John Deere mower tire pressure

/ John Deere mower tire pressure #1  

Shimon

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400 (gear driven)
I just got four new tires for my LX178. The manual says 10 psi for the fronts and 8 psi for the rears. Seems kind of low to me. The tires are rated at 30 psi fronts and 22 psi rears (as stamped on the tires). The tire shop that mounted them had them inflated to 20 psi (front and rear).

What's the best? Stick the JD manual? I just don't want to blow a bead off a rim at the lower pressures. Plus I weight about 230 lbs.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 5,243
   / John Deere mower tire pressure #2  
I wouldn't hesitate to run them higher. The rear turf tires on my X748 are rated at 10 psi max as stamped on the tire. I have put tubes in the rears due to blowing air out the beads.

/ John Deere mower tire pressure #3  
Stick to the manual's recommendation Shimon as the lawn tractor's don't need car like pressures to operate properly.

/ John Deere mower tire pressure #4  
mjncad said:
Stick to the manual's recommendation Shimon as the lawn tractor's don't need car like pressures to operate properly.

This is OK as long as you don't have trouble going flat due to the beads leaking. If you have trouble like I did you can try higher pressures or go to tubes. I used tubes because my tires are only rated at 10PSI. Had they been rated higher I would have use the highest rating on the tire.

/ John Deere mower tire pressure #5  
The manual's recommendation will give you the softest ride. The tires are the only "suspension" you have on a tractor (no springs or shocks). But I generally run 20 in the fronts and 15 in the rears.

/ John Deere mower tire pressure #6  
ccsial said:
This is OK as long as you don't have trouble going flat due to the beads leaking. If you have trouble like I did you can try higher pressures or go to tubes. I used tubes because my tires are only rated at 10PSI. Had they been rated higher I would have use the highest rating on the tire.

The only flats I had were from goatheads, and a bottle of Slime cured that problem.

/ John Deere mower tire pressure #7  
I agree with bontai_joe. I have an LX178 and run it with the specified air pressure. I added air in the past when I didn't have an air guage handy and noticed immediately the ride was harsh and traction on the steep ground noticeably less. I lowered it to specs and both ride and traction improved. I used to have trouble with the front tires going flat and added "slime" to all of the tires and haven't had a flat since.