X300...Won't start....Heeellllllllp

/ X300...Won't start....Heeellllllllp #11  
I didn't realize this was covered by warranty. I wouldn't go any further than what you did or they will find a way not to cover it. Hard to believe that your coil/module would be bad. Are you sure there is no spark? There is also a oil pressure switch on that engine. You maybe able to disconnect it & see if you get spark.
I can't imagine a 1 yr old tractor with only 10 hrs on it not having a warranty on it.:)

/ X300...Won't start....Heeellllllllp #12  
Welp, I played aoround with it last night, and there is no spark. I tried starting it with the E-brake set, and also tried it by sitting on the seat and holding the brake pedal down. Frustrating!

Go to you local JD dealer and ask for the control module. It is held by one 6 mm bolt(10mm wrench) under the dash. It is a black box that controls the spark ,saftey circuits ect. It has gone bad. It is very simple to replace. Unplug the harness and and unscrew the one bolt and take it to them. Make sure you bring your hour meter reading so they can process the warranty for you. Most dealers will have this in stock. they can check it with a machine that runs at the dealership. i'm sure they will be very happy you took the inititive to check into the problem. Good Luck!

/ X300...Won't start....Heeellllllllp #13  
Shot gun sounds like he has the solution. I did have an older JD tractor the the board went out on also. The new board was beefed up a bit, capacitors/diodes or whatever. So they must have been having problems with the old ones. This was way past warranty so customer had to pay. To make matters worse, the owner told me he thought it was the coil & purchased one and told me to change it. I told him, who said it was the coil but he insisted. Well, needless to say, dealer wouldn't take it back. I even said I didn't install it but they won't take back electrical items. I believe it was in the neighborhood of 90.00! Thinking back, after the tractor ran awhile, the circuit to the fuel solenoid would fail, shutting off the fuel. This wasn't a spark issue but that may be another module/circuit board. Although shot gun says "they will be very happy you took the inititive to check into the problem." I would call them first & tell them what you suspect & can you bring the module in for them to check. Some places will look for any reason to void the warranty. Not all sales people are like shot gun.

/ X300...Won't start....Heeellllllllp
You guys are awesome. I called the dealer and told them I have no spark and I suggested "the module' might be bad. He said that was almost definately the problem. He said it would be ok to bring just the module in and they'll hand me a new one. Said he'd have to order it though and it would take a couple of days. Thanks a million, and I'll report back when I get it running.

Dan

This is sure getting interesting. I'm posting all of this so that the next person that has a problem will have our experience.

At lunchtime I went to a local dealer (not where I bought the machine). I brought the module and the tractor serial number. He looked it up, and said that I already had the re-designed module, but gave me a new one (under wtty) anyway.

He said with the old style module, the machine would "usually" not turn-over. Although he'd seen a couple where it did turn-over, but wouldn't start. He also said that anyone with the old style module should have been contacted by JD, and the dealer should have gone out and replaced the module.

So tomorrow, I'll install the new module and see if it starts. Another interesting note, the dealer asked that I call him tomorrow to let him know if the replacement module takes care of the problem.

This morning I installed the new module, and it started right up :)

So it would seem that even the new (design) module might be prone to failing.

Oh well. Big thanks to you folks and to Larry at Powder Mill Sports in Maynard, MA

ARRRRRRG......Now it won't start again....no spark. Something must be blowing "the module". A short? The dealer has it now.

/ X300...Won't start....Heeellllllllp #18  
That sucks! Sorry to here that. Keep us posted. I'm interested to see what they find. Hang in there I'm sure they'll get it figured out.

Welp I got the X300 back from the dealer today. They replaced the ECU....again. There's mention on the work order of "dtac solution number 76248.

It's good to have her home again :D

/ X300...Won't start....Heeellllllllp #20  
Welp I got the X300 back from the dealer today. They replaced the ECU....again. There's mention on the work order of "dtac solution number 76248.

It's good to have her home again :D

Thanks for your help!