Price Check All JD owners, is this a good price?

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #1  

Temp97

Bronze Member
I have the opportunity to buy a JD 790 with a loader and a JD Bush Hog (bought with the tractor,72", I believe) with gear driven Tranny with only 25 Hours on it. Guy in my town bought it 2 years ago and is now retiring and heading to Arizona in the near future. I thought he was kind of crazy to buy this set-up to mow a 1 acre pasture. This is a 1st come, 1st serve that's why I don't have time to get to a dealer to price around. The cost for the entire package is a flat $15,000. I have to believe that this has to be a good deal.

Thanks- Sarge

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #2  
I'm not so sure. List price on a 790 is about $11,900, the loader is about $3100. You can get a 72" brush cutter for $600-1200, the LX6 being on the high side of that range. This is all before dealer discount. I suspect he's asking what he paid for it.

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #3  
sarge, 15k for a 2 year old 790 with fel and bush hog is not a good deal. You could buy a new setup for about the same amount. Mike

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #4  
The seller must have hear that JD has great resale value ...

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #5  
If you do a quick check on tractor selling sites like Tractor House.com or ebay you will get an idea of what the 790's are selling for. There is one on ebay with 58 hours and loader and the current price is $11,700 and the auction is about over.

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #6  
HappyCPE said:
I'm not so sure. List price on a 790 is about $11,900, the loader is about $3100. You can get a 72" brush cutter for $600-1200, the LX6 being on the high side of that range. This is all before dealer discount. I suspect he's asking what he paid for it.

The list price for the loader doesn't include the required plumbing for it; which is another $500, and if he used the tractor with a mid-mount mower, that option also adds $400 for the mid-PTO. He is probably saving maybe a couple thousand$$$, including no sales tax??

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #7  
I paid $12500 for a 2002 790 that had 24 hours on the meter. This was in 2004. This one has the 419 loader (the one you're looking at probably does too).
So, $15K isn't a really good price. It depends on how bad you want the tractor...but I'd suspect a better deal is down the road.

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #8  
You could buy that setup for about $15,500 out the door and it would be brand new (2007) with a new warranty in your name. The factory 2 year warranty is up. Even if it is in perfect condition, I would suggest paying no more than $12,500 The seller might have paid too much to begin with and is trying to recover his costs. He night still owe that much if he bought it with zero down and has not reduced the principal balance. Virtually any buyer without trying hard could get that package new for $15,500 and get JD financing in minutes

If you can pay cash, offer $12,500, be polite and leave your phone number. You will most likely get a call in a week or so. No sane person will steal it from under you at $15,000 Hauling an unneeded 790 to Arizona would not be high on the sellers list of things to do soon.

As I warned another potential buyer in a post a month ago, make sure you get a notarized bill of sale and solid proof that the seller is indeed the actual owner. Verify that there is no lien on it from a lender. His bill of sale AND invoice will confirm that. In some states, one of those documents might say cash and the debt might only show up on one document, not both.

Since there will not be a title like a car, make 100% sure he has the right to sell it. If he owes money on it, your check must be made out to the seller AND the lender. If that overpays his acct, he can get his original lender to refund the extra money in a couple weeks or so.

/ All JD owners, is this a good price?
Man, all good advice from everybody and thanks. I'll make a lesser offer and see where we go from there. My thought was that this set-up would cost about $20,000 but like I said I had no idea and no time to price around. Thanks all.

/ All JD owners, is this a good price? #10  
Temp97 said:
My thought was that this set-up would cost about $20,000 but like I said I had no idea and no time to price around. Thanks all.

You can alwas go to The John Deere Home Page and get MSRP prices, Follow the link to CUT's, then "Build Your Own".