Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279 #1  

rayikeo2

Platinum Member
I have a lawntractor LX279 water cooled Kawasaki engine. Fuel pump started leaking. I bought a new one at John Deere and installed it. Mower started right up and ran about 1 minute then acted like it was starved for fuel and died. Is there a trick to these pump changes? Does it need to reprime itself? It acts like new pump is not working. Can anyone help me?

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279 #2  
Is there a fuel filter?? Could it be plugged?

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279
I put a new fuel filter on it last week. I don't think I changed the intake and output hoses in reverse order. They look like they only fit one way. Do you hace to greese or oil the lever the push rod opperates? I must have missed something or I bought a faulty pump. I figure it is opperature (my) error. It seemed to run fine until the fuel in the float ran out.

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279
OK, I replaced the fuel pump and since I failed to note which gas line is the inlet from tank on the pump and which is the output on the pump goes to the carb I need some help to hook up the lines. This is a Kawaski water cooled engine on a John Deere LX279 mower. Anybody know or if you have the same mower can you check yours and let me know.

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279 #5  
Need instructions to change fuel pump on lx279

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279 #6  
Need instructions to change fuel pump on lx279

What I did when my fuel pump failed was replace it with a small inline electric fuel pump. Wired to the ignition power I can turn on the ignition for a few seconds and then bump the starter and it always fires right up. Mower has started perfectly for the last three years since doing this modification.

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279 #7  
Try reversing the hoses. I recommend removing the carb hose to check for fuel flow. If that does not work, then check the pump mounting. Is the heat insulator installed on the new pump? It may have come off with the old pump. If not in place, it will cause the pushrod to push the pump lever beyond it's normal travel. That could damage the new pump.

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279 #8  
Try reversing the hoses. I recommend removing the carb hose to check for fuel flow. If that does not work, then check the pump mounting. Is the heat insulator installed on the new pump? It may have come off with the old pump. If not in place, it will cause the pushrod to push the pump lever beyond it's normal travel. That could damage the new pump.

The early post you are responding to is over three years old, just a heads up.

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279 #9  
The early post you are responding to is over three years old, just a heads up.

I see that now! :0P The post was brought back up by Tommy. If he is looking, perhaps I have helped him. The fuel pump is probably the same on his LX279.

/ Need instructions to replace fuel pump LX279 #10  
Thanks for your answerbut I didn't know if there was a priming had to be done or anything special that had to be done to change the pump as in certain stroke the motor had to be turned to.