Exmark vs John Deere ZTR

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #31  
Is the 28 hp Kawasaki a EFI engine, if so much better performance and gas usage.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #32  
Wesdor said:
Here in Illinois we just had a major snow storm go through and it must be at least 2 months before any lawn mowing happens.

HOWEVER, I did visit dealers today in hopes of getting this ZTR project figured out.

The price difference is still $1500 higher for the Exmark. I'm getting prices on the Exmark Lazer Z LZ28KA605. That is the 28 hp Kawasaki with the Triton 60" deck.

The Deere is the 2007 757. IT has the 25 hp Kawasaki and the 60" 7 Iron deck.

I don't really want to go with all the electronic options of the new Deere models since this machine is for mowing on the farm, not for commercial lawn care.

I have had good dealings with both dealers, so the quality of the dealer is not a part of this equation.

One big difference I see is in the decks. The Triton deck seems to be heavier duty than the 7 Iron. Deere says right up front that this is a stamped deck, but they go on to say it provides better longevity (no welds to break).

This puts me back to original question last fall - is the Exmark worth $1,500 more. Please keep in mind that I am expecting any ZTR I purchase to last at least 10 - 15 years. $1,500 is a lot of money to me, but when you spread it over 15 years, the savings doesn't look so big.

BTW - the price on the Exmark is for the 2007 model, so I need to make up my mind in the near future, before all of them are sold. If I go to the 2008 model it is another $300 ($1800 difference in price)

Thanks in advance for any helpful thoughts and ideas.

The new John Deere models have dual hydraulic pumps instead of one. The "electronic options" such as the PTO and deck lift are options. The new models will be priced within 2% of the 2007 models.

I WOULD NOT buy a Triton deck. There has been WAY too much cutting problems with that deck. I would go with the AS series to get the Ultracut deck.

Between the two, I would go with the JD. The stamped deck is nothing like a residential stamped deck. The 7 Iron II deck is tough and tried and true.

Go with the best dealer support...that is very important.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR
Thanks for the quick replies.

After doing more research I have found the Exmark Lazer HP 52". This is a new mower (that says possible trouble to me) with a Kohler 23 hp engine.

It does not have the Triton deck - I think the Ultra deck but am not certain). For sure the deck does not have the height of the Triton so that means not mowing in wet grass.

Price is $7000 which puts it well below the Deere.

I am reluctant to even consider a new model, but as the Exmark dealer just said to me on the phone: "If I'm spending YOUR money, then the higher priced mower is great. But if I'm spending MY money, the HP is what would be mowing my yard."

Since I do not have a commercial operation, I'm wondering how much difference the 8" of deck will really mean. On some of our uneven ground it might even turn out to be a plus.

I'll wait for the wisdom of you more experienced people.

Thanks again

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #34  
Wesdor,
Not to confuse the issue, but it sounds like you don't have a favorite yet anyway. Since there is no clear choice that jumps out at you, I would look a little longer. Have you checked for Scag and Grasshopper dealers in your area? Check their websites for dealer locations and you might be surprised who sells them close to you. I've been researching new mowers for months and have a similar sized area to mow as you do, along with some heavier waterways, orchard, etc to mow. I finally decided on a Grasshopper and hope to buy one this spring. I liked the fact that they have been one of the best for years and have been made in the same factory all along. They are as heavy duty as they come. Very minor changes over the years means easy parts access for 10-15 years for me (I hope). I looked at JD, Exmark, and then originally settled on Scag after test mowing with it (by far the best at my place). But I still liked my current old JD front mount style mower so I looked a little more and found the Grasshopper front mount mowers (they also make mid-mounts). It was an easy choice once I found those, now I only have to decide on an engine size, and gas vs diesel. I'm not trying to tell you to buy a Grasshopper, only to look until the decision is easier. I'm glad I did.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #35  
Wesdor said:
Thanks for the quick replies.

After doing more research I have found the Exmark Lazer HP 52". This is a new mower (that says possible trouble to me) with a Kohler 23 hp engine.

It does not have the Triton deck - I think the Ultra deck but am not certain). For sure the deck does not have the height of the Triton so that means not mowing in wet grass.

Price is $7000 which puts it well below the Deere.

I am reluctant to even consider a new model, but as the Exmark dealer just said to me on the phone: "If I'm spending YOUR money, then the higher priced mower is great. But if I'm spending MY money, the HP is what would be mowing my yard."

Since I do not have a commercial operation, I'm wondering how much difference the 8" of deck will really mean. On some of our uneven ground it might even turn out to be a plus.

I'll wait for the wisdom of you more experienced people.

Thanks again
Visit this website www.lawnsite.com and do alot of research.A ZTR mower is a big investment.I have bought 3 ZTR mowers in the past few years and finally settled on a 2007 Kubota 326 pro diesel eng.with a 61 inch cut.coobie

Coobie,
Thanks for the website link. That is where I found the information about the other Exmark.

Ford 850 - The nearest Grasshopper dealer is about a 45 minute drive from here. I'm sure they are very good people, but that seems like a long way when the Deere and Exmark dealers are much closer.

You are correct, no clear choice has jumped out at me, although that Exmark HP is starting to go to the front of the line. When I started this research I was looking at $10,000 and that is a huge amount of money for me. The top of the line Exmark is still there, but the Deere is only $8200 and the HP is $7000.

Currently the big question is how much impact the 52" vs 60" deck will have. The good news is that it will fit on my trailer (54" wide) and won't scalp uneven ground as easily. The bad news is that it will take more time to mow.

One thing is certain - I won't be mowing any grass for at least a couple of months. That gives me time to weigh all the options. Glad I don't have to make up my mind today.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #37  
Wesdor said:
Coobie,
Thanks for the website link. That is where I found the information about the other Exmark.

Ford 850 - The nearest Grasshopper dealer is about a 45 minute drive from here. I'm sure they are very good people, but that seems like a long way when the Deere and Exmark dealers are much closer.

You are correct, no clear choice has jumped out at me, although that Exmark HP is starting to go to the front of the line. When I started this research I was looking at $10,000 and that is a huge amount of money for me. The top of the line Exmark is still there, but the Deere is only $8200 and the HP is $7000.

Currently the big question is how much impact the 52" vs 60" deck will have. The good news is that it will fit on my trailer (54" wide) and won't scalp uneven ground as easily. The bad news is that it will take more time to mow.

One thing is certain - I won't be mowing any grass for at least a couple of months. That gives me time to weigh all the options. Glad I don't have to make up my mind today.
wesdor,I don,t know how much you are willing to spend but I bought my 2007 kubota pro 326 (diesel engine)for $10,700.coobie

That is at the very top of my price range, but the idea of diesel really speaks to me. If I can get something for that price, it might end up being orange. I hold Kubota in high regard.

My Kubota dealer is also the exmark dealer so I'll check in with him and see what is possible.

The fellow I prefer to work with is out today (at the hospital doing a routine colonoscopy ) so it will be next week before we can touch base.

Thanks for the price range.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #39  
i have had great service out of my zero turn kubota zd21 with 60 pro deck.i recently traded it in for a kubota 331 70 inch deck. bought it in december so i haven't been able to try it out yet. really like the kubota equipment.

/ Exmark vs John Deere ZTR #40  
Since you are looking for a Z-mower with a 60-inch deck, you should look at the BOB-CAT Fast Cat 61 with a 24 hp Kaw engine. I think it is better machine the both the john deer and the exmark and I think it is priced less then both the Exmark and the john deer. This unit comes with a 2-year/2000 commercial hour warranty. This machine has many great features and does great on hillsides.