John Deere X700 Series

/ John Deere X700 Series #1  

NYBOB

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD 3720
First, I had a lead on a used JD 455 Diesel garden tractor that fell through.

Next, I was looking at an X700 that had 11 hours on it but I lost my company and Deere's rebates so new looks better, unless I can find a good deal on a used one.

So, I have started looking at the X700 series new tractors. I have asked my dealer to quote me on the X700, X720 and X740. I will strictly be a mowing machine for my property. I have a JD 3720 for the rest of my workload.

Does the carb vs fuel injection vs diesel make a huge difference? I love my diesel 3720 but with diesel fuel selling for 70 cents more then gas in my area, is it worth the $1100 difference?

What other benefits do one model have over another.

Any price quotes would be great also.

Thanks
Bob

/ John Deere X700 Series #2  
I've looked at the John Deere 700 series and could only form one word, overpriced. For that money one could buy a heavy duty zero turn such as Kubota Z or John Deere Commercial Z Trak series, both of which will mow circles around the 700.
If you do decide on the X700, there is no better choice than the diesel. Even at fuel costing more, it will use much less, and as a mechanic at my local kubota dealer told me when I asked about lawn mower diesel or gas, "a gas with 1000 hours needs a new engine, a diesel with 1000 hours shows no wear at all".

/ John Deere X700 Series
I was told zero turns were not good on my hilly terrrain. I started looking at the X500 Series but they didn't fit my big butt as well as the X700's.

Thanks

/ John Deere X700 Series #4  
NYBOB said:
I was told zero turns were not good on my hilly terrrain. I started looking at the X500 Series but they didn't fit my big butt as well as the X700's.

Thanks

That really depends on the ZTR. I'd bet huge money that I could mow considerably steeper hills with my ZTR mowers than is possible with any of the X700's. I've mowed hills that you can't hardly stand on or walk up without using your hands to help. There again, I am not certain how the different mid-mount mowers would be on hills though. All of my ZTR mowers are front mounts where the deck is completely separate from the actual machine.

I've also compared fuel usage between the same hp gas mowers vs. diesel machines. I get just over twice the mowing time on the same amount of fuel with diesel as compared to gas. In other words, I can mow longer with the same hp mower with 4 gallons of diesel than I can with 8 gallons of gasoline. Obviously the diesel engine will cost you more up front, but it will last longer and use slightly less than half the fuel.

/ John Deere X700 Series #5  
Go with the diesel on the X700 line if you are sold on the tractor and you can't go wrong- they are REALLY nice GT's, but the last post where I stated they were a bit overpriced, my post was removed. I just found it funny that a few months after that, JD dropped the overall prices on the X700 line a bit :)

-Fordlords-

/ John Deere X700 Series #6  
If you have hills, consider the X749. If you are already in the upper X7xx price range, this one is a little more, but has 4Wheel steer plus All Wheel drive. I only have a couple of hours on it. But, so far its great! Even with the great traction, I am still working it through some areas carefully The loose pine needles create a slippery surface. I'm thinking it may be better to burn them first.

Attachments

• HEL_7547 (Medium).jpg
    HEL_7547 (Medium).jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 3,094
   / John Deere X700 Series #7  
I have a 748SE and would only consider diesel. The fuel economy and long life are worth it to me.

I mow about an acre of my tigher areas with it. I use it all winter though. I have a snow blower on a larger tractor but I like the 748 in the winter for the light snows of an inch or less. I have the hydraulic blade with a rubber edge and it does a great job on the blacktop. In 4WD it has lots of traction up the grades with no chains. My 355 2WD was a real problem on slopes.

I really love the suspension seat on the SE too. The 355 was not much fun to ride for me. I had to slow down to avoid the pain of bouncing around to hard. But that's just me, I'm older and have IBS.

/ John Deere X700 Series #8  
I was kind of in the same situation last summer. long story short I ended up with the 2305. the ROPS on the hills is a must in my opinion. the price of the x700's just made it easier to move to the 2305. and I agree diesel only at this level.

/ John Deere X700 Series
I am trying to think long term also. I may down size at some point in time and I could take the X740 with me, and being a diesel it will last a very long time.

I was also going to look at the G2160 from Kubota. Anyone have any experience with this machine?

Thanks

/ John Deere X700 Series #10  
If your thinking of downsizing and having one tractor I'd consider the 2305 since you'd have a 3PH and rear PTO.