Winterizing X740

/ Winterizing X740 #1  

NYBOB

Silver Member
Tractor
2007 JD 3720
I have an X740 I bought this year that I don't plan on using in the winter. I have a 3720 to do my snow plowing with.

It only has 16 hours on it, when I asked my dealer he recommended I change the oil and store the battery in a warm place.

I get the battery but do I really need to change the oil? It looks like new.

When I do change the oil, I am going with Amsoil like I have in my other tractor. If I am only putting 20-25 hours a year on the X740 mowing, do I need to change the oil each year? Just seems like a waste to me. Especially if we are talking about the Amsoil.

Thanks
Bob

/ Winterizing X740 #2  
I would just change it and be done with it. Your only talking about a few quarts of oil and filter. I've always been told to store things with fresh oil so that there are no contaminates corroding the engine. You might also consider fogging the motor if it's going to sit for some time. It's only a few bucks for a can of fogger. Probably only be in it 20 bucks or so. Pretty cheap in my opinion.

/ Winterizing X740 #3  
I would change the oil in it. Just becuase you arent using it doesnt mean the oil isnt breaking down over the winter. I usually change my oil in the winter before I put my mower(GX345) up. I dont worry about the filter as I do that in the spring. When I change it again. I dont take my battery out but I do put the trickle charger on it about once a month. I fill the tank with fuel and add a stablizer to it.