how. I'll try to attch some now. The crate you see in one of the photographs is my TRC 3 pth log splitter.

Attachments

• 100_0812.jpg
    100_0812.jpg
    752.9 KB · Views: 373
  • 100_0809.jpg
    100_0809.jpg
    977.4 KB · Views: 320
  • 100_0808.jpg
    100_0808.jpg
    902.3 KB · Views: 304
   / New 3520 ordered yesterday #9  
Congratulations!!!
Welcome to the Deere family!!!

/ New 3520 ordered yesterday #10  
Congrats!

Looks like you got some pretty nifty options too! Did the dealer install the bucket hooks/loops you're using with the chains?