Deere 670 info

/ Deere 670 info #11  
Ray:

The 670 was made from 1989 to about 1998. While Deere's demand a high price, they are reliable as rocks. The 670 was a little brother of the 770 which was replaced in 1999 by the 790. The 670's a few inches shorter than the 770 and about 200 lbs lighter. I've had a 98 770 for almost four years and like yuo it was a first tractor for me, basically a California city boy. The maintenance is simple for anyone with basic mechanical skills. The only parts I've replaced have beenoil, oil and fuel filters and I changed the hydraulic fluid and filter, and a battery. It had 223 hours when I bought it and it now has 471.

Hours on tractors like this are at rated rpm. In my case it 2,600. One hour at 1,300 rpm would register as 1/2 hour. The 670 has a smaller, higher reving engine which has rated hp at 3,000 rpm.

My 770 doesn't burn a drop of oil and starts first time, every time. The engine if properly maintained will probably go 3,000 hrs or more. I will get a professional service at 500 hrs because I want the valves adjusted. The Yanmar engine is very well built and has been used in marine applications for years. Deere could use anyone's tractor to sell as a Deere and they choose the Yanmar because they are bullet proof.

Good luck with your purchase.

/ Deere 670 info
Thanks Joe1. I never knew an hour meter ran on engine RPM I assumed it was like a clock every minute the tractor runs is a minute on the hour meter. This site is great! Alot of great people here with a world of knowlage helping out and sharing thoughts and info. What about fuel economy of a gas vs desil motor? I go through about 1 1/2 gallons of gas to mow our yard, the Murray has a 5 speed trans I usually run most of the time in 3rd or 4th gear at about 2/3 throttle. My wife when she runs it usually runs in 1st-2nd gear full throttle, she uses over 2 gallons each time she mows. Another question, what are loaded tires? I know they add weight, what do they use to do that and does it make the tires flat proof too? I just got a call from the guy with the 670, I got his address and am going to meet him tomorrow around 2 in the afternoon, I did get some info on the tractor. It is 4X4, has about 340 hours, has a mid belly mower, and a deere yard trailer that goes with it. I guess he is a car collector and bought this tractor just for a toy, but hardly never uses it, he has pros come in and do all his yard care, it has been stored inside a climate controlled garge all it's life, he brings it to a deere dealer once a year for complete service no matter how much he uses it, just had it serviced last Sept., he has all recipts for all service work done, and all the orginal tags, owners manual, and paper work that came with it when it was new, he said it is in show room condition. Sooo if it's as nice as he says and we can aggree on a price I will most likely buy it.

Last edited:
   / Deere 670 info #13  
I can't speak to the economy with facts, but a good chance you'll use much less fuel with a diesel. Kind of like a gas pickup versus a diesel. Loaded tires are fluid filled for weight. Usually only filled about 3/4 full. Up your way, will be either CaCl (Calcium Chloride) dissolved in water or Rim Guard which is beet juice. Neither will freeze and both are denser than just plain water. Calcium has the nasty habit of rusting steel but it's been used for generations without major problems.

Sounds like a very nice tractor. The belly mower is a real plus but the lack of loader is unfortunate. If you've never had a loader, you'll probably not notice but once you've had one you'll wonder how you ever survived without. With the belly mower, it'll have the mid-PTO. Check for DSCV (dual selective control valve). It's what operates the loader and will be a longish lever to the right of the seat. Future loader install would be much easier and cheaper if it has the valve already. Not a showstopper though, it can be added later.

4X4 is a plus. With a belly mower it'll probably have turf tires. Another consideration depending on your needs.

Check for battery tray corrosion. The x90 series had a problem with battery leakage and corrosion. Again, not a show stopper, just something else to look at. With that few hours, I'd expect it to be in pretty fine shape.

/ Deere 670 info #14  
Roy
Does the 670 or 970 have live rear pto? How do they operate? Your knowledge on would be helpful to me.

