Deere 670 info

/ Deere 670 info #1  

rayl

I have been looking around for a used small older 4X4 tractor, around 17hp. I just got a call from a friend who gave me a lead on a Deere 670. I have been looking around the net for info on this tractor and am confused on exactly what it is. Some say it is 16hp others 18hp and some even 20hp. I went back here on this forum 25+ pages and can not find any info. I assume this tractor is not very popular? Can anyone give me info like what size/make motor does this tractor have, weight, are they very reliable, are parts easy to find, are rear 3 point hitch standard, and what is the going price for one....without impliments, though I would like one with at least a belly mower to start with.

/ Deere 670 info #2  
The tractor was made by Yanmar in Japan. It is the same frame size as the 790 of today, but I believe it has smaller tires and wheels. It is a 3 cylinder diesel and should be as reliable as any tractor ever made. In addition, parts and service should never be a problem. I believe that the PTO horsepower is 16. Hope this helps.

/ Deere 670 info #3  
Get a hold of RoyJackson, he used to have a 670 before getting his 790. Therebarely pretty well covered it though. Much the same as the 790 which is a great little tractor.

/ Deere 670 info
OK thanks all. I'll go check it out this week end.

/ Deere 670 info #6  
Hi!
As RobS mentioned, I had a 670 for a couple years. It's a sweet little machine....very similar to the 790 with smaller tires and less horsepower. The engine (yes, a Yanmar...whole tractor was built by Yanmar) has 19 gross engine HP and 16.5 @ the PTO.

What are your planned tasks for this machine? It's pretty light weight, so ground engagement might be a hassle. You mentioned a belly mower. That might be hard to find. I'd wager the 670 your looking at doesn't have a mid-PTO either. When I bought mine, I got a 60" Befco Rear Finishing Mower as part of the deal. My 670 did a fine job with that. It even did quite well with a 60" rotary cutter (as long as I went pretty slow!). The loader (a #60) has a capacity of about 700 lbs at full lift. Make sure you use rear ballast if you use that loader!

As far as parts...I never had any problems, but that was 2 years ago. There's a fair amount of comonality with the 790 (a current machine) so I don't think parts (IF you need any!) should be a problem!

You don't mention if the machine you're looking at has MFWD or a loader. If 2WD, I'd guess $3000-$4000 would be right (assuming it's in really good condition and fairly low (less then 800) hours). With MFWD, add maybe a thousand. If MFWD and a loader, $6000-$7000 should be right. If this is a private seller, you should be able to haggle at least $500 off what I've suggested.

Please feel free to PM if you have more questions...I'll be happy to help!

/ Deere 670 info #7  
Ok, the link worked right after i posted it but must have something to do with cookies or cache or some silly ie thing anyways here are pics of jd dealer 670s

as Roy mentioned mid pto may not be there, look underneath and for two yellow levers next to each other under the front of the seat.

Attachments

• ohio.jpg
    ohio.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 346
  • maine.jpg
    maine.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 377
  • westva.jpg
    westva.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 301
   / Deere 670 info
Hi Roy thanks for info. This would be my first tractor. I only have about 1 acre to mow and a paved lot about 1/3 acre to snow plow, another acre is woods/brush. The terrain in my yard is very rough like baja with a steep incline going across the front of the property up to the house. I am now running an 18hp Murray with 46" deck, it has a weak transaxle, will not push snow that gets much more than 4" and the rear wheels spin alot trying to mow up the front incline even with chains on the tires. We just bought this fixer upper house a year ago and needed something to get us going and the Murray was there only $500 with plow and snowblower. My immideate uses for a tractor now is mowing and snow removal, eventually I would like to have a brush cutter to cut the brush back and lifting forks would come in real handy for taking loaded pallets (up to around 500 - 600 lbs) off the back of the pick up, and a chipper would be very handy. Originally I was looking at something like the Bolens G174 built by Iseki, it seemes like the perfect size tractor for my needs and the price they are getting for them is very much in my range and reach, but it seems getting parts for them is difficult and when you do find a part they are very expensive, like $150 for a head gasket or $100 for a radiator hose. I need a tractor for work ,not for show or collecting. I would like to get into a 4X4 desil. I had not considered a deere as the price on them seems way way out till I got a call from a freind who has a friend with the 670, all I know about it is it is 4X4 and it has a mower not sure what type. The guy is out of town and supposed to be around this Saturday, so I hope to hook up with him and take a look. RDLN: I will check that out, it would need that for a belly mower right? Are 3 point hitchs standard on these tractors?

/ Deere 670 info #9  
"Are 3 point hitchs standard on these tractors?"

Yes, the tractor will have a 3PH (unless someone removed the arms). I used an RFM (as I'd written in my first post). Mid-PTO's were available, as were belly mowers. I think you'd have a tough time finding the adapter kit now though.

Since you mentioned your property is kind of steep, I will advise you to get the rear tires filled (if they aren't already). The tractor isn't particularly unstable but you will want to be very careful going across any slopes. You'll be better off going up and down a slope. If the grass is wet, don't even try going up or down...wet grass is slick!

I plowed with a rear blade (60") which does a fine job. You can either drive forward or reverse but you will want to use the convex side of the blade.

Before you buy those forks, invest in a ballast box, or fabricate one. If you're planning on lifting a pallet of 500-600 lbs, you want at least that much weight (as ballast) on the rear. You'll also want to add pressure to the front tires (trust me, if you don't add pressure, the tires may roll off the rims).

Keep us posted on the 670!

BTW, RDLN posted pictures from Machine Finder.com. One of those was a 670 being sold by a Maine dealer. That ad has been on Machine Finder for at least two years. He was asking too much money (IMHO) for a used 670. FYI, the MFWD 670 went for about 12 thousand new.

/ Deere 670 info
I was just over on ebay and saw that one sold for $3800, nothing with it. It figures that one close to me at that dealer in ME would be listed for so much but these small desil 4X4 tractors are scarce as hens teeth up here so any that do come up for sale are going for mega bucks, even private sales going through the local want add, not to many of them and big bucks for ones for sale. I also went to a couple other local dealers around here and same story big money for used, I think maybe it is becuse as long as they have it sitting out front it brings people in then they tell you for just a couple thousand more you can buy a new one. If they sell the used one out front they know they may not get another for awhile and loose that lure to bring people in. I don't know this for sure but that is what I think the game is with dealers and used equipment up here. I know I will have to travel to get a good deal on one. I would not want to think of what the cost to ship one would be.