JD X500 vs X700?

/ JD X500 vs X700? #1  

lispro

Hi all,
I am looking for a first tractor for a new proprerty of about 10 acres, with 3 acres to regularly mow. The property is in great shape and I am looking for a mower (which is what I will do 98% of the time). Would there be a big time difference in mowing 3 acres with the X500 with a 54"deck and a X700 with a 62" deck? I am thinking about new as I have no experience here and like the 4 year warranty. I don't plan on many other attachments, maybe a front blade for rare plowing. I might also do some occasional brush mowing and was thinking about a tow behind trail mower. I don't think I would need/use a true CUT and of course I am trying to keep the price down. Any ideas or input or ideas what a reasonable offer would be for these options?
Thanks

/ JD X500 vs X700? #3  
You may wish to price the 2305 also. It is a sub cut and might come in at or even below the price of an X700. Though some have said it does not mow as well as the X series, I am not sure I buy that. It mows well, and can do other things. I have had an X 595 (the predecessor to the 700's) and a 335 (the predecessor to the 500's) and can say without a doubt the 500 is likely not enough machine to mow your volume forever. They are nice and can mow three acres, but the difference in speed and efficiency and comfort between them and the 700 series is quite large. The 595 I had was quite the machine and mowed great. It was durable and very solidly made. I would go either with that or with a 2305, at a minimum

John M

/ JD X500 vs X700? #5  
Hi all,
I am looking for a first tractor for a new proprerty of about 10 acres, with 3 acres to regularly mow. The property is in great shape and I am looking for a mower (which is what I will do 98% of the time). Would there be a big time difference in mowing 3 acres with the X500 with a 54"deck and a X700 with a 62" deck? I am thinking about new as I have no experience here and like the 4 year warranty. I don't plan on many other attachments, maybe a front blade for rare plowing.
I might also do some occasional brush mowing and was thinking about a tow behind trail mower. I don't think I would need/use a true CUT and
of course I am trying to keep the price down. Any ideas or input or ideas what a reasonable offer would be for these options?
Thanks
The JD x 500 and x 700 garden tractors are not enough tractor for 13 acres.
You need at least a 60'' MMM which means you would have to go with the more expensive X700 series.
The 60'' mower is quicker than a 54'' but the big plus for the 60 '' is it allows for closer mowing next to objects thus reducing time with the back breaking string trimmer.
You need a brush hog for that rather than a trail behind mower.
I'm not sure but I don't think a JD x700 will handle a brush hog so you see you do need a sub compact or a compact.
Going with a JD x700 is certainly not the way to do that.
I would not limit my options to JD and possibily miss out on a better solution that may be offered by Kubota or MF.
A new Kubota BX1850 or BX1860 would be a tuff nut to crack in your situation.
So would a used Kubota BX1500 or BX1830
I bought 2 Kubota BX1500 Sub Compacts for about the same money as 1 JDx700 a year ago last November.
They came with 2 Mid Mount Mowers. a 48'' tiller and a 60'' front blade.

/ JD X500 vs X700? #6  
Time out. You cannot buy a 2305 for less than an X700. It might be cheaper than the loaded up X748 with diesel and 4 wheel drive, but not less than an X700. The original poster wants to mow grass and wants a warranty - keep that in mind.

For that volume of grass, I would suggest an X720 with a 62" deck. Moving up to the X720 gets you fuel injection, a few more ponies, and a suspension seat. The key there is the seat. You would be suprised how much faster you can mow when you have a suspension seat. My father in law has a 445 with the nice seat. My dad has an X700 with the basic seat. Both are super nice tractors, but for wide open mowing I'll take the 445 seat any day.

A 2305 is a nice machine, but its a big step in price. You also get a basic seat. For me, my back would be killing me after two hours of mowing on one.

/ JD X500 vs X700? #7  
Hey Lispro Mr. Brown is right, don't get me wrong I like John Deere and almost purchased a X749 with a 62" MMM = 14,995.00 ( no trade allowance) and came to my senses when I looked at KCC rates and the biggest bang for the buck.

I traded in a T1670-44 and an old G2160 bagger for a GR2110-54 ( just to show people I could afford one in my application) and Z326P-60 with nothing down and only borrowed 10,000 From KCC.

The GR will do what the all wheel drive 749 will for mowing chores on banks using exact size small decks apples to apples ( won't for gardening ) and the ZD is a beast with that P 60" deck. In one year later only owe 7,500 for two brand new mowers. Heres hoping you choose wisely. Kubota is about to release a new Tuff Pro ( improved B7000 series for mowing) so go figure before you lay the cash down....

/ JD X500 vs X700? #8  
Time out. You cannot buy a 2305 for less than an X700. It might be cheaper than the loaded up X748 with diesel and 4 wheel drive, but not less than an X700. The original poster wants to mow grass and wants a warranty - keep that in mind.

For that volume of grass, I would suggest an X720 with a 62" deck. Moving up to the X720 gets you fuel injection, a few more ponies, and a suspension seat. The key there is the seat. You would be suprised how much faster you can mow when you have a suspension seat. My father in law has a 445 with the nice seat. My dad has an X700 with the basic seat. Both are super nice tractors, but for wide open mowing I'll take the 445 seat any day.

A 2305 is a nice machine, but its a big step in price. You also get a basic seat. For me, my back would be killing me after two hours of mowing on one.

I agree with the above post, the X720 is a nice mower. Should work well to cut 3 acres. Just bear in mind you need to be sure you are not going to be addicted to tractors in any way because trading up can be expensive.

Steve

/ JD X500 vs X700? #9  
My neighbor just bought an x700 and I was really surprised how small it is relative to my 790 for not that much difference in money. He uses it to push snow and I think it is fine for that but I can do a lot more with mine.

/ JD X500 vs X700? #10  
Time out. You cannot buy a 2305 for less than an X700. It might be cheaper than the loaded up X748 with diesel and 4 wheel drive,
1*but not less than an X700.
2**The original poster wants to mow grass and wants a warranty - keep that in mind.
1*He also said he had another 7 acres that he may want to brush cut on occasion and was thinking about a pull behind finish mower for that.
Finish mowers aren't made for brush cutting and that kind of use will tear them up so he needs a brush hog for that.
As i stated before I don't think a JD x700 has an option for a brush hog.
The JD x 700 Garden Tractor just is not enough tractor to handle brush hogging 7 acres .
2*The New tractors I recommended have a warranty and will handle both the 3 acres and the 7 acres.

I agree with the above post, the X720 is a nice mower. 1*Should work well to cut 3 acres.
2*Just bear in mind you need to be sure you are not going to be addicted to tractors in any way because trading up can be expensive.Steve

1*For just mowing the 3 acres yes but for the 7 acres no.
2*With another 7 acres that is exactly what will probably happen if he goes with an x700.

My neighbor just bought an x700 and I was really surprised how small it is relative to my 790 for not that much difference in money.
He uses it to push snow and I think it is fine for that but *I can do a lot more with mine.
Yep a whole bunch more.