Best way to sell a tractor

/ Best way to sell a tractor #1  

jcmseven

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 2320; 4520
Fellow Posters,

As many of you know I have a 3720 tractor. I have had a 4310,3720, 4520 and another 3720 (the present one) in the past three years. I really like (love, actually) my 3720 tractor. I settled on another one because of all the machines I have had and used it seems to be the best for most of my needs. That said, I have a little problem: I have had a strong urge for a new XUV Gator when they are released later this month or early next. I had a Gator previously and while I would not trade a tractor for one, it was a very handy machine indeed. I do not really want to sell my 3720, but due to my penchant to buy too much equipment, my wife has me on a strict tractor/JD budget. She also notes that we do not have ROOM for a mid frame or larger machine and a Gator, which is a correct statement. So, it looks as if I really want a Gator I will have to sell my 3720. I will say, I could easily get by with a 2320 or a 2520 on my property, as most of my work is not heavy work and much of it requires wiggling into and out of tight spots. My 3720 does well, but there are places it will not fit either. In the experience of the posters, which would be my best means to advertise the machine if I emotionally can part with it: here, on the TBN site, at my dealer (and pay him commission) or on a national site such as EBAY? I have bought and sold some things on EBAY, just nothing this large. I also, of course, might back out as I really enjoy this machine. Would I enjoy a smaller machine less? I dunno. Thanks for the advice.

John M

/ Best way to sell a tractor #2  
I have got the fever to trade my HPX for the new gator when it comes out myself. I bought the gator and a 2520 last year and had to take on a few mowing jobs to keep the budget close. I don't know how much room you would need, but you will only gain maybe a couple of feet. I had to get a longer trailer so both of my machines would fit at the same time. I sold my previous JD 650 in 3 days on the American classifieds website, before it came out in print. JC

/ Best way to sell a tractor #3  
jcmseven said:
In the experience of the posters, which would be my best means to advertise the machine
Dont overlook a free listing in Craigslist. You might be able to get a price near what the dealer would sell it for.

asheville craigslist > for sale / wanted: search for "tractor"

I think craigslist is better than Ebay when you hope to sell locally.

As for all the other issues - good luck sorting them out!

/ Best way to sell a tractor #4  
John,

Before I would pay my dealer a commission I would try the free publications first like Iwanna. The NC Department of Agricultural has a free monthly publication called Agricultural Review. It has lots of tractors and equipment for sale as well as livestock and farm supplies. They mailed 50,000 copies last month. Classified advertising is free and you can find them on the net. PM me if you want the email address for classified section.

Maybe give the local newspaper a try also.

The way you buy, sale and trade you my also want to consider purchasing some John Deere Stock;) :D

/ Best way to sell a tractor #5  
jcmseven said:
Fellow Posters,

As many of you know I have a 3720 tractor. I have had a 4310,3720, 4520 and another 3720 (the present one) in the past three years. I really like (love, actually) my 3720 tractor. I settled on another one because of all the machines I have had and used it seems to be the best for most of my needs. That said, I have a little problem: I have had a strong urge for a new XUV Gator when they are released later this month or early next. I had a Gator previously and while I would not trade a tractor for one, it was a very handy machine indeed. I do not really want to sell my 3720, but due to my penchant to buy too much equipment, my wife has me on a strict tractor/JD budget. She also notes that we do not have ROOM for a mid frame or larger machine and a Gator, which is a correct statement. So, it looks as if I really want a Gator I will have to sell my 3720. I will say, I could easily get by with a 2320 or a 2520 on my property, as most of my work is not heavy work and much of it requires wiggling into and out of tight spots. My 3720 does well, but there are places it will not fit either. In the experience of the posters, which would be my best means to advertise the machine if I emotionally can part with it: here, on the TBN site, at my dealer (and pay him commission) or on a national site such as EBAY? I have bought and sold some things on EBAY, just nothing this large. I also, of course, might back out as I really enjoy this machine. Would I enjoy a smaller machine less? I dunno. Thanks for the advice.

John M
We have had an XUV for a couple of weeks on our show room floor. Do not even have a price yet. It is a awsome machine.

/ Best way to sell a tractor #6  
Best way to sell a tractor???

In your case, I'd sell it really cheap to a long time trusted friend/neighbor with the "under the table" clause that you can borrow it any time you need it.

This way you win, win and your friend does too.

/ Best way to sell a tractor #7  
John,John,John..........you just can't seem to stop this addiction. Keep the 3720 and put the money that you would have lost on the sale into some good therapy.

/ Best way to sell a tractor #8  
I think your out of your tree. The 3720 is the cat's *ss , save your money and buy the gator later. This will give JD a chance to work out any bugs with the new gator. IMHO the 2x20 have a lot fewer options and lack on power. Not that their bad but your going from a caddy to a Yugo. Or you can go buy what you want and deal with your wife when you get home. It's easy to beg for forgivness. Just my two cents, good luck with your quandry.

Matt T.:D

/ Best way to sell a tractor
Matt and Dirt and others,

I appreciate your counsel. I am enrolled in therapy now and it is going well. My therapist says that I have a very low likelihood of recovery, though....well, with the medication.....

John M

/ Best way to sell a tractor #10  
John, I'm a fine one to give you advice. I have an incurable desire to buy Caterpiller machines. The JD's I own are just a diversion of my already incurable disease. I just thought I'd try and steer you in the right direction,but I knew it was no use. You are doomed to being never satisfied with the machine you currently own. Albeit whatever model it is. The medication is only a temporary solution and you will probably do better without it.

Sincerely,
Dirt