Price Check 2320 price check

/ 2320 price check #1  

VTtractorguy

Silver Member
Tractor
Still looking...
Hi folks. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on a 2320 but I'm not sure if I'm settling in at the best price. Here in VT/NH I’m seeing price swings by as much as $800.00 for the same equipment. And when I see what a few others have paid around the country, my lowest price still seems high. So here’s the best I’ve seen:

R4s (loaded)
200CX
54D w/ lift Kit & independent lift
Ballast box
Block heaters

I’m really not trying to beat these guys up (too badly) but by the same token, I don’t want to overpay. Having just built a house which is ridiculously over budget, this is a really tight stretch to begin with… So every penny counts.

What do you think?

thx

BTW... what a great forum this is! good people and very informative.

/ 2320 price check #2  
VTtractorguy,

You live in a geographic area that is known to be close to list. I've suggested in the past to others looking to save a buck, that it might be worth looking at a MA or CT dealer, even if you had to pay sales tax, but then service can become an issue.

I think you would be happier with a wider MMM though. That 54 will barely cover the wheelbase, especially when you edge around curves. A wider deck will also make the tractor effectively more maneuverable, by reducing the uncut circle. Just something to think about.

/ 2320 price check
JDFANATIC

Thanks for your reply. I will check with a few dealers in your area. Regarding the 54" deck, our property is quite hilly in areas and I thought the narrower footprint would fit into the nooks & crannies a bit better and perhaps not scalp as much. But your thought on the width of the wheels makes sense. I’ve heard that the 62” deck can dig in at the edges a bit when turning corners. Is that true?

thx

/ 2320 price check #4  
VTtractorguy,

I've heard of some issues on the 2320/2520 with the 62D deck (I believe Deere has a kit to fix this), but I know of none on the 62C. I do have the anti-scalp wheels on a higher setting than factory recommended. This is because I have a lot of slope conditions where I'm mowing on them and turning. I found the anti-scalph wheels would dig and eventually kill the grass in an arc. Raising the wheels does away with this condition, with the only negative being that you can get slight steps (like a 1/4") between passes. To me its never been bothersome. This condition might be a hair bit less on a narrower deck, but again the ability to edge and overlap the tire imprint overshadows the negatives.

/ 2320 price check #5  
Go for the wider deck. Have you gone on the Deere website and priced it out yourself? JDfanatic is correct about shopping in MA and CT. You also might call down to VA and request a quote including delivery and use that as a guide. The local dealers can always get you on parts and serfvice , so they should not (Yes "should not") take offense to you shopping around for the better price - Just don't forget to remove the other dealers sticker if you choose to buy out of state LOL!. I bought 2 tractors outside of the state where I lived. I just dealt with local dealers who were more concerned about getting my long-term business anyway they could instead of trying to get a sale.

/ 2320 price check
JDFANATIC

Again, thanks. I just spoke with a dealer in MA (Pittsfield) and you're right. Their prices are a bit better, but not so much that I'd travel that far. The local service is more important than saving a few hundred bucks.

Regarding the deck... Based on what you said and what the dealer said, I think I'll go with the 62D. Thanks for raising the point.

Lastly, what do you have for tires on your 2210 - R4s or turfs? I'm a bit nervious chewing up the lawn with the R4s but equally nervious about going into the woods with turfs... Decisions, decisions...

/ 2320 price check
Nuru:

Thanks also for the input... Sold on the deck. I will call down to VA for the fun of it and see what they say.

Geez... can't wait to get this beast. My family will never see me... just the green blob out in the woods.

/ 2320 price check #8  
VTtractorguy said:
Nuru:

Thanks also for the input... Sold on the deck. I will call down to VA for the fun of it and see what they say.

Geez... can't wait to get this beast. My family will never see me... just the green blob out in the woods.
Your welcome. Sounds like you need to do what I did. Find a set of used turfs or R4's depending on which ones you choose to get on the tractor. I got lucky and got an extra set of Galaxy Turf Specials for golf course work and will use that for my lawn and increased stability on the slopes! I jusdt got them yesterday, the fronts are hiding behind the rears on the Driver side of the tractor. I got the entire set (Fronts 25/10.50LL-15 and Rears 41/18LL-16.1 ) for $700 bucks, and that is less than the rubber costs for 1 of the rear wheels at this size. So deals can handle any decision you make. Good luck.

Attachments

• 4310 and extra turfs.JPG
    4310 and extra turfs.JPG
    31.3 KB · Views: 147
   / 2320 price check #9  
VTtractorguy said:
JDFANATIC

Again, thanks. I just spoke with a dealer in MA (Pittsfield) and you're right. Their prices are a bit better, but not so much that I'd travel that far. The local service is more important than saving a few hundred bucks.

Regarding the deck... Based on what you said and what the dealer said, I think I'll go with the 62D. Thanks for raising the point.

Lastly, what do you have for tires on your 2210 - R4s or turfs? I'm a bit nervious chewing up the lawn with the R4s but equally nervious about going into the woods with turfs... Decisions, decisions...
I think the turf vs. R4 discussion will go on forever. I have turfs. I have friends with R4s on the same tractor; both have plusses and minuses. R4s will tear up your lawn a bit more than the turfs, but arranging your landscaping to have fewer sharp bends can negate all or most of this. Turfs in mud are no fun at all. I think turfs are better in the snow, but friends also disagree on this point.

/ 2320 price check #10  
JDFANATIC said:
I think the turf vs. R4 discussion will go on forever. I have turfs. I have friends with R4s on the same tractor; both have plusses and minuses. R4s will tear up your lawn a bit more than the turfs, but arranging your landscaping to have fewer sharp bends can negate all or most of this. Turfs in mud are no fun at all. I think turfs are better in the snow, but friends also disagree on this point.

I used turfs in the snow too and they did well on my 4100. But they were kinda wide. The turfs thast came with the 4310 were not so wide so they were slipping a little in light snow. i will try the turf specials the next time and see how they are. The tire maker said don't load'em, so I am kinda chicken about loading them at this point. I do think the fronts could use it - foam version for heavy loader work.