John Deere 4100

/ John Deere 4100 #1  

epic6500sr

Tractor
Grasshopper 725 G2,321D and a John Deere L100
As some of you know I was looking at the John Deere 3320 and the Kubota L3130. I drove them, both of them were great machines however, I just don't know if I would use it enough to justify buying a brand new 16k+ tractor. So, I was gandering on machine finder and I found what looked to be like a good deal on a John Deere 4100 that had 500 hours, and it was a year 2000. It also had the self parking FEL and a 4ft hog, all for 11k, or at least thats the asking price. Is that a good deal, is it too good to be true, or is it high? Additionally, did the 4100's have a track record of problems, or were they good reliable JD's? Thanks

/ John Deere 4100 #2  
The John Deere 3320 and the Kubota L3130 are both low to mid 30's HP machines with 25 plus PTO Horsepower. They are both mid-sized CUTS. Both of these machines weigh in the neighborhood of 3000 lbs.

The 4100 is a considerably smaller tractor weighing less (under a ton) and less horsepower (around 20 Engine and 17 or 18 PTO Horsepower, if I recall correctly.
Although the 4100 is a nice little tractor for a few acre estate, is it going to be enough tractor for your uses (or, were you going way too big when considering the 3320 and 3130?).

As far as the price of the 4100 , loader and cutter...the price is OK, but not a bargain.

Good luck with your tractor buying!

/ John Deere 4100 #4  
I have a 4110, the newer version of the 4100. It is indeed a fine machine with no bad history of problems.

Does the tractor your looking at have a Hydro tranny?
What do you need this machine to do for you?

/ John Deere 4100
I need the machine mainly to brush hog, now the particular machine i mentioned in my first post included a 4' hog, so it could be a smaller tractor. But, I did locate a few 4310's, two of which were 2004's, one of those was $15850, it had 300 hours with R-4's and a 6' belly mower. The other was $16000 for a 6' belly mower and a 138 hours both had R-4's. Both were eHydros and had extra SCV valves. Do either of these sound like a good deal, and these I would need to pull a 5' hog, since they don't come with one, the 4100 comes with the 4' hog. I really only need it to hog and blade snow in the winter. Please help me, I am kind of confused with what to buy... Thanks

/ John Deere 4100 #6  
The 4310's are great tractors, and will run a 5' cutter through just about anything, and a 6' cutter through smaller stuff. Also the 4310 is closer to the size machine you were original looking at while the 4100 is small chassis CUT.
How much area do you have to cut? Your profile says 20 acres?
Did either 4310 include a FEL?
I can't really help on the prices...but hopefully others will chime in.

/ John Deere 4100 #7  
epic6500sr said:
I need the machine mainly to brush hog, now the particular machine i mentioned in my first post included a 4' hog, so it could be a smaller tractor. But, I did locate a few 4310's, two of which were 2004's, one of those was $15850, it had 300 hours with R-4's and a 6' belly mower. The other was $16000 for a 6' belly mower and a 138 hours both had R-4's. Both were eHydros and had extra SCV valves. Do either of these sound like a good deal, and these I would need to pull a 5' hog, since they don't come with one, the 4100 comes with the 4' hog. I really only need it to hog and blade snow in the winter. Please help me, I am kind of confused with what to buy... Thanks

The deciding factor is how much acreage do you have to cut and how much snow would you have to push (how long is your driveway)?

If you've an acre or two of field mowing, the 4' cutter should do fine. If the brush is pretty thick, you'll have to go slow. I used a 5' cutter behind a similar Deere (power wise) with no problem Since most of the brush (about an acre or two) was as tall as the cowl or taller, I did go pretty slow. Since I had no idea what was under the brush, going slow was the prudent thing to do. FYI, the tractor was a Deere 670 with 16.5 PTO Horsepower.
I also used that tractor for plowing snow from a 150 drive using the loader and a back blade. Again, the 670 did a fine job.
If your circumstances are similar, the 4100 should do the job.

I bought a 790 (24 PTO Horsepower) since I now brush cut 4-5 acres. I also wanted a chipper (670's power just wasn't quite adequate for a chipper), however I haven't bought the chipper yet.

I also checked out your profile...
If you have to brush cut most of your acreage, that 4' cutter isn't going to hack it. Even a 5' unit is rather small for 20 acres or even 10.

The prices you quoted for the 4310's aren't bad, but the belly mower isn't a field cutter. That's for finished lawns.

Since you're in Missouri, I don't think you get too much snow. I'd guess brush cutting will be the tractor's primary chore. You might consider a 870 or 970 2WD machine. The 870 could handle a 5' cutter easily and even a 6' cutter if you go slow. Since both tractors are manual shift transmissions, you should get a bit better price then those hydro tractors. 2WD would also keep the price pretty low (relatively speaking) and chains would suffice for any snow pushing. Also, you'd want either Ag or Industrial tires
If you want a loader, you'll really want MFWD.

As far as the prices you quoted...well, seems like they're pretty close to the prices you quoted for the 3320 and 3130. As I'd written, the belly mower on one of those 4310's adds to the price, but probably won't do the work you're wanting to do...

/ John Deere 4100 #8  
I bought a JD 790 last fall. I have never owned a tractor with a Hydro transmission so I don't miss it. The standard tranny is pretty easy to use once you get used to it especially with the foot throttle. One of these units would be considerably cheaper and get you into a brand new unit.

/ John Deere 4100 #9  
The 4100 is 16 PTO hp with the hydrostatic. Have a friend who is looking at one right now, it has 81 hrs, hydro., no FEL, and the asking price was $9,000. They have a lift capacity with the 3ph of 930 lbs. I was impressed with the pump capacity of such a small tractor, 7.4 gpm, and has a pump for the implement and steering. Total weight of the tractor is about 1,500 lbs, when you jump up to the 4200 you get a big jump also with the weight at 2,600 lbs. My neighbor has a 4100 that he uses to clean out his chicken pens.

/ John Deere 4100 #10  
I bought my 4010, which is 1.5 hp less than the 4110, in fall 2004 and paid $13,300 for it with FEL and 4' brush hog. I was told that a 4110 would be $2,000 more. So, they ran about $15,300 with FEL and 4' hog in late 2004.

The main difference between the 4010 and 4110 was a separate pump for the power steering and thus allowed the other hydraulics to be a bit faster on the 4110.

I agree with the others that a 4' hog is a bit small if you're going to brush hog much of that 20 acres. You need at least about a 6' one, and the next size larger frame tractors would run a 6' hog and be able to take its weight. I've know people locally and have read reports here of people with 4110-size frame tractors of 16-18 hp running 5' hogs but only reasonable conditions and not on hilly terrain where the extra weight back there could provide problems on a 1400 # tractor.

My 4010 will cut weeds at high as the hood at full speed in Low range, not something I'd recommend with a brush hog. In any really tall stuff, you want to go slow for safety. Never know what you might hit or what hole you might drop into.

Ralph