problems with jd x320

/ problems with jd x320 #1  

bruiserx2

Silver Member
Tractor
BX24 and JD X320
I bought a brand new x320 about a year and a half ago. The machine has been broken more then working. First off the carburetor would cut out on inclines, either up or down the inline/hill and not big inclines at all. It would load up the plugs and it would not start. Brought it back twice the second time they rebuilt the carb. Now it does not cut out but when you shut it down, every once in awhile it will backfire. Dealer tells me to shut it off at high idle, still does it from time to time. I was told it was normal (I do not believe that) Then it broke its first belt at 20 hrs and a second one at 27-30 hrs. They said it was an idler problem. Still I had to buy a belt @ $70 bucks. Now the battery is dead and does not seem to hold charge. I trickle charge it over night and by the next day it died, if I jump it and get it running it will run, but let it sit overnight and it dies.

Has anyone else had problems with their x320.

The dealer has been good, but they tell me it is out of their hands and can only continue to fix the problems as they come up. I called John Deere and they say the regional rep needs to get involved. I am told by the dealer and JD that the guy/gal hasn't returned calls or emails for over two weeks. The tractor is at the shop now. Any suggestions????

I just want out of this machine, I bought JD to be problem free.

/ problems with jd x320
I must have go the tractor built on Monday or fished on Friday afternoon.

I am surprise to see no one else has had any problems. If your out there I welcome your story.

/ problems with jd x320 #3  
Hey, sorry to hear about the problems with your JD. Just remember, there are problems with all brands, some just have more than others. It sounds like, if the dealer will back you up on this, that once the regional rep gets involved you should have a pretty good case for either a buyback or replacement. These things do happen from time to time, and with the right approach, a company with the reputation of JD should stand up and do the right thing for you. I'll share my story, though it wasn't an X320 or even a JD.

2 yrs ago I bought a new Cub Cadet GT2554 because, like you, I wanted a tough machine that should be free of MAJOR problems for close to its first decade of life. CC bragged on their shaft drive b/c there was no belt to break between the engine and transmission, and that does make sense (but a belt is easier to replace than a drive shaft if/when it breaks). The 2500 series CC enjoys a great reputation for durability and value, as you'll find by reading the CC board on here like I did. However, my honeymoon with my new CC was short lived. The first time I used it, the driveshaft broke with only 1 hr on the clock. I understand that things happen, so I didn't immediately request a new machine (though thoughts of "should've bought a Deere" did go through my head) but let warranty do its thing and it was repaired within a wk. Things went fine for a couple more wks, then I found another shortcoming of the 2500 series that I thought was pretty serious considering CC's reputation; I was aerating and was crossing a low spot in the yard and my deck hung up and I was stuck (going forward). No problem, I'll just back out, but I couldn't because the deck was flat against the bottom of the floorboard and there was nowhere for the hydro linkage to go so the pedal was jammed. The wife and I push the mower back enough to free the deck and I go on my way. For the record, this wasn't a ditch, just a low spot that crosses the yard at an angle. I tried crossing at every conceivable angle and every time I got stuck and we had to push the mower back out before I could go on. At this point I had used to mower twice and both times were full of frustration with its durability and design. I went to the dealer I bought from and asked to trade up to a 3000 series b/c the pedals are designed differently and shouldn't have had the problem I had (nor would JD or Simplicity), but his trade offer was an insult at half what I paid new (and now only had 9 hrs on) and he wanted sticker for a 3100. This could go on, but to keep it a little short, I no longer wanted a CC b/c my next closest dealer was an extra 30 miles away (total 45) and I didn't want to deal with the dealer I purchased from anymore. I wrote to CC and got the territory rep involved and less than a mo. later I had a check in hand for 85% of what I paid for my 2554 new.

I post this not to bash Cub Cadet or their 2500 series, because they do make good machines and the 2500s are still probably the best bang for the buck in a fairly heavy duty garden tractor class mower, but rather I post this to illustrate that things do happen to all brands, even major name brands. However, they will often make it right if you take the right approach and have reasonable expectations for their action. Be nice but keep the pressure on and I'm sure JD will make it right for you.

/ problems with jd x320 #4  
Bruiser, sorry to hear about your X320 problems. I purchased my 320 from the JD dealer locally. My X320 has been broken more often than it has been mowing. It has the 48" Edge deck and the powerflow bagger. My machine now has 27 hours on it and has thrown or shredded 3 belts. 2 were due to a frozen pulley. I don't know about the third one, it happened last fall and I just parked the thing in disgust. I am hauling it to the dealer AGAIN to fix it. This time I am going to a different dealer to see if we can do some trouble shooting to find out what is the root cause here instead of just putting another belt and/or pulley on it. I'm with you though, at this point I would be happy if they just bought it back!!!

