Buying a JD 4520

/ Buying a JD 4520 #1  

rhomium

Anyone own a JD 4520 by chance? If so, what do you like/dislike about it. Been looking for a new tractor for awhile and just ordered a 4520. After looking at the Case DX55/ NH TC55, I preferred some of the JD features a little better. Probably a little late since I ordered the tractor already, but figured I'd see what the prevailing opinions were.

Thanks,

JP

/ Buying a JD 4520 #2  
I bought a 4520 about two years ago. I have really been pleased with the
tractor. The only problem I have had is the fuel sender had to be replaced .It was not showing the correct amount of fuel in the tank. The tractor has plenty of pulling power and handles well
The only thing that I was disappointed with was the lifting power of the front end loader with a pair of forks attached. I was trying to lift a stack of
brick weighing around 2500# it wouldn't raise it at all. I may be expecting it to do too much. But over all I would buy the same exact tractor again. I had a 4510 before the 4520, and I can tell alot of difference in the power.
I paid about $ 24,000.00 for the tractor w/a 400 x loader ,power reverser,
r-4 tires. Dealer's first quote was 28,500,then came down to 24,000.00
delivered. Good luck with your green machine!

/ Buying a JD 4520
Well our entire farm is full of red machines. And I'm not much of a JD fan, but the price compared to a Case was pretty hard to beat. I'm sure the family will give me a crap for years.

/ Buying a JD 4520 #4  
I grew up around "Big Red Machines", too. IH560, 656, 806, 856. And a few Allis Chalmers and Fords and a couple of Case's (1070 and 1370 with PowerShift) when I was in college. But, it seemed whenever I had a chance to run a Deere; the little things --- like the fit of body panels and controls, layout and response was just a fraction better than the others, IMO.

Get the 400CX loader and I don't think you'll regret it. The rest of the family will give you a good ribbing --- and then they'll wanna be usin' your tractor ALL the time!!

AKfish

/ Buying a JD 4520
I did order the 400cx loader. Not too interested in the self leveling part, just that it lifts more weight than the 400x.

Here's what I ordered:

4520 w. 12/12 tranny, 400cx loader, r1 tires, dual mid and single rear svc, telescoping links, power beyond, mid pto, 3rd function hyd. lines up front, skid steer carrier, 72" HD bucket.

Can't wait to play w/ the skid steer attachments. I'm going to be digging trenches all over the place.

/ Buying a JD 4520 #6  
I think you will really like your 4520. I had one which I sold to get a smaller tractor that was easier to tote around on a trailer. The 4520 has really good power and it is a smooth machine. I echo the 400x loader problems. I think the cx is the better choice. With a 4n1 bucket on mine, it could not lift anything super heavy as the bucket empty weighed well over 400 pounds.

John M

/ Buying a JD 4520 #7  
I've owned a 4720 for about a year now (my previous tractors were regular farm type, rear wheel drive) and everyone who's used it so far is amazed with the power/traction for this size machine; R1 tires, rear loaded. I leveled 32 yards of gravel last week over pure mud and ruts without even coming close to getting stuck. I lifted the hitch and pushed a partially loaded 20' box trailer backwards using the pallet forks in the soft gravel, forgetting to engage the mfwd; she stood there spinning . . . until I flipped the lever. She just walked away with it. Your 4520 should be pretty close in performance. Good choice!