JD 165 lawn tractor - no spark

/ JD 165 lawn tractor - no spark #1  

Dave from GA & KY

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota M7060 Kioti CK35
I have an old JD 165 lawn tractor with a Kawasaki FB460v motor. It'll turn over and is getting gas, but won't fire. Any ideas where to look?

Thanks!

Dave

/ JD 165 lawn tractor - no spark #2  
try holding the spark plug wire in your mouth or hand while turning it over.. That way you know if it is getting a spark..

NOT!!!!! ;-)

Could the spark plug be fouled? Is it flooded? Choked?

good luck

Brian

/ JD 165 lawn tractor - no spark
I did pull the plug and grounded it against a bolt and turned it over and couldn't see a spark. Put a brand new plug in it.

It may, in fact, be flooded and I have tried it both choked and unchoked. When I've got the air filter off I can see gas going into the carb. But I haven't gotten as much as a backfire or anything that makes me think that it's getting spark. Just turns & turns - no sputtering or nuttin'.

It's starting to really get on my nerves :eek: :)

/ JD 165 lawn tractor - no spark #4  
Check the grond on or replace the ignitor. It's the little silver box that has one wire going in it. It on the side of the engine usually. I've seen a few of them go bad. We usually keep about 10 or so in stock. Good luck

shot_gun said:
Check the grond on or replace the ignitor. It's the little silver box that has one wire going in it. It on the side of the engine usually. I've seen a few of them go bad. We usually keep about 10 or so in stock. Good luck

OK Shot Gun. I found the ignitor and took it to the local JD shop. Guy looked it up, said he'd have to order it, would be here tuesday and cost... SIXTY-FIVE, count 'em friends, $65. *SIGH*. I screamed and nearly passed out. $65 for something smaller than a matchbook and it doesn't play songs!

I asked him if there was any way to troubleshoot the one I had in my hand to tell if it was bad. He referred me to a tech. Without a word, I showed the ignitor to the tech and he said "What, no spark?" and said 90% of the time that is the problem. Good I only paid $100 for the tractor. Tech said there's no way to troubleshoot it so I ordered one. Guess we'll see Tuesday!

Thanks for your help.

Dave

/ JD 165 lawn tractor - no spark #6  
Yes I know there not cheap but I belive that is were you'll find the problem. Newer units went away from this setup. Happy fourth and Good luck

/ JD 165 lawn tractor - no spark #7  
Dave,

If it'll make you feel any better, I just paid $95 for a new "integrated" coil & ignitor for my JD LX176. They put the ignitor in with the coil as a single unit.

For $95, you'd think they'd put the spark plug connector on the end of the coil wire. But noooooo...I had to take the old one off the old coil and put it on the new one.

/ JD 165 lawn tractor - no spark #8  
Well, you are only $165 in to this thing, so if you get it running and it works you made out pretty good :) Somebody might have scrapped an otherwise good machine over a $65 part. I have yet to run in to ANY type of ignition system that lasts forever, and am sometimes amazed by how long some of them actually do last.

-Fordlords-

Fordlords said:
Well, you are only $165 in to this thing, so if you get it running and it works you made out pretty good :) Somebody might have scrapped an otherwise good machine over a $65 part. I have yet to run in to ANY type of ignition system that lasts forever, and am sometimes amazed by how long some of them actually do last.

-Fordlords-

All you say is true Fordlords. That's really why I bought the tractor, was on craigslist for $100 and I need one to leave at my farm. When I told the JD tech I only paid $100 for it he said something like "Well then you got a deal, 'cause that little tractor will last you forever, those Kawasaki motors are strong". I have to get some new tires for it also, that's about $100 so, for about $300, I hope to have a good running little tractor to keep things trimmed up around the farmhouse where the bushhog is just to much.

Dave