New to me (JD 318)

/ New to me (JD 318) #1  

Altiman94

Tractor
John Deere 318
Just Picked up a 1987 318 John Deere. Has the 50" deck, but that's it for attachments.

It has 300 hrs on a rebuilt Onan and fresh JD Green Paint. I paid $1800 for it. How'd I do?

Thinking about adding a rear PTO, FEL, and a 3 PT. Basically want to make this into a small utility tractor for use around the farm here. Any tips or places I can find these things cheap?

/ New to me (JD 318) #2  
Here's a good one. This place has mini, low lift, FEL. Also, they have sleeve hitches. Sleeve hitches aren't available with PTO, but have more suited attachments and are cheaper hitches and attachments. I would look into it.

http://johnnyproducts.com/

By the way, nice purchase.:)

Kyle

/ New to me (JD 318) #3  
Not bad, 318s are the benchmark for JD garden tractors. I had one a few years ago, the steering was pretty loose after awhile.

/ New to me (JD 318) #4  
Not bad, 318s are the benchmark for JD garden tractors. I had one a few years ago, the steering was pretty loose after awhile.
My next door neighbor has a 316 he bought new in 1984.
The 316 and 318 are the same except for PS and PTO.

/ New to me (JD 318)
There's a few more differences than that between a 318 and 316. In fact, a rear PTO is not standard on a 318.

/ New to me (JD 318) #6  
that 318 seems to be a good find and a good price, as in my area i see the 300 series tractors go for at least 1800 or better. the 300 series are probably one of the best garden tractors out there everyone in my family has owned at least one or more of them, i currently have an 89 316 w/ a 46in deck i use it just for mowing and tow a leaf vac w/ it in the fall its got about 850 hrs on it, i got it used for about $1475 in 2005. our local jd dealer stocks parts for them and its never an issue getting parts if they're not in stock. a good thing to check is the hose in the rear w/ the sight glass for your hydro level, that hose seems to get brittle and crack after a few years of use w/ the warm hydro fluid going through it. if you add a 3pt hitch and possibly a tiller i would consider getting the wheel weights for the rear just to give you some more traction, and possibly get something other than the turfs, they can be a bit slick sometimes. good luck, that tractor should last for years.

/ New to me (JD 318) #8