Deere Snow Blowers

/ Deere Snow Blowers #1  

Fordlords

Platinum Member
Tractor
Cub Cadet 682
I have been looking for a decent mid-sized snowblower, 5-7 HP, 26-28" width. I live in Erie, PA so It has to be something that will work. I've looked at everything used that is remotely close to where I live, and they have all been either REAL junky (ill maintained) or "like new" with "like new" prices. I just can't seem to find something that is in between. I like the older machines for their quality, but like anything old they can and will break, and I just don't like working on equipment during the dead of winter when there is 2 feet of snow on the ground and more squalls in the forecast.

So on to the new market I am. Toro looks to be the top dog for snow blowers, but they are priced out of my league for the size I need. I don't want an MTD, Sears, Huskee, or other el-cheapo either. Deere's 726E model seems to fill my bill for features and I can afford it, and although I understand it's a rebadged Briggs/Simplicity/Whatever, I would be buying it from the local dealer to have their service and support. (No box store for this boy.) This Deere unit looks like it could eat the $1050 Toro Power Throw 522 for dinner, and costs $250 less. It also looks to be very comparable to the Ariens model in its price range.

I ask those who know snow blowers... is there anything else I should consider for this size new blower in the $800 price range? Or should I just buy new boots and a bigger shovel?

-Fordlords-

/ Deere Snow Blowers #2  
I've got a Troy-Bilt 8 hp, 24 inch cut walk behind that I bought new in 1993 for getting up on my decks and clearing them off. I have changed the oil once a year and done nothing else (well, changed shear pins of course) to it in all those years. The Ariens are good rigs and some friends have had Simplicity machines that they were happy with. I like the Troy-Bilt because the differential will let the wheels turn independently if you want to turn while in gear. I had an old Craftsman that I would have to wrestle around turns with both wheels engaged and like the Troy-Bilt much better. Dyer, retired

/ Deere Snow Blowers
Thanks for the reply. My local Ariens dealer (convieniently around the corner from my house) has just about sold me on their 624E. I did look at the Troy Bilt blowers they had also, and although they rate well they are made by MTD, I'm kind of a skeptic about the way that company is managed. I didn't like their plastic dischage chutes, and they don't have the three year warranty Ariens has. According to the dealer, the Tecumseh Snow King engine the Ariens has is tops for snow blowers. Looking on internet reviews, I could not find any reviewer who rated the Ariens 624 less than perfect, so I think I've found my new friend to play around with in the snow. I'll let everyone know how it goes.

-Fordlords-

/ Deere Snow Blowers #4  
Sounds like you found the right machine for your needs. The Troy-Bilt was made by Bolens when I bought mine and no plastic on it. I think Gardenway had either just purchased Bolens/Troy-Bilt at the time, or was the process. I think you'll be happy with the Ariens. Good luck, but I hope you don't need to use it too soon. Dyer, retired

/ Deere Snow Blowers #5  
Go with the ariens they are good machines. My grandfather has one that is about 20years old and runs just as good as the neighbors new ariens bought last year, so they will hold up. cant wait for the snow. they are getting snow out on the other coast now wont be long.

/ Deere Snow Blowers
New Ariens 624 is now in the garage :) And now, as Murphy's law will have it, it won't snow all winter and my wife will nag at me for buying it LOL! (Highly unlikely in Erie, it will get some major workouts!)

This is the first Ariens product I have owned. Just initially, it seems like a very well made machine. Gerlach's Power Equipment set it up for my type of driveway, tested everything out and showed me all the controls, and I got a full tank of gas too.

-Fordlords-

/ Deere Snow Blowers #7  
New Ariens 624 is now in the garage :) And now, as Murphy's law will have it, it won't snow all winter and my wife will nag at me for buying it LOL! (Highly unlikely in Erie, it will get some major workouts!)

This is the first Ariens product I have owned. Just initially, it seems like a very well made machine. Gerlach's Power Equipment set it up for my type of driveway, tested everything out and showed me all the controls, and I got a full tank of gas too.

-Fordlords-

Congratulations! I'm hoping winter holds off for awhile, but I've already mounted the snowblower on the tractor here. I think we'll both get plenty of snowblowing time in this winter. Dyer, retired

/ Deere Snow Blowers #8  
stay away from the TRS series from about 15 years ago. they were loaded with troubles.

/ Deere Snow Blowers #9  
Aeriens and Toro!
Ariens or Toro!

Can't go wrong.

Best size/performance is 24-28" about 8 HP.

(More HP just breaks things.)

Don't knock plastic shoots, they don't rust and they dont clog with wet snow.

They are made with steel and not tin!

Bearings are bearings or (brass bushings) and not plastic.