John Deere STX38

/ John Deere STX38 #1  

passgas55

Bronze Member
I need a mower for trimming in places where my tractor/5' finnishing mower won't fit. I came across a John Deere STX38 mower and know nothing about them. Would this be a grade above the LT series? The mower is 15years old and looks to be in very good shape. They want $425 for it.

/ John Deere STX38 #2  
The "LT" series replaced the STX tractors. The STX was built to last about 10 years or so.

/ John Deere STX38 #3  
I need a mower for trimming in places where my tractor/5' finnishing mower won't fit. I came across a John Deere STX38 mower and know nothing about them. Would this be a grade above the LT series? 1*The mower is 15years old and looks to be in very good shape. They want $425 for it.

The "LT" series replaced the STX tractors. 2*The STX was built to last about 10 years or so.
Looks like it's living on borrowed time.

/ John Deere STX38 #4  
I need a mower for trimming in places where my tractor/5' finnishing mower won't fit. I came across a John Deere STX38 mower and know nothing about them. Would this be a grade above the LT series? The mower is 15years old and looks to be in very good shape. They want $425 for it.

I recently bought a small farm, and a JD STX36 came with it. The mower is about 25 years old, and although is showing its age a bit, does pretty well. I am currently mowing about an acre of lawn with it.

My only problems with it are the front axle, and the mower deck adjustments. Front axle seems loose, sometimes left front wheel catches on mower deck when turning left. I would like to fix that.

The motor is sweet though as is the hydrostatic drive. The previous owner must have taken better than average care of it.

/ John Deere STX38 #5  
I bought a well used STX 38 with the black version deck. It would not steer or start and I bought it at a very good price. I replaced the broken steering pivot pin and bushings, cleaned the fuel tank and lines, drained the carb and now it starts, steers and mows better than a hungry billy goat. Oh, I even found a new set of rear tires and wheels at a local You Pick It junk yard for $20. The wheels are white but there are no John Deere police around so I am safe until I can buy a can of JD green spray paint.

I am using it to close mow around the brush and trees where I cannot get under with my JD 2305 because of the roll bar

The parts breakdown on the John Deer web site was very helpful in identifying the broken or missing parts which were stocked locally by our John Deer dealer.

/ John Deere STX38 #6  
I bought a well used STX 38 with the black version deck. It would not steer or start and I bought it at a very good price. I replaced the broken steering pivot pin and bushings, cleaned the fuel tank and lines, drained the carb and now it starts, steers and mows better than a hungry billy goat. Oh, I even found a new set of rear tires and wheels at a local You Pick It junk yard for $20. The wheels are white but there are no John Deere police around so I am safe until I can buy a can of JD green spray paint.

LOL your still busted,, The STX38 has YELLOW wheels! ;)

/ John Deere STX38 #7  

No the LT's where a better unit by far. IMO the stx series was the first 100 series machine. Shartly after their demise came the sabers, then the scotts, then finally 100 series. I truly believe the stx was the first foray twoards those units. If you can get er for about 1/2 that may be worth putting a few bucks into (ie the battery a guy always has to get when getting a used unit, or carb kit, etc).

/ John Deere STX38 #8  
I agree that the price should be lower for a used unit of that age. I paid $225 for my "needs work" STX 38. Between the steering pin, bushings, newer rear tires and wheels I spent an additional $50 getting it ready to mow and replacing small missing parts like replacing bent over nails with original lock pins. The seat could be replaced, but that is a cosmetic issue which I will ignore. It is not a beauty queen or a restoration project, just a tool to make the grass shorter. The stamped metal components are more like the big box store John Deere versions that have been noted in previous posts. The engine seems to be the best part. I like the idea of an oil filter on the engine.