Thoughts on John Deere X749

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #1  

Dude Man

Tractor
Bolens ST160
I have been debating between the x749 and a 2305. I think I am leaning to the x749 for two reasons. One is that the wife will be more comfortable on the x749, and the other is I can put a cab on it for snow blowing. I also have a lot of trees in my yard. I really don't need any tractor that big for my 1 acre yard, however I want to have shaft drive. I was wondering what everyones thoughts were. Also which would be better the turf tires or the HDAPs.
I am also looking to get rid of a 88 Bolens GT160 with a single stage blower and bagger in good shape and everything runs great. Any thoughts on what that would be worth?
Thanks

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #2  
I have some thoughts. Oh wait that must have been somebody else.:D

Both tractors are pretty close to the same size. The X749 is more manuverable with 4WS. You can put a cab on the 2305. We sell the Curtis cab but I'm sure there are others. The JD factory cab for the X749 will be a Curtis cab anyway. If you are thinking about a loader at sometime I don't think you can put a loader on the X749. If you are on an acre I assume you will be mowing most of the time so I would stick to turfs. HDAP's don't tear up as much as most people think but I've never seen them operate on a X749.

On the Bolens I haven't a clue. Figure out what you can let it go for and sell it.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #3  
the hdap tires are great for climbing hills...as far as your decision on which tractor, I'd go with the 2305 if you ever want a fel or rear implements mainly because it's cheaper...if not the x749 is the winner for manuverability and ride.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #4  
If you buy an X-series tractor, just be sure its a machine you want for years to come. There is no other machine that I can name that takes a bigger off the lot depriciation hit. I'd do some looking an x595, you can probably pickup the prior model for a bargin. Problem is that very few people want an overgrown garden tractor when you can buy a subcompact for the same (or cheaper) price.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #5  
I had a similar dilemna a few years ago...7series or 2305. At the time I was using a Craftsman GT5000. I ended up with a 2305 w/R4s, 62" MMM and a 200cx loader...I don't regret it because it can do so much more for all those little things that pop up. You may not "need" a loader, but once you have one, you will find so many uses for it. Fill the bucket with lawn debris, move sod, dirt, sand, etc. for various projects. Fill it with firewood and move it to where it's needed. Lift heavy items and load/off-load them in your vehicle...the list goes on. The loader will earn it's keep over time. I test rode the 7x series and the 2305...the ride is not so far apart...plus you get a limited 3PH for a blade or a rake...thos can be quite handy for snow, clean-up, etc. If you are considering your wife in the quation...(as I did also)...then she may find operating a little tractor quite fun vs a single function lawn mower...although the 7x is the absolute Caddilac of mowers. The 2305 loader comes on/off easily as well as the MMM. The 2305 will cost a little more and does not have 4ws or drive over deck...but heck, the 2305 cuts like a champ and the resale value on them won't depreciate as much...there's plenty of demand out there for little tractors vs Caddilac mowers.

Re: the Bolens...keep it. It's not going to fetch much, but will give you a back up mower and bagger that you can use and/or abuse until the day it dies. I kept my GT5000 and use it frequently for certain areas of my property that are tough on blades or when I feel like bagging or pulling a cart. It's worth more to keep function wise than it is in dollars. ENJOY!

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #6  
I was also torn between the X-series and a 2305. For simple mowing, the X-series is a better fit in my yard. That said, I picked up the 2305 to get the loader and 3PH ability and have loved it since. I have 5 acres, mostly wooded, and needed something that would help me clear some trees. I could have dragged them with an X-series, but the extra functionality of the 2305 is a winner. If you are only going to mow and push snow, stay with an X5xx series.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #7  
It really depends on what you want to do with the machine. We have a little over an acre of grass and my wife keeps it cut with a 425 AWS with a 54" MMM. She collects the grass with a pull behind sweeper and in the winter time she plows our drive (and sometimes the neighbor's) with the same tractor using a 54" FMP. In my opinion this mower is about the same animal as the X series. My wife is sooooo comfortable with this tractor that I haven't cut grass or plowed snow in years!:D We thought about trading it in and getting a 2305 and she drove it and there was no comparison in handling so she said no. So I bought a used CUT TLB . Now if you want to dig that is a different debate. Buy two like I did.:D

JD 770 FEL / 7 BH - 425 AWS / 54" MMM / 54" FMP

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #8  
We have a little over an acre of grass and my wife keeps it cut with a 425 AWS with a 54" MMM. [/QUOTE said:
How do you like the AWS. I am interested in the X534 model w/AWS.

/ Thoughts on John Deere X749 #10  
Dude Man said:
I am looking to get rid of my 88 Bolens GT160 with a single stage blower and bagger in good shape and everything runs great. Any thoughts on what that would be worth?
Thanks.

I'm asking $1248.00 for my 66 Bolens 850 with 38'' deck tiller and front blade.