Need help on 445 issue

/ Need help on 445 issue #1  

445man

I currently have an AWS445 that needs front tires. JD put 425 tires on the AWS including the 455. Current size is 16x7.50x8 and what I would like to do is put on 18x8.50x8, this is the size that go on the two wheel steer 445 and 455. Two questions, how much will this affect the rake of the deck and is it enough to worry about? Will there be a problem with clearance? Has anyone had any experience changing tire size.

/ Need help on 445 issue #2  
I've often thought of changing the tires of my 425 (all 4) 2 wheel steer to the larger size, which of course offers no compromise for the mower deck, all things beings equal, just a speed increase with a wheel torque decrease.
I looked at the pivot on the front of the deck of my 425, and believe that you might have enough adjustment range to do what you're considering. The turning circle of the tractor will be increased somewhat, if this is a consideration. The larger tire size only raises the front wheel spindle height by 1 inch, so the deck should be raised by somewhat less than an inch. Sounds reasonable.

/ Need help on 445 issue #3  
445man said:
I currently have an AWS445 that needs front tires. JD put 425 tires on the AWS including the 455. Current size is 16x7.50x8 and what I would like to do is put on 18x8.50x8, this is the size that go on the two wheel steer 445 and 455. Two questions, how much will this affect the rake of the deck and is it enough to worry about? Will there be a problem with clearance? Has anyone had any experience changing tire size.

I have a non-4WS 455 with 18x8.50x8s and the clearance is really tight, so I could well see you'd have problems. What are you looking to gain with the bigger tire?

Tim

/ Need help on 445 issue
For what its worth, I went ahead and installed the bigger tires and the tractor feels great. The ride is much better, the steering much easier and as of now I do not see any difference in the mowing performance. It may have taken away from the steering radius but it is not hardly noticeable.