X series drive over decks??

/ X series drive over decks?? #1  

ChuckinNH

Elite Member, R.I.P.
Tractor
(B2620, had BX22) Simplicity Legacy w/48" mmm
The rumor is around that the JD X series will be getting drive over mowing decks. Does anyone have any confirmation on that?

/ X series drive over decks?? #2  
I sure hope not. Or should I say I'm glad I have a X475! :D

/ X series drive over decks??
:) Yes , new, and improved seldom is it seems. It's good to simplify, but it would be nice if quality, and function would remain when they do. By the way, how do you like your DR Chipper? I've looked at those, and the similar though slightly heavier Bearcat. I sure need something!

/ X series drive over decks?? #4  
The DR works great, but I have nothing to compare it to. ;)

/ X series drive over decks?? #5  
Chuck, it is true. Deere is offering the 7 Iron 60" deck on the new X700 series tractors. I contacted my dealer about putting one on my X595 but was told it would not fit. Deere apparently changed the mounting bracket on the tractor frame. At this point there is not retro fit piece available for our older tractors.

I think the 7 Iron deck is a big improvement. I have the 62C deck on my 595 and accumulates the "sludge" if there is the slightest amount of moisture when mowing. It is easy to see why. The 62C has all sorts of obstructions and rivet/weld/bolt heads that protrude onto the bottom surface of the deck. Once clippings start to hand up the process just manifests until there is two inches of the sludge that you darn near need an air chisel to remove.

I had the 60" inch 7 Iron deck on my JD 4300 compact utility 6 years ago and can tell you there is an incredible difference. The 7 Iron deck is completely void of the obstructions that limit the clippings to be blown out. It also did a very nice job of cutting.

Now driving over the deck with the tractor, that's a different matter. I'm not sure about that procedure. We will have to see. Somehow that just doesn't seem right.

But if I could put the 7 Iron 60" on my 595 I wouldn't hesitate.

Deadman: Thanks for the response on the DR Chipper. Knowing that you are happy with it gives me more confidence in the ability of the chipper to perform as advertised.
TCowner: Thanks for the input on both the 62c, and 7Iron decks. The deck on my Legacy has bolt heads, etc. on the underside, so I understand what you are saying about the difficulty in keeping it clean in damp grass. How would you rate the removal, and installation of the 62c deck? Do you have a powerflow collection system?
Thanks everyone for the help I'm getting here,
Chuck

/ X series drive over decks?? #7  
The 7-iron deck (60D) is offered with the new x700-series only, not available on the previous x-series. You drive over the deck backwards to mount the deck.

60-in. 7-Iron™ mower deck (60D)
clearpix.gif
ltgreypix.gif
430754_x740_7iron_rf_stu.jpg
60-in. 7-Iron mower deck on X700 Tractor​

The 60-in. 7-Iron mower deck is compatible with 2007 model year X700, X720, X740, X728, and X748 Tractors. It is ideal for customers who need to mow green, thick, and heavy grass:
  • Commercial operators
  • Government agencies
  • Large-property owners
  • Agricultural customers
430276_7iron_back_up_to_275s.jpg
Backing up to 7-Iron mower deck to install​

430274_7iron_trac_on_275s.jpg
Ramps are provided to protect mower​

The on-ramp feature simplifies installation and removal of the 60-in. 7-Iron mower deck. Being able to drive over the mower deck eliminates the work of rolling it under the tractor.
Key features of the 60-in. 7-Iron mower deck include:
  • Performance
    • Deep-deck design from front to back and side to side delivers commercial mowing capacity
      • 5.5-in. deep deck allows for a greater volume of grass to be cut at higher speeds
      • Provides increased vacuum action and reduced clipping drop
      • Allows for increased airflow and more lift of the grass
    • Stamped design provides a smooth underside, with fewer sharp corners, for reduced material buildup
    • The front edge of the deck is raised above the blade plane to allow even cutting of tall grass
    • Wide discharge opening provides even clipping dispersal for an excellent finished appearance in all conditions
    • 1/4-in. increments allow the operator to fine-tune the cutting height
    • Plastic discharge deflector reduces damage to foliage and resists bending
    • Spiral bevel gearbox provides more gear tooth contact than straight-cut gears because of the spiral profile of the gear teeth for quieter operation and improved load capacity
    • Mulch attachment and material collection system options are available
      • TCB10953 Mulch Kit (60-in. 7-Iron and 7-Iron II)
      • BM22330 Power Flow Kit for 7-Iron; use with 14 bu. 3-Bag Power Flow (2712M) and MC519 Cart Power Flow (3302M)
  • Durability
    • 7-gauge (.177-in.) stamped-steel durability
    • Stamped design eliminates welds on the shell and provides rounded corners that distribute impact stress when the mower contacts obstacles like trees, rocks, and curbs
    • A 5/8-in. solid steel bar is welded to the mower deck perimeter for added strength and protection
    • Heat-treated 1-in. cold-forged blade spindles are supported by ball bearings to provide reliability and long life
    • Large anti-scalp wheels and front caster wheels provide durability and smooth operation
  • Convenience
    • Quick-change mower wheel height
    • A wash port on the left-hand side of the deck is standard equipment for easy cleanout
    • Easy installation and removal of the mower drive shaft
    • On-ramp feature simplifies installation and removal of the mower
    • Minimal physical effort is required for installation or removal
Specifications:

