Price Check Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #1  

Engine66

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305 & 4720/400cx/BH448
I called my local JD dealer and received a quote for a X748SE, 60" 7 Iron deck and the powerflow 14 bushel bagger for $14,850. It essentially amonts to approximately 5% off MSRP. I have heard of people getting 10-15% off, but apparently this set-up needs to be ordered...it's not on the floor inventory waiting to be moved.

I know this price puts me in-line with a CUT, but I already have a Kubota L3830 w/loader, BH, rear blade, rake, and rotary cutter, so my "tractor" needs are handled. What I am interested in the X748 is it's ability to give me comfortable mowing experience and ability to access approximately 4,000 feet of walking trail on my property. My Craftsman GT5000 has a big heart and is willing to work like a dog, but it simply loses traction once the deck hangs up on something or hits a wet spot...then I work like a dog getting it unstuck. I use the rotary cutter in some areas, but the L3830 tears up portions of the land and there are some tight turns that are tough to negotiate with a huge 72" rotary cutter sticking off the ***-end of the tractor.

Other than the high price and lower trade-in value than a CUT like the 2305, I have read nothing but positive things about the x700 series. I read the seat on this SE is unequaled in comfort...I have injured my back several times at work and a comfortable seat is a high priority. Also, I looked into hold-over X585...all sold and no good used comparable equipment avialable at this time.

Any thoughts, wisdom, or advice from you guys with more experience than I on this unit, price, etc? Thanks again for your time.

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #2  
My dealer quoted me 12800.00 for same setup 6 months ago with no powerflow. i think there about 800$. and one i looked at already had a PTO.
so i would think you could do a little better.:)
I am in georgia. so i dont know the priceing differences.;)
it looks as if there is about a grand left on the table.

Chris

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #3  
engine66,

From what I have seen, any give on the part of a VT/NH dealer is a plus. As for the tasks you have listed, I think you will be very happy with the X. As long as you don't want to add 3PH, rear-PTO, and a loader, and are OK with the potential depreciation should you need to unload the tractor, this is the ultimate HD L&G tractor combo. :)

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #4  
Check the classifieds under lawn and garden tractors. There is/was an x585 in NH that has been for sale for some time. Close to what you are after but with a 54 inch deck instead of the 7 Iron. Much less expensive if you could make it work for you, especially if you sell the loader. I seriously considered it but ended up with a new Kubota instead. Good luck.

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #5  
I hate to beat a dead horse (not that I ever really have) but last fall, Deere reduced the MSRP on the entire C&CE (Commercial & Consumer Equipment) lineup, but did not lower the dealer price. This effectively reduced the dealer margin between cost and list. Therefore, the amount available as a discount off list price is now lower. 5 to 10% off list is about where most dealers will be with the new pricing. Factory rebates / bonuses, if available can also help...

Engine66 - If you don't need / want the extra "bells & whistles" on the X748SE, try looking at a "regular" X748 and just add the Deluxe Seat. I did some quick figuring and, at my discount structure, you would be at $14,400.00 for the same package. If the wheels, fenders and brushguard are not a big deal for you, it could save you a little.

Chris2520 - the 14 Bushel MCS is $765.00, but you still need the PowerFlow system, the chute and the bracket - which brings the total to over $1,500.00

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #6  
ok if you take 14400$ and take 1500 off that would make 12900. so i guess
his price was pretty much in line. ;) though 14400 to me is a lot for a lawn mower. i have driven a X595 and a X748. and i will tell you. it is without a doubt the finest lawn tractor on the planet.:) So if mowing and light work is what you want spend the money. cause you cant get any better bar none.
I promise.:) it rides like rideing in your car.

And dont forget the pictures. We like pictures...:D

Chris;)

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #7  
Engine66 said:
I called my local JD dealer and received a quote for a X748SE, 60" 7 Iron deck and the powerflow 14 bushel bagger for $14,850. It essentially amonts to approximately 5% off MSRP. I have heard of people getting 10-15% off, but apparently this set-up needs to be ordered...it's not on the floor inventory waiting to be moved.

I know this price puts me in-line with a CUT, but I already have a Kubota L3830 w/loader, BH, rear blade, rake, and rotary cutter, so my "tractor" needs are handled. What I am interested in the X748 is it's ability to give me comfortable mowing experience and ability to access approximately 4,000 feet of walking trail on my property. My Craftsman GT5000 has a big heart and is willing to work like a dog, but it simply loses traction once the deck hangs up on something or hits a wet spot...then I work like a dog getting it unstuck. I use the rotary cutter in some areas, but the L3830 tears up portions of the land and there are some tight turns that are tough to negotiate with a huge 72" rotary cutter sticking off the ***-end of the tractor.

Other than the high price and lower trade-in value than a CUT like the 2305, I have read nothing but positive things about the x700 series. I read the seat on this SE is unequaled in comfort...I have injured my back several times at work and a comfortable seat is a high priority. Also, I looked into hold-over X585...all sold and no good used comparable equipment avialable at this time.

Any thoughts, wisdom, or advice from you guys with more experience than I on this unit, price, etc? Thanks again for your time.

We sell very few of these machines, because of the main point you mention, i.e., priced the same as a SCUT. Having said that, you list all the reasons to have one to complement your existing equipment. If wanted, email me on the side what you want and I will see if some dated (new equipment is sitting around in the NE), so you might be able to sweeten the deal; that is, after 6-months dealers begin paying fees against the piece if not sold.

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger
I spoke with my dealer again about the 7 Iron deck and although he praises the deck as it is used on larger equipment, he also has praise for the standard decks and never had any problems or complaints from customers. He said the standard decks perform very well and if I have a garage to keep the tractor in, the deck removal is not difficult at all, although it may be a bit easier to attach/remove the 7 Iron. One problem with the 7 Iron is a possible reduction in ground clearance due to it's larger depth of 5 1/2 inches and the drive over ramps. He can't say for sure yet what the clearance would be as he has yet to outfit a X748 with a 7 Iron. So I may go with the 54" deck which would bring the package price down to $13,500 or the 62" which would bring the price down to $13,700.

On my property, every inch of ground clearance counts and I think the standard decks will give me maybe an inch or 1 1/2 extra clearance. Do you guys agree with that guess or have any other info on ground clearance? Thanks again to you all for the help. The dealer has been very courteous and seems to want to make my first JD purchase a very positive one. His price includes full set-up, block heater, and tire fill if I want it. Do you think I should have the reas filled or leave them dry for less weight? Thanks.

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #9  
If you're not going with the 7-Iron I'd recommend the 62C MMM. The extra width makes it easier to mow close to things without damaging the tractor. I can't speak to ground clearance on an X series with either deck.

I'd take the extra weight in the tires unless you have soft ground that could be damaged by the additional weight.

Good Luck!

Scott

/ Is this a good price? X748SE w/7 Iron & Bagger #10  
Ditto the 62C for the better overlap that will make edging easier.