AWS problem on JD 425

/ AWS problem on JD 425 #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
I've started to notice a bit of jerking with the steering in full lock either left or right, coming from the rear. Slowly been getting worse, and took the time today to look into it.

After getting it up on blocks and working the steering, it appears the inner rear wheel has a looseness to it when the steering is fully turned. This causes it to over steer. It can be either wheel....the left on left turns, the right on right turns. The opposite rear wheel will not have the same slop to it. I bought this 425 used some years back, has 708 hours on it. , and have never had to do any adjustment etc to the steering. Best I can determine, it just has slop in the linkage once it gets to a full turn. It has adjustments to all the linkage, but I cannot figure out what should be adjusted, especially since you turn the steering the opposite way and the slop moves to the other wheel.

Anyone with ideas how to fix this?

/ AWS problem on JD 425
No one with any ideas? Just mowed the yard...and made it a point to not cut real sharp because of this issue.

/ AWS problem on JD 425 #3  
This happened to me a few years ago and it was the long stearing link from front to back that was comming lose where it bolts onto a bracket on the rear left wheel.

/ AWS problem on JD 425 #4  
Did you ever determine this steering issue? I have the same problem on my 425aws. 1400 hrs. Jerks on hard turns. If anybody is awre of problem/fix, please let me know.

/ AWS problem on JD 425
No I have not. I bought new tie rods for the rear steering, since I determined the rod ends where wore quite a bit. But very disappointed that it did not correct the problem.

The above post about the long steering arm front to back....I can't see that as a problem on mine. That was solidly bolted.

I ended up taking that front to back linked out, then locked the wheeles on the rear, by bolting the whole assembly to the rear end. This disabled aws. And I don't like this, but makes it usable without the jerking.

If anyone has an answer, I need it.

/ AWS problem on JD 425 #6  
I do not know if I completly understand what your problem is:confused: If I understand your post it sounded like a linkage problem. I own a 425 AWS and I also have a tech manual.........if you can take a picture and post with the problem being exposed........maybe I can help. I have heard of people complaining of these machines "crabbing" on soft ground and once and awhile while plowing snow this may occur on a slippery surface......are you experiencing that?

/ AWS problem on JD 425 #7  
Okay, heres what i can tell you:
anytime wheels are turned fully left or right and there is a load (on the ground & medium or higher speed) the inside rear wheel jerks when turning (left wheel on left turn & right wheel on right turn)-its a very violent jerking-if your not prepared for it could buck you off machine! if you can watch the wheel it actualy moves about 2-3 inches (as if your jerking steering wheel back & forth very fast) I spoke to several dealers & they act as if they have never heard of this(hard to imagine)-one mentioned maybe u-joint(s) are bad-i jacked up rear wheels, removed, ran engine & turned & checked the joints they seem okay-problem will not happen when wheels off the ground. There must be someone out there who has had this problem. Please let me know!
Thanks! :)

/ AWS problem on JD 425 #8  
It sound like the ball joints on the top are wore out. Check both the upper and lower ball joints. They are easy to overlook when greasing the tractor.

I had a x495AWS and loved it. It was too small for loader work. The dealer is likely not misleading you on the problems, I asked around ALOT b-4 I bought the x495. I found many AWS owners, not many owners with problems.

/ AWS problem on JD 425 #9  
Wow:eek:That's wierd..........so it sounds to me that it is a driven problem not a steering problem. No signs of interference due to incorrect lengths or stops on steering linkage? I would first check the ball joints.........I will look in my tech manual and see if this problem is listed.

/ AWS problem on JD 425
That is not the problem I have. With the 425 on stands, at full left/right steer, I can move each rear wheel, not top to bottom, but left to right, the way it steers. The problem is the inside wheel have just a little slop to it. The outside wheel has a lot. OR...it might be the reverse of that, it's been awhile, since I disabled the rear steering, but believe it was the outside wheel. Reverse the direction and the problem moves to the other side.

I was sure it was the tie rods, so I crack for the money for new ones?t help very slightly, but they were not the problem. When mowing at full steer either direction, the rear of the mower wobbles, jerks around.

I actually think 85camero, if you tested yours the way I did, you would come up with the same results.