JD GT275 Won't Start

/ JD GT275 Won't Start #1  

adawg88

I have a Kawasaki 17HP John Deere GT275. This thing has never given me a second of trouble until this weekend -- it won't start.

It has been 3 weeks since I fired it up and mowed the grass, so I went out there Saturday and it won't start. It turned over, started to start, backfired then wouldn't try to start again (although would turn over). I replaced the spark plug on a whim and it tried to start again, a small backfire and some black fumes came out, then wouldn't even try to start (although it would turn over) again.

Any idea what could be going on? I need to get this fixed before my neighbors start complaining about my grass.

Many thanks!!

/ JD GT275 Won't Start #2  
I'd try another new plug and a shot of starting fluid. Welcome to the forum. Jake

/ JD GT275 Won't Start
So for kicks I yanked the new plug to check for spark -- at least I have that going for me. I do have spark.

Last edited:
   / JD GT275 Won't Start #4  
My brother has the same mower. He has had to put a fuel pump on his for the same non starting problems. Also may just need new fuel lines. JC

/ JD GT275 Won't Start
My brother has the same mower. He has had to put a fuel pump on his for the same non starting problems. Also may just need new fuel lines. JC

So should I pull the fuel lines to check that? I am totally new to all this so I will likely ask a lot of stupid questions.

Thanks!

/ JD GT275 Won't Start #6  
How are the fuel and air filters. I have a F525 which has the same engine and one time it would not start till I replaced the fuel filter.

Chris

/ JD GT275 Won't Start
How are the fuel and air filters. I have a F525 which has the same engine and one time it would not start till I replaced the fuel filter.

Chris

The air filter looks ok. I'm curious about the fuel filter. Should that whole housing be filled with fuel or just a small (maybe 1/2") of the housing under the paper filter?

I plan to replace it either way, but I've never paid attemtion to how much fuel was typically in the filter.

/ JD GT275 Won't Start #8  
There should be no air in the fuel filter. Check your tank and lines for blockages and air leaks. Start at the tank, and work tour way to the carb. connection by connection.

/ JD GT275 Won't Start #9  
Did someone turn the fuel shut off valve to close???
:()
Any gas in the tank?

/ JD GT275 Won't Start
Did someone turn the fuel shut off valve to close???
:()
Any gas in the tank?

The gas tank is a little more than half full, but the fuel filter is most certainly not full, not even half full. Looks like I have a little more work to be done.

Where is the shut off valve on a GT275...any idea? Hopefully it is in the manual.

Thanks for the leads. I'll dig into this.