New X324 / X500 from dealer, or Used X534 / X540???

/ New X324 / X500 from dealer, or Used X534 / X540??? #1  

WalterK

:confused:
First of all - great, but dangerous forum. I haven't received any responses to this on the JD forum, so I figure I'll try this more general forum, as it applies to new vs used purchasing. Thanks to all for adding to my increasing insanity and indecision due to information overload. I've spretty much settled on a JD, despite all the various recommendations - I've got a decent but very small dealer nearby for service, and I think that, more than anything else, seals the deal for me on JD.

I started this thread asking about the X300 series, but due to everyone's input, I think I've worked my way up to the X500 series (although the X324 isn't entirely eliminated from consideration, mainly due to cost and manueverability consideration).
Short recap: My yard (1.75 acres) is a combination of relatively flat area with several hills. My Scotts 2046 regularly scalped the hills and cut lines in the inclines. There are lots of evergreen trees (those blue spruces do a number on both me and on the tractor)that drop pine cones and short needles everywhere, and I do use the tractor to pick up leaves, which I bag and put into compost bins. I'd love to be able to mulch, but I can't cut often enough to avoid clumping. I'm not a big fan of the Power Flow bagger, but if I'm looking at a 48" minimum deck, it's either that or something like a Cyclone Rake. Given my past experiences, what's important to me, in no particular order, are:
1. Quality of cut - I've heard a number of people complain about the X534 leaving ridges/lines, as the deck leans when turning. Anyone have any insights or experience with this that would make me shy away from AWS? I've heard the X500 steers VERY easily, even without the X540's power steering, so I think either of the 2WS tractors would be ok on that count.
2. Mulching capability / convenience - I assume no real difference between the models.
3. Quality / Durability of Transmission - (yeah, I know...there's always the X700 series...and don't try to talk me into a 2305 unless you've got a place for me to sleep, as my wife will kick me out!!) I do occasionally pull a dethatcher or plug aerator (likely part of the cause of my recent K51 trans burnout), so decent torque and adequate HP is important.
4. Agility - Can't quite figure out why the X534 is rated with a LARGER turning radius (27") than the other X500 series non AWS (22"), although the uncut grass spot is smaller. The dealer didn't know. Might have something to do with how they calculate it?

So the deal is this: I'm absolutely stretching/breaking my budget to move up from the X324 I was originally looking at to the X500 - trying to avoid that buyer's remorse everyone's warning about ("buy more than you think you need today"). The benefit to buying local? Ability to trade back in within 30 days if not happy, service, full warranty (with ability to extend years for extra $), etc. My local dealer has a $500-off sale, including the X500, that runs through end of tomorrow. I don't know how often they run these, and if they'll just roll out another "special deal" afterward or not...

I've looked through Deere's Machine Finder, and have located a number of low-use (under 150 hours, some under 100), 2007 and later X534s and X540s that I could buy for roughly the same price as I'd pay for an X324 or X500 locally. I've decided to not look at older models, so that I can at least get the some remaining transferable warranty life. The cost of shipping roughly equates to what I'd pay for state tax, so that's essentially a wash. Since they're relatively recent units, they still have anywhere from 2 to 3 years on their warranties.

Anyone with experience with any of these 3 tractors (or any others who obviously know more than I do about JD and tractors in general) - the X500 (new or used), or a used X534 or X540? - what do you think? Your feedback and advise would be GREATLY appreciated!

/ New X324 / X500 from dealer, or Used X534 / X540??? #2  
@WalterK...

OK! Two years later someone responds! I just bought a JD x534. It has yet to be delivered. I can't say much about that model yet, but I can share my thoughts about buying home tractors!

I have a GT-225, which is the absolute smallest Garden Tractor made by JD in 1998 (TractorData.com John Deere GT225 tractor information). When I bought it, I was mowing 3 acres of old dairy farm land (centuries of "natural" fertilization). I got the 48" deck, which was six inches wider than anything I had bought before. Those covers over the outside spindles have been a bi7@h to clean, but I bought another one. I do not intend to do any modifications.

At the beginning of that year, I bought a Scotts mower from Home Depot, which literally fell apart within a month. HD gave me a Poulan loaner while they tried to "fix" it. Needless to say, I barely kept up with the mowing thru July. Thank God for VTs short growing season!

When I bought the GT, I learned what a real tractor was like. Unfortunately, I also learned what it was like to watch my neighbors finish hours ahead of me with their 300's and 600's. The GT-225 did well, and stood up, but the bigger models do more for ya.

The rule of thumb is stretch your budget. Buy the most tractor you can, especially if it is a JD, or Toro/Wheelhorse type. (MTD, not so much) My 13 year old JD is selling for $1500 at dealerships across the country, so... That is why I am going for the x534.

IMHO, mulching is done just as well leaving the clippings on top of the grass. Even with our current "neighborhood" yard, we can't get out enough to keep from clumping. The "mulch" that gathers under the deck is bad enough without an add-on to gather more. On the other hand, they sell it, so some folks think its working!

