Price Check JD 790 price?

/ JD 790 price? #1  

splunk

Tractor
JD 790
I am looking at a 2005 JD 790 with a 300 fel it is 4wd. It also comes with a box blade and posthole digger. It only has 56 hours on it and they are asking 12,800 does this sound like a good price?

Thanks Chad

/ JD 790 price? #2  
splunk said:
I am looking at a 2005 JD 790 with a 300 fel it is 4wd. It also comes with a box blade and posthole digger. It only has 56 hours on it and they are asking 12,800 does this sound like a good price?

Thanks Chad
Check with Used Tractors at TractorHouse.com: John Deere Tractors, used farm tractors and farm equipment, Case IH, New Holland, Agco, Caterpillar. search under 40hp for the listings; it will give you some asking prices for the JD790's for sale. I purchased a 790 new in April 2000 with the 91.5 cu. in.(30 hp.) and paid $10,400 for the tractor-$2250 for the model 70 loader- $400 for the mid-pto with R-1 tires in Calif; then 7.75% tax added to the bottom line. It is a good tractor with a couple of shortcomings with limited FEL lift/height, and limited three point lift also (800#). If it has R-4 tires, they add $400+ over the R-1's. It sounds like a fair/good deal if it appears in good/excellent condition?

/ JD 790 price?
Thanks for the link. It appears to be like new condition. I think I will offer 12,000 and see what they think.

/ JD 790 price? #4  
That package new would be in the mid to high $14's. Since it has only 56 hours, it is virtually new. Has the 50 hour service been done? If not, then you need to do a complete service after you buy it. I think splunk has the right price at about $12,000. Assume you will spend $250 to do the 50 hour service if nothing is wrong. Is this a dealer or a private person selling it?

/ JD 790 price?
It is a private individual. By the way it has the r-4 tires. I am finding out about the 50 hour service. Keep the ideas or questions coming this is great way for me to learn what to ask. This would be my first tractor.

/ JD 790 price? #6  
I just got a price yesterday on a 790 4wd, brand new, 300 loader with the heavy duty bucket, tooth bar and R1 tires for $14,900. The regular bucket without the the tooth bar had a price of $14,650. If I could have had a 790 with just 56hrs for $12,800 I would've driven the man to the bank so I made sure nobody else got the tractor while I got the money.

That's just me. I've been shopping/looking for about 2years here in Southeast VA and haven't seen a deal that good. Gordon is the 790 king.

/ JD 790 price?
Thanks for the reply swampguy. They just got back with me and said they had to have 12,800 because that is what they owe. I am not sure what I want to do I guess I will sleep on it and see what i think tommorrow.

/ JD 790 price? #8  
If they still owe $12,800 on it, they will not settle for less. That is just human nature. Waiting them out with time will not work. Even if they make another couple monthly payments, the balance will still be $12,500 or more.

But, buying from a private seller will save you sales tax. At 7%, that is a $900 savings over buying from a dealer. That makes the $12,800 out the door price about even with buying it for discounted at $12,000 and then paying sales tax. $12,800 out the door sounds good.

Since it is being financed, make sure that the check you write is payable to the buyer AND the company financing it. Otherwise, their lender still has a legal claim on the tractor. I would be shocked if the lender did not have a security interest in the tractor and loader with serial numbers recorded. If the seller gives you a simple bill of sale and runs with your money, you MIGHT, depending upon the state, still be in jeopardy of the lender reposessing the machine once payments stop being made to the lender.

Do not allow yourself to get into a position where you pay the seller $12,800 and then have to make all the rest of the payments too. Your 790 would become a $25,000 tractor!!!!!!! No honest seller is going to mind having the check written to them AND the lender. This way, you have the peace of mind that the sale is legal and final. They have already told you they owe on it, so they can't suddenly say there is no lender to pay off. The last thing you need is for them to go spend the $12,800 and not pay off their loan.

Since they are selling the tractor, I will guess they may also have a bunch of accessories that they will no longer need. Ask what other stuff gets thrown in. They may have grease guns, a case of diesel oil, extra filters, etc. all those items could sweeten the pot by a couple hundred dollars.

/ JD 790 price?
Well I have agreed to their asking price. I plan on taking possesion next thursday. I just wanted to thank everyone for their help. Also since this is my first tractor any help is welcomed.

Thanks Chad

/ JD 790 price? #10  
Congrats on the tractor! I'm sure you'll love it. They either got in over their head, or wanted more or less tractor. The thing I like about the gear models is they are old school technology. The kinks have been worked out of them, so that should mean fewer headaches for you. Post pics!!