John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #1  

epic6500sr

Tractor
Grasshopper 725 G2,321D and a John Deere L100
I am looking at purchasing a new JD 3120 or a new Kubota Grand L3130. I am mainly purchasing this machine in order to brush hog 5 acres across from my home. The subdivision owns a 5ft. brush hog, but the only man who has a tractor, won't let us use it. As I already said, I want this machine for brush hogging, however I also want to blade with it. I currently have a grasshopper front mount 725, so i don't need a finish mower. I would greatly appriciate any opinions and reasons why.

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #2  
Honestly, I'd look at a Kubota L3400. It wil be priced less and provide more HP for mowing. The L3130 would be the choice if you really needed loader capacity - but I think the size and specs of the L3400 will suit you well.

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #3  
One thing for sure, you have the best Kubota dealer in the U.S. just down I-70 (Warrenton), go visit them. You will not find a better dealership anywhere!

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #4  
I vote for a JD 3320. It is only a few hundred more than the 3120 and will handle a 5 foot rotary mower with no problems. I looked at the Kubota but I think the JD wins hands down on features and comfort. There is no way I could handle the Kubota one piece foot tredle. The 3120-3320 have the single hydro toe pedals. I have a 3320 it handles a MX6 mower (brush hog) that is a pretty heavy duty mower that weighs over 1000 lbs. If you ever want to add a loader, the tractor is already completely set up for it.

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #5  
epic6500sr said:
I am looking at purchasing a new JD 3120 or a new Kubota Grand L3130. I am mainly purchasing this machine in order to brush hog 5 acres across from my home. The subdivision owns a 5ft. brush hog, but the only man who has a tractor, won't let us use it. As I already said, I want this machine for brush hogging, however I also want to blade with it. I currently have a grasshopper front mount 725, so i don't need a finish mower. I would greatly appriciate any opinions and reasons why.

If you've only a 5' hog to use, you need a tractor with 20-24 PTO horsepower. That's more then adequate for a 5' cutter.
If you want to get the job done quicker, buy a 24-30 PTO Horsepower machine (any of the ones being suggested...I'm a Deere guy myself) and a 6-7 foot cutter.

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #6  
I really do not think the 3120 is the way to go. It is a really nice tractor, and if your ground is fairly flat, it would do OK. As has been noted earlier, a 3320 is marginally more expensive and a fair amount more powerful. I think it would be a better choice on the JD. I do not know enough about the Kubota to comment, except that a few folks on my road have them (not necessarily that model, though) and like them. If you go green, please strongly consider the 3320. It has more power and I think generally a bit better resale if you were to upgrade later on.

John M

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #7  
The 3320 is an awsome machine. I have been plowing snow all week with mine and have come to fall in love wth the Ehydro that JD offers. I have a 6 foot Frontier RC1072 (LX6) cutter to use on my 3320. Can't wait till spring.:)

3320leftside.jpg

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130
Thank you for your suggestions. I think the John Deere 3320 may be what I need, but I still have a few more questions. For one, does the John Deere having a wet clutch have a big difference in quality over the Kubota's dry clutch? Also, the transmissions, theres JD's Power reverser, and the eHydro, compared to Kubota's GST, Hydro, and Gear? Which of those has the least problems? Also, which one will push a snow blade better? Thanks

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #9  
I do not think there would be a major difference in the clutch performance between the two machines. The JD ehydro to me is a great transmission. I do not know how the Kubota compares, but to me and with where I live, ehydro beats the PowerReverser tranny for ease of use hands down. I know several on our site have the PRT and are happy though so I think it comes down to how much one wants to spend and where he/she lives. Flatter terrain and more open spaces favor the gear drives a little more. My parents have two places, one in the northern NC mountains and one in the Piedmont area. I could easily use a PRT tranny at their Piedmont location because it is open and flat, but at their mountain place or my permanent place, no way. As far as pushing snow, I really like my JD. I have the Frontier boom blade for mine, and although we have had limited snowfall this year, it is really nice. I do not think Kubota has one of these, so one might have to go with an aftermarket setup such as Curtis, I believe (please check this). I believe properly ballasted and with appropriate tires, each machine would do fine. I have had limited personal experience with Kubota machines, but they have a good reputation. The biggest issue is the dealer with whom you work and whether the tractor offers the features you want and the price you need. Either machine would do a nice job for you. I prefer the Deere and have supported them due to my strong dealer and the nice features. They fit great and work great. The attachments are easy to switch and work flawlessly for me. The tractors have good to great power and are literally easier to operate than a car. I also appreciate the engineering and fit and finish of the Deere product. The Kubota shares this trait as well, though. To me, I have never been disappointed with any Deere tractor or UTV I have owned. To date, I have had 10 JD tractors/ mowers and they all have been great. Each has probably been slightly more than the competition in price, but has provided such good service I have felt my money was well spent. I do ask, though, that you consider a 3320 over a 3120 in the JD line. I do think you would be a bit happier.

John M

/ John Deere 3120 against a Kubota Grand L3130 #10  
jcmseven said:
I really do not think the 3120 is the way to go. It is a really nice tractor, and if your ground is fairly flat, it would do OK. As has been noted earlier, a 3320 is marginally more expensive and a fair amount more powerful. I think it would be a better choice on the JD. I do not know enough about the Kubota to comment, except that a few folks on my road have them (not necessarily that model, though) and like them. If you go green, please strongly consider the 3320. It has more power and I think generally a bit better resale if you were to upgrade later on.

John M
As you may or maynot know I own a 3120 and I have a friend that has the 3320 and to be truthful my tractor can do the same as the 3320. infact as recall I have ran his MX 6 cutter with no problems.My 3120 is 29.5 HP and his 3320 is 32.5 HP and as for PTO HP the 3120 is 22.5HP and the 3320 is 25.5HP not big jump in horse power. I rest my case any way both tractors are the same

matthew3120