JD 445 problem and questions

/ JD 445 problem and questions #1  

mred

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 2305, JD318
I you have the time I could use some help with some decision making. Here is some background and the questions. Approximately 8 years ago I purchased a John Deer 445 for my father. He is currently 85 years old. (Green was the only way to go as we have had a B from the 1940's a 318 etc) This tractor has 450 hours on it and is used for mowing approximately ス an acre and clearing snow from his 30 foot double wide drive way. This weekend he told me he found water in the oil when doing the spring oil change. I was shocked. This machine is serviced frequently, kept in a garrage and treated like a baby. First question has anyone seen this or heard of this with the 445 ? My second problem is the dealer we purchased it from, the dealer we have been getting parts from for our tractors for the last 30-40 years, was a small shop and is no longer able to sell John Deer. Am I better off going to a large dealer or small dealer with a machine that was not purchased there? It is spring time and I am sure they are all busy. I don稚 think it wise to go to a non John Deer dealer with a problem like this do you ? Thank you for taking the time to read this.

/ JD 445 problem and questions #2  
First question has anyone seen this or heard of this with the 445 ?

I can't say I've seen alot or any anitfreeze in the oil. I have see condensation in the oil from not beeing run often or hard enough to get the oil warmed up to operation tempature. If you remove the oil fill cap you will usually see white sludge on the underside of the cap. If that is what you have change the oil and filter, run it for a coupel hours and check the cap again to see if any more accumlates un the cap. If it does you will have to change it again to get it out of there.

On your dealer question... I wouldn't take it to any one but a reputable JD dealer because of the special tools you may need to diagnose problems with that particular machine. I would ask around about the dealer your looking into and see what kind of reputation they have. Not all big dealer are bad. I would just do a little home work first. Hope that helps.

/ JD 445 problem and questions
Thanks for your response. Further investigation has shown that the oil was not thinned by water but by gas. Oil smells like gas. Oh well looks like a rebuild or replacement.

/ JD 445 problem and questions #4  
Gas..... Might you just have a problem with the fuel injection? I have 315 hours on my 445 and it runs like new. I would think that 450 hours is nothing on that engine if it has been well maintained.

How do the spark plugs look?

Does it sit and idle for long periods?

/ JD 445 problem and questions #5  
Thanks for your response. Further investigation has shown that the oil was not thinned by water but by gas. Oil smells like gas. Oh well looks like a rebuild or replacement.

Yup... that's BAD! (I'll call ahead.. and you can leave it parked outside by the driveway.) :)

Just kidding... But it's really not good to have the crankcase fill up with gas and dilute the oil. It can cause excessive wear and that's not what you want to have going on with your engine!

But, it doesn't sound like it's been worked that way for months.

You need to troubleshoot the fuel injection system and/or the fuel pump - IMO.

Best of luck.

AKfish

/ JD 445 problem and questions #6  
Another problem that can lead to fuel in the oil
would be a misifiring cylinder. If one side of the
engine is not firing, that fuel can just run down the
cylinder walls into the engine.
Verify spark and combustion in both cylinders
and go from there. could be as easy as a bad spark
plug or coil.

once that problems is resolved, an oil change should
be all that's needed.