Tractor Compatibility 2007 model year X700, X720, X740, X728, X748 Cutting Width 60-in. Cut Height/Increments 1- to 4.5-in./.25-in. Construction Stamped 7-gauge (.177-in.) steel Blade Overlap 1.57-in. (40 mm) Gearbox Spiral bevel gears Blade Tip Speed 16,500 ft./min. Blade Spindles Three 1-in. diameter Mower Wheels 4 heavy-duty greasable Mower Drive ShaftTractor compatibility The exceptional mowing performance of the 60-in. 7-Iron mower is in part due to the larger front-to-rear distance and greater depth of the deck. These larger dimensions are the reason for the tractor and equipment compatibility issues explained below:
  • Requires model year 2007 (SN 20001- ) X700, X720, X728, X740, or X748 Tractor
    • Model year 2007 tractors have a change to the frame weldment that adds a second position that is required to attach the mower rear draft arms for the 60-in. 7-Iron mower; this cannot be added to earlier model tractors so this mower cannot be used on them
  • Not compatible with 4-wheel-steer tractors
  • Front fenders must be removed from Special-Edition Tractors
  • Tractor requires turf tires or HDAP tires shipped as BM22425* (available February 2007)
    *BM22425 26x12.0-12 in. 2PR HDAP Tires (Rear) includes two wheels with slightly shorter HDAP tires that are compatible with the 60-in. 7-Iron mower to replace BM20953 26x12.0-12 in. 2PR HDAP Tires (Rear). In a few weeks, tractors will be manufactured with these new tires. The tractor serial number breaks will be made available at that time. BM20953 26x12.0-12 in. 2PR HDAP Tires (Rear) will remain on the tire return program until 1 June 2006.
Note: Because of the large fore-aft dimension of the 60-in. 7-Iron mower, bar tires or the current HDAP tires may rub on the mower deck, particularly if they are near the limits of the manufacturing diameter tolerance, and therefore cannot be recommended.

2007_x700_rear_draft_mnt_c.jpg
2007 tractor rear draft arm mounting bracket​

2006_x700_rear_draft_mnt_c.jpg
2006 and prior tractor mounting bracket​

Illustrations above show the change in the tractor rear draft arm mounting points made for 2007 to accommodate the 60-in. 7-Iron mower deck. Because of the tight tolerances between the deck and the tractor tires, the exact location of these mounting points is critical and modification to an earlier model tractor to fit the 7-Iron deck is not recommended. The rear draft arms are also changed for 2007.
Compatibility with a tractor equipped with 3-point hitch If a tractor is equipped with a 3-point hitch, the 3-point hitch bundle must be one of the following:
  • BM22286 (replaces BM21801) Category 1 hitch or
  • BM21801 Category 1 hitch updated with a M156163 shoulder pin and 14M7296 nut to replace the pin at the rod end of the hydraulic cylinder or
  • BM21263 Category 1 hitch updated with BM22284 adapter kit
Compatibility with soft and hard cabs The change to 2007 model year tractor frames to add rear draft arm mounting points to accommodate the 60-in. 7-Iron mower interferes with the ROPS hard cab (9352M) and ROPS soft cab (9353M). New mounting parts can be ordered from Parts to make the cabs compatible with the 60-in. 7-Iron mower.
  • AM136896 support, RH replaces AM120662
  • AM136897 support, LH replaces AM120663
Even with these new mounting parts, the mower lift height with a cab installed will be limited to 3-in. unless the following parts are also ordered and installed on the mower; thus the following parts are required and will allow the mower to have a lift-height of up to 4-in. with the cab installed.
  • Two M156659 low-profile drive-over ramps (available March 2007)
  • One M156699 left-hand belt shield (available March 2007)
  • One M156700 right-hand belt shield (available March 2007)
Note: When these low-profile drive-over ramps are installed on the mower, there is no room to add the upper sheave needed to drive the Power FlowTM blower so there is no material collection capability. The standard ramps have been designed to allow installation of the Power Flow blower and provide the maximum amount of mower lift height while protecting the upper (Power Flow) sheave. The Power Flow is not compatible with the combination of a cab and the 60-in. 7-Iron mower.
CodeBundleDescription SKU2226060-in. 7-Iron shaft driven mower deck for X700 2WS Tractors (60D)
Note: Requires model year 2007 (Serial 20001-) X700 Series tractor. Requires turf tires, HDAP tires shipped on Serial -(SNs to be added when available), or HDAP tires shipped as BM22425. Requires fenders to be removed from SE tractors. If tractor is equipped with 3-point hitch, the hitch bundle must be BM22286 or be updated. See sales manual for conversion alternatives. Not compatible with 4-wheel steer. When used with cabs, see sales manual for compatibility information. Last Updated : 06-Mar-2007

Thanks! I guess there is no way I could ask for more detailed information than that. I appreciate the effort you took to research that, and give such a complete response.
Chuck

/ X series drive over decks?? #9  
Looks like that deck has the undesireable front gauge wheels that everyone is complaining about. I have a 7iron 72" deck and the 'older'style 54. I think that all decks will accumulate green sludge no matter what. Plus, is it really easier to drive over than to pull it out? Maybe it is but then again maybe it's just a novelty feature.

/ X series drive over decks?? #10  
unit40 said:
Looks like that deck has the undesireable front gauge wheels that everyone is complaining about. I have a 7iron 72" deck and the 'older'style 54. I think that all decks will accumulate green sludge no matter what. Plus, is it really easier to drive over than to pull it out? Maybe it is but then again maybe it's just a novelty feature.

I have the 62D drive over deck for my 2320. It is, without a doubt, easier to install and uninstall the drive over deck as opposed to a deck you slide in and out from the side. I have experienced both. If the novelty is saving time and saving your back and knuckles then I'll take that novelty everyday. Definately not just a novelty feature.