New Purchase - JD 3720 vs 4120

/ New Purchase - JD 3720 vs 4120 #11  
4720 with cab. Your tractor with turbo, tons of power and the Loadmatch is so cool. Ran some open station, ran some with cab, definitely like the idea of a cab. Your rear tires look rounder than mine, what air pressure do you run? I usually run just enough to get the outer part of the lugs off the concrete a little, and that changes with whatever is hanging off the 3 pt. I have heard others say this model is a little loud, with the cab i can take a phone call and keep plugging away. Of course the calls are short when they are interfering with my seat time!!

By the way, congrats.

/ New Purchase - JD 3720 vs 4120
That photo was taken after the unit rolled off the trailer from delivery. They had the tire pressure real high for some reason. Same thing when i looked at units on the lot.

The noise is not too bad; I can field a phone call if I throw the throttle all the way down to talk. Couldn't keep cutting at all. Would have liked the cab but had to make some price cuts somewhere plus I have lots of trees and need the clearance. My place is really level so sometimes I leave the ROPS down to get more room; but then it gets in the way of the 3-pt hitch raising up.

/ New Purchase - JD 3720 vs 4120 #13  
It will not get in the way of the 3 pt if you pull the pins out and put them in the lower position before you lower the upper section. The upper section will stick out at a greater angle allowing the 3-pt to be raised all the way without contact.

/ New Purchase - JD 3720 vs 4120 #14  
wolc123 said:
It will not get in the way of the 3 pt if you pull the pins out and put them in the lower position before you lower the upper section. The upper section will stick out at a greater angle allowing the 3-pt to be raised all the way without contact.
I gave that same advice to someone looking for a new rops on a 2520, but your wording is alot better than mine was. He never posted back to say if he tried it. It took me getting my lx5 hung in the air to figure it out. JC

It does not need to much space now but if I really want to raise the cutter almost all the way up, it hits that bar. I will give it a try this weekend and post back.

/ New Purchase - JD 3720 vs 4120 #16  
jimccraig said:
Thanks for the feedback so far; it is really nice to hear comments from people who have been actively using a particular model.

Anyone know of issues with the 4120 pulling the MX6 cutter from a size standpoint? I imagine the loader balances the tractor fairly well with the cutter.

Also, anyone seeing the need for a ballast box when using the loader with the 4120?

Thanks again for the advice.
A buddy of mine has a 4120 and MX6. It works fine. I have a MX6 on my 4720 - works fine. If you are cutting really thick stuff you might have to slow down some, but I can bog my 4720 in REALLy nasty stuff also.

D.

/ New Purchase - JD 3720 vs 4120 #17  
jimccraig said:
That photo was taken after the unit rolled off the trailer from delivery. They had the tire pressure real high for some reason. Same thing when i looked at units on the lot.

The noise is not too bad; I can field a phone call if I throw the throttle all the way down to talk. Couldn't keep cutting at all. Would have liked the cab but had to make some price cuts somewhere plus I have lots of trees and need the clearance. My place is really level so sometimes I leave the ROPS down to get more room; but then it gets in the way of the 3-pt hitch raising up.

I wear headphones when I run my 4720 - it will cause hearing damage for sure.

Not having a cab can be a plus. I have the 5525 cab for the bigger stuff and the 4720 open station just works better for close in with e-hydro and less stuff to tear up. The cover on my 4720 is pretty ugly no days - I might just take it off, but it give the tractor character.

D.

/ New Purchase - JD 3720 vs 4120 #18  
Rolltide, you were "spot on" with your idea to rest the ROPS on top of the pins as opposed to putting the pins thru the holes. I tried it this weekend and gave me just enough room where my snow blower would not interfere w/ the ROPS.

Mike

Thanks for the advice on the ROPS pins. Stays out of the way of the 3pt now.