JD GT245 Weights?

/ JD GT245 Weights? #1  

WSJ

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti CK25
I'm purchasing a 2005 GT245 w/ 48" deck that I intend to also buy a snow blower/thrower for and I'd like opinions on which type of weights to get for it. I've used the bolt on wheel weights and generally just keep them on all the time for traction and a better ride. This machine has an integral rear weight bracket and accepts suitcase weights.

Any advantage of one over the other? How much weight/how many wieghts? Wheel plus suitcase? Are wheel weights (and wheels) sufficiently standard that I can get a universal weight set for something with 23x10.5-12 tires? Or am I limited to JD dealer for new?

Thanks. -WSJ

/ JD GT245 Weights? #2  
Many of the new style wheels won't take the weights without drilling holes in the wheel!!!! The weights on the bracket are behind the axle and normally require less weight to equal the work of the wheel weights.

/ JD GT245 Weights? #3  
I have a 225 with wheel weights that I always leave on. I mow hilly lawns and need them for traction. I also have front wheel weight sthat I remove when snowblowing. Additionally, I add two 42# suitcase weights to the weight bracket for snowblowing.

/ JD GT245 Weights? #4  
you definitely do NOT want to drill holes in your rear wheels to add weight on machines w/o holes, but the 245 has holes and is intended to have wheel weight sas an option.

/ JD GT245 Weights?
Thanks for the feedback. And I answered one of my own questions this weekend at the local Tractor Supply store: Cub Cadet/MTD style weights for the 12" wheel won't fit the JD wheel style. Looks like I'm off to the local JD dealer for wheel weights at least, and maybe 2 suitcase weights depending on how much everything costs. -WSJ