John Deere LX176 Drive Belt help ( plus it wont start )

/ John Deere LX176 Drive Belt help ( plus it wont start ) #1  

Spiritandtruth

Hello,

I have a JD LX176 Lawn Tractor that I bought for $700 maybe 2 years ago and it was close to being like new. I used it at first and the belt on the deck snapped.

I didn't replace the belt real fast because I already own a big Gravely I just bought the LX-176 because it seemed like a great deal and I figured it would help cut our few acres that much faster. Finally I replaced it but it was at the end of the season. Then next time I used it the very top drive belt snapped on it and then I just let it sit the entire season last year. I was too busy to mess with it again.

Well I finally pulled it out last week to try and fix this belt and there are two problems.

1. It wont start. I guess from sitting so long. I poured gas in the carb and it would start and gas is getting through the fuel line when I pull it off but it just will not start unless I pour gas into the carb so any suggestions on the solution there would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't get all of the old gas out of the tank but I did try to drain some of it with a little siphoning thing I have.

2. The drive belt is way up in there and it appears that you have to tear the entire top of the tractor off to get that belt replaced. Surely, that's not true.

But when I looked, wow, it is way up in there and is the very top belt of the three on the tractor. It runs from the front top pulley all the way to some plastic fan looking pulley into the back. The dealership printed out a diagram of how it goes but it doesn't tell how to get it on.

To me it looks like if I try to do it from underneath I might have to remove the deck, then the other drive belt but for the life of me it doesn't look like I can get that belt on by going from underneath even if I do that.

Do I take off the top of the tractor underneath the seat or something?

Any help on that is greatly appreciated too. I'd love nothing more than to avoid having to pay those high John Deere prices for help with those two problems.

I'll be eagerly awaiting a reply as I don't want to allow that nice riding mower to sit another year. With my wife and I both cutting or my son and I cutting we can knock out the grass in no time.

/ John Deere LX176 Drive Belt help ( plus it wont start ) #2  
I have a JD L130 I don't know if the drive belt mounts the same as yours does, but I just changed my drive belt and plastic fan today (the belt jumped off and chewed up the plastic fan). It was a pain to change! Mine has to be changed from the bottom. I took the deck out from under it and also one of the rear wheel off of it. That makes things a lot easier to get to. Mine has a bracket over top of the fan that had to come off. I also took the two idler pulleys off because of guards around them. There was also a guard around the pulley on the crankshaft that had to come off. And mine has an electric PTO on it so I had to unplug it and take off the bracket holding it. Oh yeh, I also had to take the gear off of the bottom of the steering shaft and pull the shaft up a little because it goes right down between the belt. It sounds like a lot to do just to change a belt. Maybe there is a short cut but that's the way I did it! It took me an hour or so to do it. Hope this helps!

/ John Deere LX176 Drive Belt help ( plus it wont start ) #3  
From my memory (or lack there of) you need to remove the deck, pto clutch, and loosen one of the two tensioner pulleys or remove the belt guide on them. I think you need to remove the tension spring(s) for the traction drive. Make sure you take off the parking brake to release tension on them. Jack up the front end to give yourself some clearance under there. Pray that the clutch comes off easy and check the belt routing to make sure it's not rubbing. The steering drag link may have to come off at the steering pitman arm on the gearbox. Thats about what I can remember. The hardest part is getting the pto clutch off. Hopefully you won't have too. I would check to make sure before you try to remove it. It can be a bear.

On the gas problem...drain all the fuel, I would clean the carb and fill with fresh fuel. Even if it starts with dumping the fuel in it the bowl probably has some nasty stuff in there. Repalce the fuel filter also PN# AM116304. Blow out the lines first before hooking everything back up. NOTE: Disconect the line from the fuel pump and carb before you blow them out! You will purchasing a new fuel pump if you don't. Good Luck

Last edited:
   / John Deere LX176 Drive Belt help ( plus it wont start ) #4  
I have a JD L130 I don't know if the drive belt mounts the same as yours does, but I just changed my drive belt and plastic fan today (the belt jumped off and chewed up the plastic fan). It was a pain to change! Mine has to be changed from the bottom. I took the deck out from under it and also one of the rear wheel off of it. That makes things a lot easier to get to. Mine has a bracket over top of the fan that had to come off. I also took the two idler pulleys off because of guards around them. There was also a guard around the pulley on the crankshaft that had to come off. And mine has an electric PTO on it so I had to unplug it and take off the bracket holding it. Oh yeh, I also had to take the gear off of the bottom of the steering shaft and pull the shaft up a little because it goes right down between the belt. It sounds like a lot to do just to change a belt. Maybe there is a short cut but that's the way I did it! It took me an hour or so to do it. Hope this helps!
well it sure helped me cuz. i got all the way to the steering shaft issue on my 130 the other day and have been trying to figure it out since. wasn't sure if i could remove the steering gear at the bottom and if the shaft would just move up or what. gonna remove the nut and hope the gear will come off without using a puller or something, and that i am able to push the steering shaft up enough to clear the belt. thanks again