John Deere sold at Lowes & HD

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
Any truth to the rumor that these are "watered down" JD lawn tractors? That's what i've been hearing.

I can't believe how much cheaper a 26HP JD 120 was than my 18HP GT235 was way back in 2001!!!

I'm thinking my local John deere dealer either burned me for my GT235 or these new JD "100" series must be a lesser-built tractor?

Anyone know the truth?

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #2  
I am wondering th esame thing. I have a 2003 Gt 225 that I paid about $5500 for. Nice tractor, but a 26 HP tractor at Lowes with a 54" deck is $2700!!!

I have been considering a LA130 as a second tractor, but i am concerned that it is cheaply made.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #3  
Others can give you far more detail, but my research showed me that the box store JDs are built to compete at the low end. Meaning that they are not comparable to the better JD mowers you get directly from the dealers. I researched the X500 and X700 series before buying and learned that they are far stronger machines than the LA series. Better shafts, stronger decks, better engines, etc. Overall, just a much better quality of build than you would expect out of a box store machine.

I don't think you were 'taken' on the costs of your machines from the dealers...

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #4  
This is how pretty much all the outdoor power equipment is at the box stores. Top to bottom, all these guys care about is selling at a low price and they will kill the quality of anything they sell to do it. I've heard some increadible speeches from the guys at Stihl about the meetings they have had with them and why they will never sell there. Did you know that most anything with a Honda engine on it in a box store is actually a Chineese engines with a Honda sticker...?

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #5  
Most "box tores" sell entry level tractors and mowers. The HP numbers are misleading as that is a marketing ploy. A 25 or 27 HP light duty lawn tractor is not stronger and better than a 20 HP garden tractor rated for use pulling a plow, cultivators, etc. You need to look at more than HP numbers, you need to look at frame construction, engine design life, axle size, serviceability of the hydrostatic unit, ratings for pulling an airator, or garden cultivation tools. It's like comparing a light duty imported pick-up truck vs. a full size pickup truck. Yep they are both trucks, might both have the same HP, but the full size one will haul more weight with less strain than the smaller truck.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD
I hated to see JD go to "the box". I think it was a BIG mistake, like when they made the "Sabre" tractors. They were a flop. My JD dealer was really upset when they started selling them at lowes. He said he won't service them, even if they're under warranty.

I see some Milwaukee tools in the boxes now, too.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #7  
From my observations it appears that the Lowes/HD JD lawn/garden tractors are sold through/prepped by/ and/or serviced by a local dealer - there is usually a local dealer sticker on the tractor or the dealer name on the board were you drop your warranty card.. I would also guess if a dealer wont service one from a Box, its just because he isnt the dealer associated with that store.

I think I heard/read that Lowes and HD sell similar models (but just the exactly the same model number) My dad was able to get better price at a local dealer for the L130 (or L135) than at Lowes/HD

there was a previous thread regarding the same topice and what I got out of it was, as already stated - the Box JD's are priced to sell against the comparable models of the competition. If you go to the 300 and up series the price goes up, but you get bigger/better components..

brian

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD #9  
The 100 series JD's sold at HD & Lowes are the "economy" models and they are also sold at JD dealerships at the same price. JD sets the price and both the box stores and the dealers sell at this set price.
The 100 series is designed to compete pricewise w/the Craftsmen and MTD made riders.
These are good lawn tractors but they are the economy
offerings.
Traditionalist JD L&G owners knock them for the most part but they seem to provide good performance for the price.

/ John Deere sold at Lowes & HD
Volfandt said:
The 100 series JD's sold at HD & Lowes are the "economy" models and they are also sold at JD dealerships at the same price. JD sets the price and both the box stores and the dealers sell at this set price.
The 100 series is designed to compete pricewise w/the Craftsmen and MTD made riders.
These are good lawn tractors but they are the economy
offerings.
Traditionalist JD L&G owners knock them for the most part but they seem to provide good performance for the price.

Since you have seat time on the "Box store" 100 series, can you compare it performance wise to a JD "GT" series garden tractor? I want to find out from someone like you who has experience with them what's the real deal on these.