My GT turns like a tank. Which is to say, it does well on flat dry ground, but (Mother) earth is unpredictable. Also, this one turns way sharper right than left. They tell me this is not normal, but I have not investigated why, nor do I intend to. There are a few spots in my neighborhood yard where I have to use my vehicle navigation skills. I am hoping the locking diff' will offer a solution.

Any vehicle will lean in a turn. The sharper the turn, the more the lean. The same goes for smoother rides. My scalp wheels have alway spun when I mow. The answer there is to drop your scalp wheels. Better to float the linkage, IMHO. That's what the draft bars are for.

When I bought it, they told me to watch the level and color of the tranny fluid. I guess they have fixed that issue on the newer models. I have not babied that tractor at all. It still has the original fluid, and it still goes faster than I am comfortable mowing.

Anyhow, I trust you have made your decision by now, and have way more experience than I on the newer models. Good Luck!

/ New X324 / X500 from dealer, or Used X534 / X540??? #3  
Don't you think the thread starter has bought a mower all ready?
Two years later, really:laughing:

/ New X324 / X500 from dealer, or Used X534 / X540??? #4  
Ayup!

Only about 11 years younger than the tractor I wrote about!

/ New X324 / X500 from dealer, or Used X534 / X540??? #5  
Can't give you any advice on those models. I have a GX345 myself, and still to this day, believe it's the best money I have ever spent. My question to you is, what is the name of the John Deere forum that you spoke about? And where is this " machine finder " that you also mentioned?

Hope everything works out in your favor with this new purchase. Take your time and enjoy it, the tractors aren,t going anywhere, and in this economy, your sure to see plenty of sales to come.

/ New X324 / X500 from dealer, or Used X534 / X540??? #6  
:confused:
First of all - great, but dangerous forum. I haven't received any responses to this on the JD forum, so I figure I'll try this more general forum, as it applies to new vs used purchasing. Thanks to all for adding to my increasing insanity and indecision due to information overload. I've spretty much settled on a JD, despite all the various recommendations - I've got a decent but very small dealer nearby for service, and I think that, more than anything else, seals the deal for me on JD.

I started this thread asking about the X300 series, but due to everyone's input, I think I've worked my way up to the X500 series (although the X324 isn't entirely eliminated from consideration, mainly due to cost and manueverability consideration).
Short recap: My yard (1.75 acres) is a combination of relatively flat area with several hills. My Scotts 2046 regularly scalped the hills and cut lines in the inclines. There are lots of evergreen trees (those blue spruces do a number on both me and on the tractor)that drop pine cones and short needles everywhere, and I do use the tractor to pick up leaves, which I bag and put into compost bins. I'd love to be able to mulch, but I can't cut often enough to avoid clumping. I'm not a big fan of the Power Flow bagger, but if I'm looking at a 48" minimum deck, it's either that or something like a Cyclone Rake. Given my past experiences, what's important to me, in no particular order, are:
1. Quality of cut - I've heard a number of people complain about the X534 leaving ridges/lines, as the deck leans when turning. Anyone have any insights or experience with this that would make me shy away from AWS? I've heard the X500 steers VERY easily, even without the X540's power steering, so I think either of the 2WS tractors would be ok on that count.
2. Mulching capability / convenience - I assume no real difference between the models.
3. Quality / Durability of Transmission - (yeah, I know...there's always the X700 series...and don't try to talk me into a 2305 unless you've got a place for me to sleep, as my wife will kick me out!!) I do occasionally pull a dethatcher or plug aerator (likely part of the cause of my recent K51 trans burnout), so decent torque and adequate HP is important.
4. Agility - Can't quite figure out why the X534 is rated with a LARGER turning radius (27") than the other X500 series non AWS (22"), although the uncut grass spot is smaller. The dealer didn't know. Might have something to do with how they calculate it?

So the deal is this: I'm absolutely stretching/breaking my budget to move up from the X324 I was originally looking at to the X500 - trying to avoid that buyer's remorse everyone's warning about ("buy more than you think you need today"). The benefit to buying local? Ability to trade back in within 30 days if not happy, service, full warranty (with ability to extend years for extra $), etc. My local dealer has a $500-off sale, including the X500, that runs through end of tomorrow. I don't know how often they run these, and if they'll just roll out another "special deal" afterward or not...

I've looked through Deere's Machine Finder, and have located a number of low-use (under 150 hours, some under 100), 2007 and later X534s and X540s that I could buy for roughly the same price as I'd pay for an X324 or X500 locally. I've decided to not look at older models, so that I can at least get the some remaining transferable warranty life. The cost of shipping roughly equates to what I'd pay for state tax, so that's essentially a wash. Since they're relatively recent units, they still have anywhere from 2 to 3 years on their warranties.

Anyone with experience with any of these 3 tractors (or any others who obviously know more than I do about JD and tractors in general) - the X500 (new or used), or a used X534 or X540? - what do you think? Your feedback and advise would be GREATLY appreciated!

Wow! If you ever see this reply.....I'd love to know what you got and how it is working out!

I had an X500, steered very easy...nice machine! :eek: