John Deere LX178 runs fine then quits problem

/ John Deere LX178 runs fine then quits problem #1  

KENB

Silver Member
Tractor
MAHINDRA 4110, Ford 2N
I have a John Deere LX178 with a 15HP Kohler-John Deere engine. The mower starts easy, runs and cuts grass for about 20 minutes, and then suddenly will shut off as if the key was turned off. Mower will not turn over or even try to turn over. Wait about 5 minutes and the mower will re-start easily and run again for about 15-20 minutes then shut off again. Anyone have any ideas of what can be wrong?

/ John Deere LX178 runs fine then quits problem #2  
Well, it sounds like it's related to something heating up and then cooling off...or something that is intermittent and it just appears to be heat related.

I would start with the fusible link between battery positive and the keyswitch which is located on the Interlock Module (which is a printed circuit board). See if the fusible link is bad and is making intermittent contact. Run the engine and wiggle the fusible link. Also check the components on the circuit board (which includes a 15A fuse) which may be loose or corroded. Pull the fuse out and make sure it is in fact intact and in good shape.

Also could be a faulty seat switch. Current flows through the seat switch to energize the ignition relay. You may want to check the switch for corrosion and/or bad contacts. Maybe even bypass the switch to see if the problem goes away.

If it's none of those then we get into the ignition module and ignition coils. Let me know what you find and we can take it from there. I bet it's one of the simple things listed above since those or more likely problems rather than ignition system problems.

Any idea on hours? Does the engine look rough or is it nice and clean?

/ John Deere LX178 runs fine then quits problem #3  
I have a John Deere LX178 with a 15HP Kohler-John Deere engine. The mower starts easy, runs and cuts grass for about 20 minutes, and then suddenly will shut off as if the key was turned off. Mower will not turn over or even try to turn over. Wait about 5 minutes and the mower will re-start easily and run again for about 15-20 minutes then shut off again. Anyone have any ideas of what can be wrong?

That's most definately the fuel pump...
Let me get you the part number:
John Deere Replacement Fuel Pump Assembly - AM132715

Rather pricey but that's your problem, assuming the gas filter is good, no air in gas tank, plenty of gas, no gas line leaks, and right kind of gas, also stale gas could be a problem too.

/ John Deere LX178 runs fine then quits problem #4  
If it's the fuel pump then why won't the engine even crank over for a while until the engine cools down? Sounds more like an electrical problem to me. If it was the fuel pump, you would still be able to turn the engine over...it just wouldn't fire.

And for the original poster...the engine is not a Kohler. It's a Kawasaki on the LX178.

/ John Deere LX178 runs fine then quits problem #5  
Original post 10/27/2008...... I bet he has it fixed by now........:laughing: