JD X495 and scalping

/ JD X495 and scalping #1  

countrybob1

I have a JD X495 and I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions on how often you adjust the deck to prevent scalping.
I usually cut at a steady pace with no rushing around turns which I know can scalp the grass. In general I use the machine to mow once a week around the house which is .75 acre, I also keep the grass down in my 4.5 acre field about twice a month.
I'm thinking of doing the adjusting myself as it seems to only last about 15 hours after having been done in a service. I know there is a tool JD sells to help you adjust the deck, is it a pretty straight forward job?

Happy New Year!
Bob

/ JD X495 and scalping #2  
countrybob1 said:
I have a JD X495 and I was wondering if you could give me some suggestions on how often you adjust the deck to prevent scalping.
I usually cut at a steady pace with no rushing around turns which I know can scalp the grass. In general I use the machine to mow once a week around the house which is .75 acre, I also keep the grass down in my 4.5 acre field about twice a month.
I'm thinking of doing the adjusting myself as it seems to only last about 15 hours after having been done in a service. I know there is a tool JD sells to help you adjust the deck, is it a pretty straight forward job?

Happy New Year!
Bob

What size deck to you have?

/ JD X495 and scalping #4  
countrybob1 said:
unit40

Thanks for the reply, it is a 54" deck.

Bob

Bob,

First check tire pressure in all four tires. Must be in spec brfore leveling the deck.

Next, level the deck. Jd sells a neat plastic gauge with a long arm the reaches under the deck that makes contact with the tip of the blade. I set the cutting height of the deck and measure the right side blade tip. (Right is sitting on tractor facing forward.) You adjust the lift arms on the left hand side by turning a clevis. I adjust side-side to be within 1/8" (3mm?) to each other.

Front to back is done using the heavy yoke assembly. For me I try for a delta of 1/4 inch (8mm) front to back where the tip forward is 1/4in higher that the tip towards the back (of the same blade).

Don't forget to adjust the deck's wheels too. The owners manual for the deck has a detailed procedure for leveling the deck.

/ JD X495 and scalping #5  
STOP......Never have the front of the deck or blade higher then the back. You set your mowing height using the front of the blade, the adjust the deck so that the rear of the deck/blade is level or preferably 1/8 to a max of 1/4 inch higher then the front.

/ JD X495 and scalping
Thanks everyone for your replies, I'm off to get one of those tools.

Bob