Klink

/ Deere 670 info
Just got back from looking at the 670. Unbelieveable!! :eek: I got to the guys house at 2 we introduced ourselves, his name is Norman, he took me into the garage to look at the 670. It was beautiful. looked like it was nerver used. He fired it up, purred like a kitten, :) he asked if I wanted to take it for a spin I said heck ya. :D I went out the garage and headed down the driveway, I know I had to have this tractor it felt like a real machine nothing like the cheep Muray I now have with 4" play in the steering and all. :cool: When I got to the end of the drive I did a 3 point turn and started heading back toward the garage thinking I would do a couple 360's to see how tight the turning radius was on it and all and wondering if I could take it home with the cash I had in my pocket ($4500), when all of a sudden some guy came up behind me in a BMW, pulled up along side of me and started yelling at me, :confused: I stoped and asked him what was worng, he wanted to know what I was doing, I told him I was buying a tractor, he said what do you mean? I said I mean am am buying a tracktor, he said that tractor? I said ya! He said like f*** you are and matted his gas pedal to the floor and went up to the garage, I put the tractor back in gear and started heading for the garage thinking this is not good. When I got back up to the front of the garage I shut the 670 down and could hear the guy yelling and screaming at Norman, I didn't know what to do :eek: so I just stood outside looking the 670 over when the guy came out of the garge he looked at me and said go f*** yourself :mad: got in his BMW and sped off. Norman came out and told me to come in. Seems the angery guy was his son and mad that his father was selling the tracktor to a stranger and wanted the tracktor himself. So Norman told me sorry, and offered me $20 for my trouble. Needless to say on my way home I was pretty bummed. So the search goes on. :(

/ Deere 670 info #16  
Aarghh...

Sorry to hear of your difficulties. What a difference an hour would have made, eh? You'll find something else, don't worry.

/ Deere 670 info #17  
Man yhat SUCKS:eek:

Sorry you missed out on such a great tractor...

Gotta ask though, did you take the $20.00?

/ Deere 670 info #18  
If I was Norman, I woulda sold to you just to spite the a_ _hole son

/ Deere 670 info #19  
klink said:
Roy
Does the 670 or 970 have live rear pto? How do they operate? Your knowledge on would be helpful to me.

Klink

That depends on if the tractor has a single stage or dual stage clutch. If a single stage (mostly on 2WD units), no...no live PTO. Most MFWD machines have a live PTO. The drill is to push the clutch ½ down to shift gears (the PTO continues spinning). Pushing the clutch all the way stops the PTO.

Both my 670 and 790 have the dual stage clutch.

I hate to admit this, but I never realized my 670 had a dual stage clutch! I always pressed the clutch all the way down. I never had a problem when mowing or brush cutting. The inertia of the blades kept them spinning when I shifted gears.

/ Deere 670 info
RobS: Well I showed up at the agreed time. When I saw the tracktor I knew I wanted it. Maybe I should have just layed the cash on the hood got him to write the bill of sale instead of messing around driving it.
KennyD: No I didn't take the $20 I just put my tail between my legs and left. Thing is I have a Dodge ram 4X4 dually with a gas 360 in it, the trip cost me 7 hours driving and $150 down and back with gas and tolls draging the trailer.
rdln: I'll tell you if that was my boy and he treated me like that I would have slapped him up side the head. He is an a**hole, I wanted to kick him in the nuts when he walked out and told me to go f*** myself. I moved out of the heavy populated area down there to the country to get away from people like that. I'll just keep watching, something will turn up. Meanwhile the old Murray is running and doing it's job. I just hope I don't break it and it gets me through the winter, they are predicting another snow storm Wednesday. I don't know if any of you are interested but I put a couple pictures of it up in the Iseki forum in the thread Upgrading to Bolens G174. I was thinking of picking one of those up, they are priced right but parts seem to be an issue with them. I want to thank you all for your information, who knows I might end up with a deere yet.