Any feedback on x320 or x340

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #1  

klh92

I've searched and searched and can't seem to find anything on the x320 or x340. I'm in need of a new mower and had always dreamed of a jd. I'm coming off of a craftsman and really don't need all the bells and whistles, i just need something that mows and mows solid and good. My 3 acres are quite rough, rolling, uneven, lots of rocks and crap. I live in an area that is quite rocky and there is always new rocks popping up in the yard. I'd like a mower that can hold up to this and allow me to cut through the 3 acres quickly and without bogging down. I work quite a bit and sometimes, just sometimes I miss a week of mowing. I'd like a mower that I don't have to go .00003 miles per hour mowing in this case. So, any thoughts on these machines? Any other suggestions? I'm also looking at cub 2550 and 2554. Any thoughts on pricing for the x320 or x340? Thanks..this is an awesome site for folks like me.

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #2  
Try under "Related Equipment" / 'Lawn & Garden'

Steve

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #3  
I looked seriously at getting an X540 machine, but not too much at the X300 series. However, the same cutting deck is used on the X-series machines and the 2305. I have the 2305 and can report that the 54" deck cuts like nobody's business. Sure, the diesel engine has more torque and power than the X3xx Kawasaki will produce, but I'll bet it will still do a decent job. Do you plan on mulching or bagging? One thing I can say is that the X-series are far superior machines than what you'll get from a box store.

Expect to shell out ~$3000 for an X320, and seriously consider the twin-cylinder, water cooled option. Have fun searching...

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340
Thanks for the feedback so soon. I looked at the x500 series as well and thought very seriously but in the end, thought I could save a few thousand by going with the x300 series and I really don't think I need all of that. My utilimate goal is to get something like the 2305 (not that i need it, just that I really want it), but that will be a few years.

what do you mena about considering the twin cylinder water cooled option...is that an optional feature on teh x300 series?

Also, Steve_Miller, I looked in teh lawn and garden but the only disucssion I could find was about a older model 300...I guess model numbers have been re-used and is causing some confusion. Thanks again....buying is a very hard ddecision....harder than buying a car I think.

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #5  
A quick check proves me wrong - no water cooled option on the X300 series. I was confused with the X540, which I was looking at. I'm assuming you'll want to do more than just mow, otherwise you should also look into ZTR's for the same price - much faster to cut with, but useless for most everything else. See if your JD dealer will loan you an X3xx mower for a weekend so you can try it out. I think you'll appreciate the upgrade over the Craftsman (I still have my 7yo LT1000 - works like a charm).

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #6  
klh92 said:
Also, Steve_Miller, I looked in teh lawn and garden but the only disucssion I could find was about a older model 300...I guess model numbers have been re-used and is causing some confusion. Thanks again....buying is a very hard ddecision....harder than buying a car I think.

I know, I've been searching for the last month or so trying to decide on what I want/need. Still haven't decided.

Steve

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #7  
Try looking here:
Weekend Freedom Machines
They are focused on JD lawn and garden equipment, mostly older stuff (pre 1992) but they do have a late model forum that would cover current models.
Good luck.
Bob

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #8  
I have an X320 and I love it. It has the air cooled Kawasaki twin that is night and day better than the Briggs that was on the previous L110. I keep 2.5 acres in lawn right now and I was tired of going so slow. I went from 4.5 hours to mow down to 2.5 hours, and that is with bagging. If I mow often I can ride along at the full 5.8 mph and still get a good cut.

If your lawn isn't going to be manicured like mine, I'd suggest having it set up as a mulch only. My only gripe is that it is a bit more of a chore to go back and forth (mulching/bagging). I just returned my mulch kit after figuring out that once I got it on, I would never want to take it back off.

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #9  
Interesting...

I switch from mulching to discharge every few weeks, or so. I mulch the yard, but go to discharge when I tackle the ditch banks along the road so I don't screw up my mulching blades. It takes about 30 minutes, or so, to do the change, including removing/re-installing the deck on the 2305. Maybe the belt drive on the X320 is more time consuming to remove?

/ Any feedback on x320 or x340 #10  
You probably don't have the power flow on your deck. On mine, you have to also install this big plastic plug/filler. The one thing that I really worried about is that I would never be able to figure out how to get the belt back on the power flow. It twists and goes around 3 or 4 pulleys.

The little L110 just needed the little plastic plug on the side discharge. That one took me 3 minutes to go back and forth, which I frequently did. I didn't even need to change the blades, which the dealer told me I really need to with the X320.

Oh well, it is my yard vacuum. Maybe after I figure out what my next yard is going to end up like, I might go ahead and put the mulch kit on. I am a big mulch fan.