GT235 How many more hours will I Get?

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get? #1  

AcadianWind

Hi guys,

I have a 2002 JD GT235 that just turned 2000 hours. How many more hours can I expect? When will I know that my tractor has did it's last turn?

Let's see some of the comments I get with this starting paragraph.

MIke

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get? #2  
Mfg's generally rate air cooled twin's at 2000 hrs life expectancy with proper fluid and filter changes. I've seen kohlers and onans still going with 4000 hrs. and I've seen them shot with less than 1000. There are a lot of what if's. What if it got low on oil and got hot at some point in it's life. What if it was made on a friday. If it was a car I'd say your at the 150,000 mile mark.

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get? #3  
If it were me I would say it is trade up time, before something breaks.

If you are happy with it you could put another engine in it when needed and keep going but I don't reccomend it from a standpoint of overall wear and tear.

Steve

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get? #4  
The problem is you won't know when the life is over until it is too late. If it is your primary mower I would look at a upgrade. If it breaks you will get no trade value and your grass will be very long b-4 it gets fixed.

The ideal situation would be have the cash for a new one and drive this one until it dies. Then you could tell us what the life expectanty could be!!

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get? #5  
I have a 1999 GT235 without an hour meter. I've been replacing a lot of warn out parts lately. Mine has the B&S engine...I'm guessing it's got a year or two left on it at best. I just realized it still has the original spark plugs!

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get? #6  
I have 2004 gt235 which I bought brand new, now has 247hrs. Use it to mow 5.5 acres this little garden tractor has been bullet proof.All Ive done is routine mateinance.I know owner of local JD dealer and they will give me $3000 trade in value for it and I DONT WANT 2 BUY something brand new and begin to have problems.With 2000 plus hours I would be looking to trade in or sell I would not purchase new motor for garden tractor (GT) that old unless I found a tremendous deal.

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get?
Thanks guys for all the replies.

I guess I will keep her going until the engine or trany goes on her. Then look around for another one, so I will have the old one for parts.

The gt 235 is the toughest machine I have ever seen.. I used this thing hard and never babied her.

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get? #8  
Now its like a science project, see how far it will go!!!!!! :D

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get?
I just got my repair bill for the last time I had the GT235 in the shop. Dealer charged me $65.00 per hour for the work performed. What is the rates at the other dealers around?

/ GT235 How many more hours will I Get? #10  
I just got my repair bill for the last time I had the GT235 in the shop. Dealer charged me $65.00 per hour for the work performed. What is the rates at the other dealers around?

That seems to be a fair going rate anymore.