FWIW: I mow 1.5 acres of flat level lawn. I mow (when the mower is running) on a regular basis, and don't let the grass get more than 3" high. The mower lives in the garage and is SERIOUSLY BABIED...Nothing dies like a Deere.

/ problems with jd x320 #5  
I am not justifying anyone having an issue with a product as expensive as these models can be, but I have never been a fan of the 300 series JD's. Unfortunately, several years ago, some nitwit at JD decided it would be a good idea to manufacture "price point" tractors to compete with other machines in that price range. The 300 series is an example of such a machine. I have heard too many people for comfort tell me that they have gotten at best marginal service from these machines, and when one looks at their construction it is not hard to see why. Many of the features and design-durability for which JD is famous does not exist on these machines. Sadly, one has to go into the 500 series tractor before starting to get some of the features commonly touted on JD machines, and they are quite a bit more expensive. To get the durability of the old 300/400 tractors, one has to then go into the 700 series, which are quite a lot larger and more expensive. The plight of many a 300 series owner is exactly why I feel JD should stick with what they do well and avoid the pitfalls of price point competition. It does not improve the breed, and I find it upsetting to hear of folks plunking down hard-earned money to buy a machine which does not give good service. They should stand by their product, though.

John M

/ problems with jd x320 #6  
There is an on going thread on another forum that goes into detail about the belt issue. The OP describes how the belt on his new x300 is very close (1/16") to a bolt and how he feels the belt is hitting it when he engages the PTO. He has it at the dealer now and apparently the regional Deere rep is now involved and trying determine a solution to the problem. The OP said he was told (by the dealer mechanic) that this problem has been occurring more and more and that it's up to the owner having the problem to bring it to the attention of the dealer.

/ problems with jd x320 #7  
Hopefully your Dealer can help solve your problem and your tractor is fixed. I have the lower end 100 Series and my twin engine and peformance of the 135LE is just great. I did get the blades sharpened and I have the mulch kit on it. I love this JD, it cuts even, fun to drive, my neighbors with the Sears are jealous, it looks great, and it's comfortable to sit on. During the winter, I start it once a month for a couple of min. just to allow it to run and keep everything happy.

In regards to quality, the 300 has a Kawasaki engine that is suppose to be great. In addition the steel frame is bigger than mine, tires are a 3ply (instead of my two ply)and overall (including the seat), the 300 series is a better tractor. In regards to features, I don't need 4 wheel drive, and more bells. Usually you put the wheel in one position and just leave it there. The 135LE at least has a lumbar support which I like. But I guess it does not matter how well built it is if it breaks down. I hope it gets repaired and gives you years of great service.

/ problems with jd x320
I received a call from the dealer on Thursday. He states that tractor is all set. They replaced the battery this time and the belt is working fine. I mentioned the carburetor issue and the fact it still backfires sometimes, he is going to look into that this coming week. According to the dealer the regional rep has not called the dealer back. He has been called 3 to 4 times and emailed. I have contacted JD and they keep putting me back to the dealer. I asked how much they would give me for a trade in. $3000 if I upgrade. I was thinking of upgrading to a JD2305 and get a TLB. I had decided that was the way to go and then the dealer gave me the price. It was not the amount it was the fact he would not move off list price. I paid list for my X320 and have had a year and a half of headache. So I started calling around. I can get A Kubota BX24 and keep the X320 and still come out ahead. I just want out. I am afraid this machine is going to be nothing but a headache and my warranty runs out in July.

/ problems with jd x320 #9  
I have an x320 with a powerflow bagger and no such problems, I mow about 1 acre of flat land around the house with lots of mature trees so i have lots of leaves to pick up and the machine performs flawlessly, so far. i only have about 16 hours on it but i got it in early september. so i do use it quite abit. this summer will be the real test with a full season of work.

/ problems with jd x320 #10  
I have an '06 X320, and have had no mechanical problems at all. Runs and mows great. The only problem I have is the vinyl on the seat cracked after the first year, dealer refused to replace it under warranty. Mow about 1 1/2 acres, Just over 150 hrs and haven't done anything but regular maintenance to it. I'm sure there are some lemons out there, as there is with any brand.