John deere 160

/ John deere 160 #1  

dan32

I have a John Deere 160 that used to run like a champ. last year I had difficulty starting it. If I got it running i had better not shut it down. This year it wont start at all. gas is not the issue, new battery and new spark plug. I turn the key and it will click but that is it. I would appreciate any feedback. thanks

/ John deere 160 #2  
I have a John Deere 160 that used to run like a champ. last year I had difficulty starting it. If I got it running i had better not shut it down. This year it wont start at all. gas is not the issue, new battery and new spark plug. I turn the key and it will click but that is it. I would appreciate any feedback. thanks

Hello
If all of your connections are clean and tight your starter might be dragging too much.
You might be better off replacing it.
There might be a repair shop near you that can test it and give you a price if its bad.
I could also just be a bad starter solenoid.

/ John deere 160 #3  
Welcolm to the board guys! I'm with Bill on this one. Starters typical 'swell' a little when heated up after running a while. If yours tight when cold, it's probably on the way out. Anyone remember crawling under the car, and rapping the starter with a hammer, to get that 'one-more-start'? ~Scotty

/ John deere 160
thanks guys - I will try replacing the starter.

/ John deere 160 #5  
Has your 160 been updated by adding a relay between your key switch and the starter? If not, then I would reccomend you try that before replacing the starter or solonoid. Those are both very expensive parts - a few years ago the solonoid was $75 and the starter was 150+.
In the past, JD Parts had a plug-in Relay Kit for those machines that s$old for less than $20 (don't know if it is still available or not), or you can just add a basic 12 volt automotive relay and some wire for probably less than $10.

/ John deere 160 #6  
Good catch John! Also if it's a swollen armature, It's likey 'toast', BUT if you've got a 'Starter shop' around, rebuilding may be an option! Do the headlights 'die' when you try to crank? If so, I even more likely it's your culprit. Keep us posted! ~Scotty

/ John deere 160
no headlights on my 160. I will try replacing the starter and hopefully she starts. thanks

/ John deere 160 #8  
My reccomendation has nothing to do with headlights.
Over time, the contacts in the ignition switch become worn or pitted and don't provide enough amperage to the starter solenoid so it just clicks instead of engaging the starter.
You can use a 12 volt relay (just like you would in a light circuit) to supply high amperage 12 volt power directly to the starter solenoid when the key switch is in the start position.
This was a very common problem on the 160 family. JD Parts carried a Relay Kit to solve this problem for several years - it may still be available.