2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower #1  

RobbP

Tractor
JD 2520
Hi all, first I apologize, I read a lot more than I post... I just don't know that much.

I have a 5' Bush Hog finish mower on the back of my JD 2520, which is fine. But I have recently discovered the advantages of iMatch. My wife prefers the mower to be off when she uses the FEL for barn work. So, I was considering trading in the bush hog for a frontier piece which is iMatch compatible. I was also thinking of upgrading to 6'.

Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the 6' would be too much mower for the 2520? I keep the grass tight, never over 12" tall. I would prefer to no go with a mid mount deck, it just seems bulky to mount/unmount to me.

Thanks!

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower #2  
I would have to say that the iMatch is a perfect way to go. I would not suggest going up to a 6' cutter though. The minimum HP required for a 6' cutter is 25hp. The 2520 is advertised to have 20hp at the PTO. I would then stick with a 5' and keep doing what you are already doing. Great luck to you.

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower #3  
I'm thinking that a 72" mmm is optional for the 2520. JC

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower #4  
RobbP said:
Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the 6' would be too much mower for the 2520? I keep the grass tight, never over 12" tall. I would prefer to no go with a mid mount deck, it just seems bulky to mount/unmount to me.

Thanks!

I don't think any of the mid mounts are designed for brush hogging. I beleive only for finish mowing. This is only from what I have seen out there.
As far as size I think your already at the limit of 5 feet.

murph

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower
Thanks everyone - what I am hearing is, 5' limit for the PTO @ 20HP... ****. I will still try to trade over to a frontier for the iMatch.

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower #6  
Robb,

Have you spoken with your dealer about the "62D OnRamp" (drive-on) Mid-Mount Side Discharge Mower Deck? Check it out, it might be something that would work for you.

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower #7  
thcri said:
I don't think any of the mid mounts are designed for brush hogging. I beleive only for finish mowing. This is only from what I have seen out there.
As far as size I think your already at the limit of 5 feet.

murph
He did not mention bush hogging. He has a Bush Hog brand finish mower. And I still think JD offers the 72" 7 iron deck for the 2520. JC
I'm at work with faster internet. I checked the Deere site and the 72 mmm is offered for the 2520. But there is no rfm listed.

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower
Correct, I am not bush hogging (lower case), but have a Bush Hog finish mower. MacMiller was right on the money, confirmed by my LTS (Local Tractor Store). the JD 72" requires 25HP at the PTO. There is a drive over mmm for the 2520, and oddly, the LTS cautions against it.

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower #9  
RobbP said:
Hi all, first I apologize, I read a lot more than I post... I just don't know that much.

I have a 5' Bush Hog finish mower on the back of my JD 2520, which is fine. But I have recently discovered the advantages of iMatch. My wife prefers the mower to be off when she uses the FEL for barn work. So, I was considering trading in the bush hog for a frontier piece which is iMatch compatible. I was also thinking of upgrading to 6'.

Thanks!

If you're mowing every week or so... your 2520 will handle a 6' fine. However, ultimately you may be just as fast with the 5' mower. My 2520 absolutely eats grass with my 62D onRamp MMM. I literally could run the thing full out if I chose to in high gear and it wouldn't/doesn't lag. Ideally I think the 5' mower is a good fit but it's got plenty horses under the hood to handle the larger 6' mower (if mowing regularly and not in ultra thick stuff). IMO the RFM will be the quickest and easiest bet to attach/detach. My drive over deck is nice but you won't beat a 3 pt mower for ease of removing.

/ 2520 and 6' Rear Finish Mower #10  
Any possibility of modifying your Bush Hog RFM to make it compatible with the I-Match?

I have an old shredder that I lowered the top pin on to make it work with I-Match. After that, I bought an older production Land Pride rake that needed the same mod.

Fortunately the lower pin spacing worked out.

FWIW- My neighbor owns several King Kutter implements and NONE of them fit a quick hitch. Too bad, because I have access to all of them. They're just not worth the trouble.

Jon